For Canadians Buying Joint Carnival Stock

Lido deck main

Hi, 

For Canadians for jointly purchasing CCL stock, how to we do that, can we do that in an RRSP,  Or does it have to be in a joint margin account.  We would prefer joint RRSP, but don’t know if that is possible.  What vehicle do you use. Can we purchased joint CCL shares, do you use something like Questrade?

8 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi, 

For Canadians for jointly purchasing CCL stock, how to we do that, can we do that in an RRSP,  Or does it have to be in a joint margin account.  We would prefer joint RRSP, but don’t know if that is possible.  What vehicle do you use. Can we purchased joint CCL shares, do you use something like Questrade?

Hi there.  As @Lynda S mentions, you can hold any security within a self-directed RSP. However both SD-RSP and SD-TFSA are limited as individual accounts. One can name a power of attorney to control the account, but the tax benefit accrues to the named account holder.   I assume you're looking to be jointly named on the account so both you and your fellow jointee can enjoy the shareholder benefit as named parties ?   That would need to be a separate cash or margin account to hold that, and it cannot be registered (again b/c of the individual tax benefits)    Easiest place to do this, would likely be where the bulk of your RSPs are sitting now, as a related account to the bulk of your holdings?

I bank w/ TD, but I expect all the major banks are similar -- pretty easy to do set the thing up yourself online 

https://www.td.com/ca/en/investing/direct-investing/trading-accounts/cash/

Scott. 

3 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Hi there.  As @Lynda S mentions, you can hold any security within a self-directed RSP. However both SD-RSP and SD-TFSA are limited as individual accounts. One can name a power of attorney to control the account, but the tax benefit accrues to the named account holder.   I assume you're looking to be jointly named on the account so both you and your fellow jointee can enjoy the shareholder benefit as named parties ?   That would need to be a separate cash or margin account to hold that, and it cannot be registered (again b/c of the individual tax benefits)    Easiest place to do this, would likely be where the bulk of your RSPs are sitting now, as a related account to the bulk of your holdings?

I bank w/ TD, but I expect all the major banks are similar -- pretty easy to do set the thing up yourself online 

https://www.td.com/ca/en/investing/direct-investing/trading-accounts/cash/

Scott. 

Thanks Scott perfect.  That is the information I was looking for.

• Thanks 1