GoPro location for dog sledding

dmdiver

So, I know that we have to be able to wear our GoPro for glacier dog sledding.  For those who have done this before, is it best to have head mount, chest mount or wrist mount?  We've done wrist for scuba diving, but not sure which will be best for this.  I'm thinking maybe head mount if hubby can do it without his hood or hat interfering.  Since you can't take a bag of gear with you on the helicopter, I'd like to be sure we choose the best method.  Any advice?

5 hours ago, dmdiver said:

So, I know that we have to be able to wear our GoPro for glacier dog sledding.  For those who have done this before, is it best to have head mount, chest mount or wrist mount?  We've done wrist for scuba diving, but not sure which will be best for this.  I'm thinking maybe head mount if hubby can do it without his hood or hat interfering.  Since you can't take a bag of gear with you on the helicopter, I'd like to be sure we choose the best method.  Any advice?

I would attach the GoPro to the front railing of the sled with a flexible tripod and I don't think the musher would have any problem with it.  You can carry a flexible tripod in your coat pocket.  Another option would to ask the musher if you could attach it to the harness of a rear sled dog.  I'm sure you would not be the first to ask.

Of note, the sled seat is not padded so your backsides will not be very comfortable as you bounce over the snow.  Hopefully, you have a GoPro 7 or 8 to take advantage of the better image stabilization.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/skagway-dogsledding/P5120105-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only had my GP7Black for 15 months but I think I would use it head mounted. That would give you the option of capturing video of more than just the sled dogs and up front view. To get good stabilization, I've found setting on 1080p/120fps/linear works great with standard stabilization on. If you want to use Hypersmooth stabilization you can drop back to 60fps and shoot in 2.7k resolution. My 65" 4k TV does a superb job of up-converting the 1080p resolution. I found the 90 degree FOV (linear) was more than good enough (no need for wide or superview). When shooting at 120fps, then doing editing and playback at 60 or even 24fps, it gives the video an almost cinematic feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1