Not sure I understand how FCC works

We (brand new cruisers) have a big family cruise for 17 people booked in July. It doesn't look like it's going to happen. PIF date is soon approaching in a couple of weeks.

If we decide, before PIF, to move to a date in 2021, do we need to pay the deposits again, and then the FCC gets applied toward the total cost of the cruise?

Are people paying the deposit but then getting the FCC essentially refunded to them as cash back once all the paperwork is done?

My parents (who are footing the bill) have several thousand dollars tied up in the deposits right now - I think it would be much more palatabale to them to move to a cruise next year if their exposure (dollars sitting with RCI) did not essentially double because of this.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.

32 minutes ago, tallgirl97 said:

We (brand new cruisers) have a big family cruise for 17 people booked in July. It doesn't look like it's going to happen. PIF date is soon approaching in a couple of weeks.

If we decide, before PIF, to move to a date in 2021, do we need to pay the deposits again, and then the FCC gets applied toward the total cost of the cruise?

Are people paying the deposit but then getting the FCC essentially refunded to them as cash back once all the paperwork is done?

My parents (who are footing the bill) have several thousand dollars tied up in the deposits right now - I think it would be much more palatabale to them to move to a cruise next year if their exposure (dollars sitting with RCI) did not essentially double because of this.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.

If you want to move a cruise that is scheduled to sail prior to July 31, 2020 you can move it without penalty.  Any NRD fee will be waived.  Since you are moving it the deposits will just move and no FCC will be issued.  

If you are unsure of what cruise you want to want to take you can cancel and s FCC will be issued for the full deposit amount in the case of a NRD.

if you have a refundable deposit then you can cancel and get your deposit refunded. 

43 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you want to move a cruise that is scheduled to sail prior to July 31, 2020 you can move it without penalty.  Any NRD fee will be waived.  Since you are moving it the deposits will just move and no FCC will be issued.  

If you are unsure of what cruise you want to want to take you can cancel and s FCC will be issued for the full deposit amount in the case of a NRD.

if you have a refundable deposit then you can cancel and get your deposit refunded. 

Ok stupid question. I would assume NRD is non refundable deposit, however, I had FIVE NTDs listed on the pdf file for the cruise I booked with them. Like there was a $50 off pp, listed as a NRD. They looked like promotions, not anything to do with my deposit.

I might as well figure this out so I learn. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ok stupid question. I would assume NRD is non refundable deposit, however, I had FIVE NTDs listed on the pdf file for the cruise I booked with them. Like there was a $50 off pp, listed as a NRD. They looked like promotions, not anything to do with my deposit.

I might as well figure this out so I learn. 

NRD is non refundable deposit. 

The $50 is a promo that you received for booking a NRD.  You are correct, they have nothing to do with your deposit. 

I'm on the line with RCI right now. They're telling me I can't simply move my deposit to a new sailing, but must pay the new deposit on the 2021 cruise, and take the FCC to be put toward the balance of the cost. Is this true? The alternative is to cancel the current cruise and pay a penalty of $100 per person, then book a new cruise from scratch.

Because we are a group of 17, this means we'd need to pay out another $4250 in deposits. Was really hoping to avoid having to do that right now.

Sorry, false alarm. I challenged the fee, she checked with a supervisor, and is now entering a code to waive the change fee. All is well (except for the fact that the cruise is substantially more expensive than what we are currently booked at for 2020. 😒)