Cruising for over SEVENTIES or not

Hi P&J

Similare.Received and email a week or so ago regards our travel insurance.

Luckily we had already booked two hols for this year pre that date,one cruise which has virtually no chance of going ahead and one  in florida(still hopeful)And also a cruise for next year which will be covered

We have a 2021 cruise that was booked before the cut off date but was wondering what happens when we come to renew our yearly insurance. Will we have to take it out with corona excluded or will they still honour it as it stands at the moment.

hope this makes sense.

We are with LV. Although they have stopped selling new policies at the moment due to Covid 19, existing customers who renewed prior to the pandemic being declared still have the same cover as before, and they will renew these policies as they become due, with the same cover as before (I believe). At what price is the question I cant answer till late August

I got an email from UK Direct who are the Insurers for Nationwide who said that any holidays cancelled in future would not be covered for Coronovirus Can't remember date as email has moved to my computer So I'll logon and check and get back

Important information for Nationwide members

Coronavirus and travel

These are unprecedented times for all of us, and we appreciate your understanding as we find the best ways to protect and assist our members.

Are you covered for coronavirus related travel insurance claims?

Insurance is there to help with unknown or unforeseeable events. Cover is not available for holidays in the UK or abroad since coronavirus became a known event. This will affect your cover differently depending on when you opened your current account.

If you opened your FlexPlus account on or after 18 March

Your travel insurance will not provide cover for any claim for trips in the UK or abroad caused by the coronavirus pandemic. This is because it is now a known event.

If you opened your account before 18 March

For trips booked on or after 18 March

Your travel insurance with your FlexPlus or FlexAccount will not cover you for trips in the UK or abroad booked on or after 18 March, now that the risks of coronavirus are known. This also applies to any new upgrades you may be purchasing for trips booked before 18 March 2020.

For trips booked before 18 March

If you booked a trip before the 18 March, cover is available for coronavirus related claims for trips in the UK or abroad. This is because you could not have known of the risks when you booked. 

Please see the frequently asked questions below for details on the cover provided.

Making a claim

We are only able to process your coronavirus related claim if:

• You opened your account and booked your trip before 18 March.
  • You have already spoken to your travel provider.
  • Your trip is supposed to take place in the next 28 days.

Remember, there is no time limit on making a claim under your travel insurance. So, no matter when you were due to go on your trip, you can contact us to make a claim at any time, even if that’s after your trip was due to start.

Make a claim online

If you were due to travel within 28 days, you can make a claim for cancellation online.

Make a travel insurance claim online

Calling our claims teams

The claims teams are extremely busy at the moment and are focusing on members who are currently abroad or due to travel in the next 48 hours.

If you do need to speak to someone, the claims department can be reached on 0800 051 0154.

If you’re not due to travel for another 48 hours, please use our online claim form.

Before your travel date

Stay up to date with the latest travel information and advice

From 17th March 2020, FCO has advised against all but essential travel for all UK citizens to anywhere in the world.

We advise all members who are due to travel to monitor and follow the advice issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO):

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus

Speak to your travel provider

If you need to change your plans as a result of the FCO advice, contact your travel provider. They can provide advice on refunds and amendments to any trips you have booked. They will be able to advise on the options available to you.

Anyone who booked their trip and had insurance in place before 18 March 2020, and is due to travel in the next 28 days, is covered for cancellation. That’s also true for anyone who is currently abroad and needs to cut their trip short.

Travel refunds through your card

If your trip is cancelled because of coronavirus, you may be able to claim a refund for your holiday through your debit or credit card. 

Coronavirus (COVID-19) help and support

We’re here to help if you have any worries regarding coronavirus whether it’s money, managing your accounts, getting to branch or fraud.

FAQ's

If your account was open and you booked your trip before 18th March 2020

Can I cancel my holiday if I don't want to go because of coronavirus (COVID-19) risks?- select to show or hide related content.

I booked my trip before 18th March when no travel guidance was in place, but I now need to purchase an age or medical upgrade. Will I be covered?- select to show or hide related content.

If the country I’m travelling to a has closed its borders, can I claim for my accommodation?- select to show or hide related content.

I've only paid the deposit for my holiday. Can I claim it back?- select to show or hide related content.

I have a UK trip booked, can I claim for cancellation?- select to show or hide related content.

I am currently abroad, should I return to the UK?- select to show or hide related content.

Am I covered for medical expenses if I catch coronavirus while on holiday?- select to show or hide related content.

Am I covered if the country I am due to travel to changes its entry and visa requirements?- select to show or hide related content.

I booked a holiday before 18 March when no travel guidance was in place. My Tour operator has offered to re-schedule my holiday later in the year. Am I still covered for coronavirus cancellations?- select to show or hide related content.

My Tour Operator has offered me a travel voucher or credit to re-book my holiday for a later date. If I decline this, will I be able to claim on travel Insurance?- select to show or hide related content.

Before you contact our claims team 

For any trip, whether abroad or in the UK, you must first seek a refund from your trip provider and the provider of your debit or credit card in the first instance before you contact the travel insurance claims team. This applies where you have spent more than £100 on the card and the service you have paid for is not being provided, e.g. the hotel you booked is closed. However, if the hotel is available but you cannot get there due to flight cancellation, your card issuer will not cover that.

Important Note: This general advice does not replace the terms and conditions of your Travel Insurance policy and you should read your policy booklet for further information.

Did you find this page helpful?