Early Saver Question

SmileEh

I have a booking Jan 2021 under Early Saver in which a $250 deposit was made... My friend is saying she doesn't want to go now due to losing her job from covid-19... I know we have to pay a $50 penalty per person and the remaining $150 will be given a Future Cruise Credit... The booking was initially made in her name... My question is can I get the Future Cruise Credit put in my name even though she's the Primary booker?

44 minutes ago, SmileEh said:

I have a booking Jan 2021 under Early Saver in which a $250 deposit was made... My friend is saying she doesn't want to go now due to losing her job from covid-19... I know we have to pay a $50 penalty per person and the remaining $150 will be given a Future Cruise Credit... The booking was initially made in her name... My question is can I get the Future Cruise Credit put in my name even though she's the Primary booker?

The credit will go to the passenger it was for regardless of who paid for it, at least that is my understanding. I would try reaching out to Carnival via phone or email, they might waive this because of the current situation (but then again, they might not).

Carnival's FAQ's state that: "Future cruise credits are issued in the name of the original payee, regardless of whether they were ever booked in the cancelled reservation. For bookings paid with a travel agency credit card or check, the cruise credit will then be issued in the name of the cancelled guest."

OP, how was the deposit paid? To me, that says whoever made the payment is who they'll issue the credit to.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:35 PM, drsel said:

Maybe she can use it later after she gets a new job

I think the OP is implying that they would like half the FCC. If that's what they're saying, and they paid for half, I agree they deserve half. That's the problem with the way Carnival has it set up. The FCC gets issued to one person when there may have been multiple people who helped pay for it.

On 3/24/2020 at 10:42 AM, SmileEh said:

I just checked a future Early Saver booking of mine where I paid $250 deposit and the terms of cancellation are loss of $250; no $50 penalty and no $150 Future Cruise Credit.  You can check online under booking details and there's a link for cancellation options that details how much cancelling will cost you.

3 hours ago, PaulMedik said:

I just checked a future Early Saver booking of mine where I paid $250 deposit and the terms of cancellation are loss of $250; no $50 penalty and no $150 Future Cruise Credit.  You can check online under booking details and there's a link for cancellation options that details how much cancelling will cost you.

I never pay attention to the amount that shows there. We paid a $150 deposit for our next cruise, so ours says our penalty amount would be $150. That's because with Early Saver, the deposit is non-refundable; so yes, the entire deposit is technically the penalty amount (before final payment date). But you still get the deposit as a future cruise credit, minus the $50 per person fee. So if we cancelled now, we'd have to pay a $100 fee (two of us) and the remaining $50 becomes a FCC that has to be used within 24 months from the cancellation date. In your case, if you're the only one on the booking, you'll be assessed a $50 fee and the remaining $200 will go towards the FCC. Carnival reps. have been known to waive the $50 fee on occasion, but that isn't the norm.

The amount you see there will change once you reach your final payment date because you'll then be within their cancellation penalty period. After final payment date, the penalty amount increases as the cruise gets closer.

13 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Carnival's FAQ's state that: "Future cruise credits are issued in the name of the original payee, regardless of whether they were ever booked in the cancelled reservation. For bookings paid with a travel agency credit card or check, the cruise credit will then be issued in the name of the cancelled guest."

OP, how was the deposit paid? To me, that says whoever made the payment is who they'll issue the credit to.

I think the OP is implying that they would like half the FCC. If that's what they're saying, and they paid for half, I agree they deserve half. That's the problem with the way Carnival has it set up. The FCC gets issued to one person when there may have been multiple people who helped pay for it.

Thanks for that quote, I'll have to file that away. As for the last paragraph I can imagine the administrative nightmare that would be, unless the people helping to pay for the cruise used their own cards to pay their portion.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Thanks for that quote, I'll have to file that away. As for the last paragraph I can imagine the administrative nightmare that would be, unless the people helping to pay for the cruise used their own cards to pay their portion.

Yeah, I understand why they have to have a policy to issue the FCC to a single person, but it can (and does) cause issues for people who share the expense. To my knowledge, they aren't able to split credits once they're issued, correct? Whether it's a future cruise credit or even OBC...if they issue it to one person, they can't then divide it, can they?

25 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Yeah, I understand why they have to have a policy to issue the FCC to a single person, but it can (and does) cause issues for people who share the expense. To my knowledge, they aren't able to split credits once they're issued, correct? Whether it's a future cruise credit or even OBC...if they issue it to one person, they can't then divide it, can they?

I don't know and hope never to find out (I'm the one that pays for all of our trips and it's only DW and myself).

On 3/25/2020 at 5:38 PM, Organized Chaos said:

The booking was made by her and I am listed as the second passenger and I made the payment with my credit card

7 hours ago, SmileEh said:

The booking was made by her and I am listed as the second passenger and I made the payment with my credit card

Have you made any progress with this? According to Carnival's official policy, then the should issue the FCC to you, not her, since you paid. Then again, they don't always adhere to their own policies, so I'd be sure to follow through with them. Problem is, with everything going on, the call center is swamped, so you either have to wait on hold for a long time or wait until things calm down. Good luck.