Cruise Credit Refund

On 4/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, BobbiSox said:

I refer to HAL specifically because that is the company holding my money. I have no doubt that other companies are 'in the same boat'. I would suspect bad management to be at the root of the problem; if in fact they are 'overwhelmed' , it suggests to me that   they have not had the good sense to prepare for an emergency of this magnitude. Maybe they would be wise to consider hiring  future staff who have a better  perspective. It isn't my job to figure out why they can't refund my money as promptly as they accepted it. They never seemed to be 'overwhelmed' when they were accepting multi-millions of dollars in bookings which are paid in advance (and not sixty days later).   I may not understand the intricacies  of high finance, but I do understand the feeling that I'm being screwed.  I'm not okay with their explanations.

Sounds like you need to take a chill pill and let the process take place.  You are assuming that you are getting screwed just because it is not happening on your timeline.  Hang in there.  Life is too short to worry about something that has not even taken place yet.

• Like 7

On 4/24/2020 at 5:20 PM, BobbiSox said:

I refer to HAL specifically because that is the company holding my money. I have no doubt that other companies are 'in the same boat'. I would suspect bad management to be at the root of the problem; if in fact they are 'overwhelmed' , it suggests to me that   they have not had the good sense to prepare for an emergency of this magnitude. Maybe they would be wise to consider hiring  future staff who have a better  perspective. It isn't my job to figure out why they can't refund my money as promptly as they accepted it. They never seemed to be 'overwhelmed' when they were accepting multi-millions of dollars in bookings which are paid in advance (and not sixty days later).   I may not understand the intricacies  of high finance, but I do understand the feeling that I'm being screwed.  I'm not okay with their explanations.

You better send your claim to COVID-19 in Wuhan. That's the one that actually "screwed" you. 

23 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

You better send your claim to COVID-19 in Wuhan. That's the one that actually "screwed" you. 

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't quite understand it though. I paid Holland America. I didn't send any money to Wuhan! Maybe you misread my original post. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:10 PM, LMHSRN said:

Sounds like you need to take a chill pill and let the process take place.  You are assuming that you are getting screwed just because it is not happening on your timeline.  Hang in there.  Life is too short to worry about something that has not even taken place yet.

Thank you for your insight, but I'm afraid you may have misunderstood my original post. What exactly "has not taken place yet"? My cruise was paid for, HAL took my money, the cruise was canceled, HAL kept my money. It's that simple. I do l appreciate your philosophical outlook though. Wasn't is Alfred E. Newman who always said "What? Me worry?" ?

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, BobbiSox said:

How is it bad management? How can a company prepare for a sudden cessation of their profit centers, while at the same time writing off the fares and on board spending of those who were still on board? How can a company, any company, prepare for what has been essentially a complete shutdown of most of the economy?

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 5:32 PM, richwmn said:

How is it bad management? How can a company prepare for a sudden cessation of their profit centers, while at the same time writing off the fares and on board spending of those who were still on board? How can a company, any company, prepare for what has been essentially a complete shutdown of most of the economy?

When a company takes my money for a product or a service, then doesn't deliver, I expect my money refunded. If it isn't refunded in a timely manner,  that's bad business. I don't want excuses. I want my money back. Major corporations, like Carnival, should have had policies in place that protect them from this kind of major financial disaster, ever since Titanic. They pay people to prepare for the unexpected. HAL is trying to sell me more cruises, even during these uncertain times,  and that is just another an example of their audacity. I love Holland America in general; I am ten days away from Five-Star Mariner. It is Carnival Corp. and their management that I hold responsible, in the big scheme of things.  

Edited by BobbiSox
typo
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 5:32 PM, richwmn said:

Just a thought, should cruise lines be required to put our money in an escrow account until the service is delivered? That would alleviate the refund problem.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 7:19 AM, BobbiSox said:

I was scheduled for the April 6th sailing on Rotterdam. On March 13th, HAL called and offered me an upgrade to a Neptune Suite for $2058.00, which I gladly excepted and paid for by credit card. The debit appeared the next day, as did HAL's cancellation notification. I am trying to understand how HAL could have made me the offer and collected my payment hours before they canceled. I find it difficult to believe they didn't know what was happening only hours before it happened. This trip would have put me in the 5-star Mariner category. The premium insurance, which I bought through HAL, told me I am NOT covered for this type of cancelation; the insurance pays ONLY if I cancel, and not if HAL cancels. After spending 20 years traveling with HAL, I am horrified to be treated in this manner. There is no recourse other than to wait for the 'refund' and hope they are not buying time until they can file bankruptcy. I am too old to start building up my 'loyalty' with another line. 

There is recourse - put the charge in dispute with your credit card company. I told my HAL rep yesterday "I am not your bank". They are using their cash flow problems to grab interest-free loans from their loyal customers.

• Like 1

There is recourse - put the charge in dispute with your credit card company. I told my HAL rep yesterday "I am not your bank". They are using their cash flow problems to grab interest-free loans from their loyal customers.

• Like 1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, promosinc said:

Thanks. My bank settled one dispute for me;  the upgrade payment was returned, but not the payment for the original cabin. Still waiting for the decision for that amount.