Changing a Cruse with only a Deposit Put Down Currently

graysonman

Hi everyone,

I am just trying to figure out what we might consider doing ( like everyone else these days ) regarding a future cruise.

We currently have only a $200 deposit put down on a cruise to the Western Med. in July.

Our final payment date is April 12. I know that one option would be to pay for this cruise and gamble that it gets cancelled and receive FCC (maybe even 125% if they cancel it) through Celebrity's Cruise with Confidence Program.

Just wondering (as it seems likely that these cruises will no doubt be changed/cancelled, or severely altered before too long), Can we simply change this $200 booking to a similar cruise in the Summer of 2021 by calling Celebrity? Not sure if the program offered by Celebrity allows us to do this. At this time there are similar cruises offered to the one we have booked on the Constellation (I see that some different ports have been added/deleted). It would be great to be able to hold on to our money at this time and save it to pay for a future cruise later with only $200 being given to Celebrity for now.

We booked this upcoming cruise at the Future Cruise Shop on the Silhouette during our Christmas cruise (awesome cruise BTW!!) so I am pretty sure it is non-refundable.

As it is we have money tied up in flights and hotels for this Summer and it is such a waiting game to see what we will need to do about getting some form of reimbursement for that if we don't go (of course everything we booked is non-refundable - hopefully it gets cancelled for us!!).

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar issue and has decided to make changes to cruise for next year instead.

Thanks for any advice that is given!

The first issue is whether the booking was made with a non-refundable, or refundable deposit.  If you look at the confirmation you received, you can look for this wording:

"The minimum deposit for this reservation is Non-Refundable. A change fee of 100 USD per guest will apply for ship or sail date changes."

Also, when you book on board, they have you sign an acknowledgement that it's a non-refundable booking, so you may remember that. 

If it's non-refundable, you'd be out $200.00 to move it to a different cruise right now.  If it's refundable, no loss.  In either event you could definitely change to a 2021 sailing.  Also, even if it's non-refundable, you'd want to definitely change this booking, rather than cancel and re-book, as that will keep the on-board credit you got for booking on board.

Harris

Denver, CO

It will depend if you have a refundable or non-refundable fare.  The easiest way to tell is if you have the guest invoice look for this line right above the final payment date.   If it's not there then you have a refundable deposit and you can change the sail date at any time before final payment.  If it is a non-refundable deposit then there is a $100 pp admin fee so you would lose the $200.

The minimum deposit for this reservation is Non-Refundable. A change fee of 100 USD per guest will apply for ship or sail date changes.
Final Payment is due by 15 AUG 2020, 5:00 PM EST

Since this was booked on board just make sure to not cancel the reservation and just change the sailing date/ship.  That way you will still get the book onboard OBC and retain the reduced deposit.  I'm not sure if you have a NRD if they would just let you pay the $200 and still keep the original booking number.   This would be advantageous to keep the book onboard benefits.

Of course you would be changing pricing/perk to the current promo for the new cruise.  

Airlines will most likely allow you to get a credit even with a non changeable ticket.  A refund is mostly impossible today.  You could then rebook and apply your credit. 

Hotels are mostly simply cancelling.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I did check my confirmation and it is non-refundable deposit.

I am wondering if they will waive the change fees due to the recent circumstances?

Anyways, for now we will sit and wait until just prior to the final payment deadline to see what we will do. I am sure by then more cruises will be cancelled and maybe we will have a better idea of what to do.

4 minutes ago, graysonman said:

Thanks for the input everyone.

I did check my confirmation and it is non-refundable deposit.

I am wondering if they will waive the change fees due to the recent circumstances?

Anyways, for now we will sit and wait until just prior to the final payment deadline to see what we will do. I am sure by then more cruises will be cancelled and maybe we will have a better idea of what to do.

Hi Graysonman,

I am.in the same situation. The advice I received is to sit tight as long as I can (my final payment is around 4/24) to see if the Cruise with Confidence gets extended. Best of luck to you!