Plus size evening gowns

PammyJeanB

Another quandry I'm in....any suggestions for evening gowns for the "fuller figure"?

I've been all over the internet, but either they're cheap looking, out of stock, or in a price range that I'd have to take out a second mortgage for. :eek:

Something under $200.???

Ok, I'm the first to reply to my own message, guess I should have been a little more patient in my search because I've just found a great website!

I've located http://www.alight.com/index.html - it's for sizes 14-28 and they have fantastic evening gowns....some expensive, but some very reasonable. Not sure of the quality until I receive the dress, but they look to be of good quality and they have the elegant look I was searching for.

So, FYI to those of fluffier figures!:D

I was also looking online as the area where I live doesn't have any formal wear places and all the department stores still have velvets and winter type material things in stock. Went 20 miles from home to a plus size shop (I knew it was there) and fell in love with sheer silk kimono style jackets. The colors are bright and the material flows when you walk. To go with them I got a long slinky material dress and also a silk pants set. All were on half price sale - that's what tempted me to get both jackets. A bargain since it all cost less than half of what I paid for the last formal dress I bought.

Try JC Penny.

They have a great womens online catalog plus in the stores have many deals. They have extended sizes and even really nice dresses for about $80.00.

My sister used to go to Pennys when she was a travel agent...and it looks like the've even gotten a better selection now.:)

Just a thought. Have a great cruise:D

Dave:eek:

try robinsonsmay.com or dillards.com.

they were getting rid of the evening wear from the holidays. Also try coldwatercreek.com. They sometimes have dressier outfits but also have a great clearance section with quite a few pairs of shoes (dressy) available. Macys.com might have some black dresses.

I know this may be a rehash, but Lane Bryant catalog and Roamans both offer nice quality evening attire very reasonably. (be careful to read fabric descriptions, as quality can vary). Also try Speigal catalog on line....

I have had good luck with several of the lines on HSN.com..... most all their fashions are available in plus, and they have good sales and a 30day return policy.

Good luck!

I like catherines.com, I went to the store location and bought my formal outfit plus a dressy blouse to go with the dressy skirt, (wore the skirt twice). Bought my dress slacks and capris from the website, the sizes seem to run true and they have pretty good clearances.

I found 2 on sale at the nordstrom.com site, I'll posy pics and links:

159487.jpg

the link (it's under $75, but only a size 16 plus listed!)

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2867084&category=2376788~6002242~2377932&PrevStyleID=2870501&NextStyleID=2873958

96807_1.jpg

I like this one, more sizes available, black or red, comes with the shawl for $69.90. The link:

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2821513&category=2376788~6002242~2377932&PrevStyleID=2869587&NextStyleID=2882555

or:

I emailed Alright for help getting the right size - my hips are waaayy out there compared to the rest of me. Picutre an hourglass that has too much sand at the bottom ! :rolleyes: :D Sooo, it looks like whatever I purchase for an evening gown will have to be altered to fit appropriately.

Actually though, I'm thinking that if this is the case then I can go ahead and pick up a dress ( am going today to check out some of the sites posted that I haven't visited yet) and if, by the holy grace of Weight Watchers, I drop some lbs.....that's ok, I'm not out of a dress and won't be stressing with the turn around time for exchanges!

Holy geeze....what an ordeal:eek:

p.s. ~ love the pics of those two dresses!!

I've been to both sites, and really liked Roamans, but wasn't interested in their dresses. I did, however, order some capris and tops there. I thought the prices were very reasonable. I also noticed that they have at regular price some of the "clearance" clothing that I was looking at just a few weeks ago. I would think they'd still be on clearance as they were last years fashions.

After my son was born I was in plus sizes and had a hard time finding anything I liked, as I'm fussy about clothes. Talbots always had a few very nice evening outfits for plus sizes and they are nicely made with good fabrics. Many of their things are separates, making it easy to pick up, for example, a dressy black skirt and two different tops to wear with it. If you have a Talbots outlet in town, you can get some terrific buys as well. If not, they are regular stores, (Talbots Woman) and also can buy on the web.

If you're thinking of the Alex Evening dresses on the alight site you listed, a word of warning: be sure to avoid the ones that say "glitter" -- they shed glitter everywhere. I bought one a couple of years ago and was sorry. It was a beautiful dress and jacket, but I ended up with glitter on all my other clothes, all over the cabin, all over my chair at dinner, etc. I only wore it once. I know others here have had the same experience b/c I remember reading a couple of threads on it!

Also, if you like Alex Evening, search on ebay. Often you can find one (new with tags) for a fraction of the cost.

If you're thinking of the Alex Evening dresses on the alight site you listed, a word of warning: be sure to avoid the ones that say "glitter" -- they shed glitter everywhere.

Thanks for the warning, and it was an Alex Evening dress, but it doesn't have any glitter.

By the looks of these threads - many are choosing evening separates for their formal nights instead of the gowns.

I see you've been on the Star Princess - I'm going in April. Did you do the Western Caribbean?

Here are a couple places to try, they're some of my favorites online I'm a size 18/20 and can find all sorts of things here, they're specifically for plus sizes, although Kiyonna does begin at a size 12. I also have a wholesale account for Igigi, I only have to order 3 items at once to get the wholesale price, they don't have to be the same items or size so if people would like to order from there we could possibly do a wholesale deal. Alight.com has gorgeous dresses as well.

www.zaftique.com

www.kiyonna.com

www.igigi.com

my advice would be to check your local david's bridal store.. I got mine on the clearance rack for $20.00 it is a beautiful navy blue strapless gown with sequins on the top... well worth the 250 that it was originally priced at.. Good luck in your search.. hope you find what you are looking for...

If you have Filene's (Hecht's in the mid-atlantic states... and under other names in other parts of the country ... they've been recently purchased by Macy's), they have lot's of dresses on sale. I bought a beautiful plus size beaded cocktail dress originally $175 and I paid $16.50!! This is in one of the stores that they've begun liquidating. They are going to stagger the liquidations ... but they are all starting soon.

I'm an 18 everyplace but when buying my outfit for daughter's wedding I found an Alex Evening at Dillards and it was a 14. It fit perfect. The sales lady told me that Alex Evening is the only company that she knew of that you would wear a smaller size. Boy was I surprised at how great it fit!

Archived