Our plans for August might change and if we can thinking of doing trip in August..

nanatexas

The inside cabins are quite small - pretty much just the bed, a fitted closet/dresser, and a little room to move around.  The Deck 3 rooms are smaller than the Deck 4 rooms.  Not sure if there is any price difference.  Deck 3 is most convenient since you are close to the "Front Porch" cafe and deck, but I think you'd be fine in either location.

We have done St Louis to Red Wing (I dont think any of the trips actually go up to Minneapolis or St Paul) on Delta Queen several years ago.  After a half dozen or so river trips in the United States, this is still our favorite trip.  The upper Mississippi is a changing landscape of surprises each day.  Upper Mississippi so much nicer than lower Mississippi.  The locks are fun.  When we did the trip, the townsfolk in each town came out in period costume with a band to welcome us to town.  When we did the trip, St Paul docking was closed by Maritime authorities as it is immediately next to a major highway and at the time, security was a really big issue, just a few years after 9/11. Don't know why Red Wing is still the terminus of the upper Mississippi trips. Enjoy.!!!

50 minutes ago, diplomats said:

We have done St Louis to Red Wing (I dont think any of the trips actually go up to Minneapolis or St Paul) on Delta Queen several years ago. 

Like this one? 

https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/river-cruises/upper-mississippi/red-wing-(minneapolis)-to-alton-(st-louis)/?date=2020-07-12&vessel=american-duchess

Most  of the ones I have seen do not go to the city  maybe NOLA

The river can get quite shallow above RedWing. The U.S.Army Corps of Engineers promises a 9 foot channel and the AQ draws nearly that. The company plays it safe by beginning and ending the trips at RedWing. Also of note is that the trips start at Alton, Illinois which is just a bit above St. Louis.

As far as an inside room on the AQ, I see that the inside rooms on the AQ's Observation Deck have been relabeled as single deluxe rooms. I don't like that idea nor the price point and think that it's marketing chicanery on the company's part.  The inside doubles remain on the Texas Deck.  The ones towards the stern offer a bit more room, but I would go for one that is towards the head. They would definitely be more convenient.