Century Review 1/28 - 2/4/06 Part I

sassystyxfan

Western Caribbean Cruise on Celebrity Century 1/28/06

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author and are not intended to offend anyone on Cruise Critic Message Board, Celebrity and/or Century enthusiasts, or friends traveling on this cruise, nor is it the intent to start a flame war. If you fail to see the humor in this disclaimer, stop reading now. :D :p :D

A few initial thoughts: Was this the best cruise ever for me? No. Was the service the best of 5 cruises? Service in the dining room was #1 because of the best waiter we’ve ever had, Vinod. Stateroom service was the worst at #5. Was the food in the dining room good? EXCELLENT – a BIG #1 – the best. All that being said, here are explanations of the highlights and low points of our cruise.

Embarkation: Smooth and without incident. We used the online check-in process. What a great idea! We were onboard by noon as planned. The champagne on the gangway is a nice touch too. I like my pampering to start immediately! LOL

Stateroom 9251 – Family View – Category 3: Spacious? Yes. Plenty of storage? Definitely. Now for the things we thought could use some improvement: 1). The bed was against one wall. I really hated having to climb over my husband (and vice versa) to get out. 2). The sitting area was nice, but the TV could only be seen from there - only a little disappointing to not be able to catch ship news, view our account, or see shows of ship activities from our bed that we missed seeing live. Kinda nice to hit the remote, roll over and go to sleep, ya know? 3). The divider screen is a great thing for two separate family areas, but ours was absolutely filthy with dust. 4). The bathroom – showed wear and tear, but we expected it. She is 11 years old! What I did not expect was mildew in the shower, on the shower curtain and around the sink. Especially when the solution of spraying a little bleach is so easy. Inexcusable IMHO. 5). We had a big, beautiful window in our stateroom, but we couldn’t see out of it. I found that to be true ship-wide. All other ships I've been on had clean windows except while at sea. I don’t get it. I also found out how important a veranda is to me. Never again will I be without one. Even if I have to cruise less. Just me, folks. I love to run out in my jammies and watch the ship pull into port. I also like the option of being outside alone with my husband when I want to get away from the crowd.

Which leads me to our stateroom attendant: In two words…bare minimum. We never saw a bedspread on the bed (even our first time in the room). We pre-ordered liquor, but had to ask for it. Our stateroom was barely cleaned daily. I ordered champagne and chocolate strawberries for our friends next door – the bottle came only after asking about it, but I had to ask for it to be chilled. Even if room service set it on the dresser, he should have made sure it was chilled. He also didn’t make sure the strawberries came. I had to ask about that too. A little awkward, as it was a surprise birthday present for my best friend next door. Wouldn’t you expect this for sailaway when you requested it and explained why it was ordered??? Not a good first impression of Celebrity’s service for my friends. Here’s the topper…when we left we said BYE, ROLANDO! Thank you! He through up his hand goodbye and walked into another stateroom. Sorry, we are used to “Good Morning, Mr. and Mrs. K!” and a handshake, or in my case, a hug goodbye. We usually fall in love with our cabin attendants. Not this time and we tipped him nicely. I’ll re-think that next time. Other than the items mentioned above, we were so low maintenance. We were never pests so I can't see any reason why he'd be happy to be rid of us. Did any of this ruin our cruise? Not a chance. I am just saying we have had excellence in all these areas on previous cruises and this wasn’t it.

Debarkation: Just as smooth as embarkation. Well orchestrated and easy.

Public Areas: Century is in really good shape considering her age. She is clean, beautiful and holding up well. She shows a little wear and tear, but nothing major. I can’t believe how clean the carpets are in all the public areas. The dirty windows were my only complaint.

Buffet – good food (not great) – sushi bar was pretty darned good, though.

Pasta Bar – great!

Grill outside – loved the burgers and fries.

Activities and Entertainment: Pretty fun activities (what little we saw - we were way busy doing other things). Entertainment has been much more impressive on other cruises. We hear we missed only one really good show, but by the description it sounded like stuff we had seen before on other ships.

Staff: Salon – great. Cocktail waiters/bartenders – great. Martini Bar – great. Excursion desk – great.

Officers – not real friendly, preoccupied.

Did we have a great time? Absolutely! How bad can a cruise be? Bottom line…I usually have the feeling that I don’t want to leave the ship. As the shuttle, bus or taxi leaves the ship, I am usually sad and want to snap my fingers and be back on the ship. I didn’t feel that way this time. Will I sail with Celebrity again? You betcha! On Century? Probably not. Maybe – who knows? I judged one ship, during one cruise, one mediocre stateroom attendant and a few annoyances. I still had a wonderful time. I just wasn’t all warm and fuzzy when we left!

I will write about our excursions in Part II of this review coming soon. Every single excursion we did was GREAT. We did two through Celebrity and two private excursions. If anyone has any questions, please ask.

P.S. Hated the engine noise in the dining room. Hard to hear conversations and felt like a rattle trap. Sorry.

Hi Sassy !

Thanks for the great review. I am sorry your cruise was less than perfect, but overall, it looks like you had a pretty good time, and that's great !

I know what you mean about a bad Cabin attendant. I had a horrible Cabin attendant on Millennium a few years back, and it definately made the Cruise slightly disappointing. There was no service, everything (including towels) had to be asked for, and the man definately did not care to make any effort to please us. Of course, we made the best of it. I was not going to let his attiude ruin our Cruise.

We were on Century a few months ago, and had one of the best Cruises ever. We had an incredible Waiter, who made our Dining experience fantastic. We had such a great time, that we booked Century again for March 9th. I know some areas need some sprucing up, and I am sure Celebrity will take care of that in the April Drydock.

I would definately suggest you try Century again after her Drydock, and not book a Cabin in the same area :)

Hopefully, we will have a great time on her again. Only about a month to go before our sailing.

Hi Sassy !

Thanks for the great review. I am sorry your cruise was less than perfect, but overall, it looks like you had a pretty good time, and that's great !

I know what you mean about a bad Cabin attendant. I had a horrible Cabin attendant on Millennium a few years back, and it definately made the Cruise slightly disappointing. There was no service, everything (including towels) had to be asked for, and the man definately did not care to make any effort to please us. Of course, we made the best of it. I was not going to let his attiude ruin our Cruise.

I know some areas need some sprucing up, and I am sure Celebrity will take care of that in the April Drydock.

I would definately suggest you try Century again after her Drydock, and not book a Cabin in the same area :)

We had a GREAT time, thanks Andy. It takes a LOT for ME to not have fun! We did make the best of it - I wouldn't have it any other way.

Another thing that was really strange was the rudeness of passengers on this ship. I didn't mention it before because it wasn't ship/cruiseline specific. I saw so many unbelievably rude people! People cutting in lines in the buffet line, reaching over you to get things, grabbing food WITHOUT using the tongs (that one killed me) and passengers talking to staff like they were dogs. After the first two days of that, I decided to let it go and not watch anymore. It wasn't going to change, so I was the one who had to change in order to enjoy the rest of my vacation!

The BEST part of the whole cruise is meeting all the wonderful new friends, as always. We're so grateful to have spent time with everyone.

I'm still working on Part II Excursions...back later...

Interesting....there is another review for this same cruise, who raves how good the same cabin attendant, Rolando, was. I guess some people just don't hit it off with some staff. I'm sure I had him a year ago and he did a great job...(I may be wrong on the name though)

Great review...we are looking forward to being on Century again, later this month.

Another thing that was really strange was the rudeness of passengers on this ship. I didn't mention it before because it wasn't ship/cruiseline specific. I saw so many unbelievably rude people! People cutting in lines in the buffet line, reaching over you to get things, grabbing food WITHOUT using the tongs (that one killed me) and passengers talking to staff like they were dogs. After the first two days of that, I decided to let it go and not watch anymore. It wasn't going to change, so I was the one who had to change in order to enjoy the rest of my vacation!

I've noticed this also, we did a bunch of cruising just post 9/11 and manners were excellent, people were considerate of each other and of the staff. But as that memory fades for some of these people, or "these" people go back to cruising, it seems like we as a group have gone back to being "rude americans" once again.

I just can't abide passengers who are rude to the staff, and I've really never seen rudeness succeed where a polite request would have been refused.

oh MAN am I looking forward to my next cruise, even linejumpers, loudmouths, and thongs in the dining room.

Garrick

We have been on the Millenium recently and I found the most rude people tended to congregate in the buffet. Rude to each other and the staff it was horrible. Every time we went in there we witnessed another person being disrespectful or mean to another. The solution was just to stay out of there or do a quick in quick out.

I just can't abide passengers who are rude to the staff,

This is how insecure, hateful, nasty, little people get to be "boss"...they were never smart enough to rise to that position in their work places, so they buy a cruise ticket and abuse the staff, who are not allowed to defend themselves. It's all about a (phoney) rush of power these sad weasels live for...:( .

I have intervened on two occasions...these splineless jerks really don't like a third party getting involved...they do however, back down...you see, I AM NOT DEFENSELESS!!

This is how insecure, hateful, nasty, little people get to be "boss"...they were never smart enough to rise to that position in their work places, so they buy a cruise ticket and abuse the staff, who are not allowed to defend themselves. It's all about a (phoney) rush of power these sad weasels live for...:( .

I have intervened on two occasions...these splineless jerks really don't like a third party getting involved...they do however, back down...you see, I AM NOT DEFENSELESS!!

Your post reminds me of something that my mother told me when I was young and single. She said that successful men usually make the best husbands because they feel good about what they have accomplished in life and don't need to put their wives down in order to feel important. At the time, I thought she was being a snob but I now think she was right.

Interesting....there is another review for this same cruise, who raves how good the same cabin attendant, Rolando, was. I guess some people just don't hit it off with some staff. I'm sure I had him a year ago and he did a great job...(I may be wrong on the name though)

Great review...we are looking forward to being on Century again, later this month.

Yes, the other review is Jeff's (we consider him a good friend). We do have different opinions about Rolando which is way ok with me. All I am saying is I have had better, cleaner, friendlier, and more thorough cabin stewards. I am really glad Jeff was happy with his service cause I happen to love him. :D ;) :D

HI Laura,

I thought he was great. Anything I asked for I got. There were 4 of in the cabin. He got us more towels and another life vest. I asked for them and sure enough, he had already done it before i asked. I asked for coffee at 7:30 am, it was there every morning. The juice I asked to have delivered everyday was done at the time I asked for......Humm..Maybe I had him doing too much and it took time away from the others :rolleyes: . Oh well....It is all perception I guess. I though Rolondo was great, you didn't. I hate Jamaica, you like it:D . At least we can agree on one thing, I can't wait to go on another cruise with you and John!!

Luv ya

Jeff

Hi thanks for the review.

We and our friends leave Saturday for the same cruise on the same ship in cabins that are no more than 2 or 3 doors away. Not happy that Roland was such a disappointment, but we will deal with it, after all the worst cabin attendant is still better than being at home, LOL. Now you said you tipped him nicely, in advance? or at the end? and did Jeff handle the tips the same way? This might dictate how we handle this situation.

The women are a little nervous the this area of the ship will have a lot of vibration and a lot of rocking and rolling with the seas. Did you find that?

Also the cabins have hair dryers correct and was there any room in fridge to add some wine and champagne from home?

Worst part of your review is the dirty windows! What a shame. Every other ship we have ever been on washed the windows at least once a day. I remember the first time that happened it scared my wife half to death, LOL.

Did you take the Tulim Ruins excursion? We have it booked through the ship because it is a long day and we do not want to be left behind.

Any information you provide will be a great help, thanks again.

Ted1717

:) We were on Century in November and the people who work on the ship were great. Our cabin attendant, Janice, was probably the weakest one that we ever had on our 4 cruises, and she was good! That gives you an idea of what the others were like in comparison. Sounds like you got a lemon.:( Might I suggest that it may have been a mistake to tip or to tip the full amount that you might give? After all, a tip means To Insure Performance, does it not?

We have been fortunate, too, in that I do not recall many rude passengers. But in any case, as far as I am concerned, everyone who works on these ships works long hours. It costs passengers absolutely nothing to be polite and courteous at all times when dealing with them. Why not try to brighten someone's day? Please and thank you are such little words, but we hope that they help show our appreciation to the staff for making our cruise that much better.:)

We have pre-tipped once (on the Mercury last April) and tipped him again at the end of the cruise. We felt we insulted this particular cabin attendant - he seemed embarrassed by it. We did receive excellent service, but something just didn't "feel" right to us. So we chose not to this time. You are right - it was still better than being at home! Jeff will have to answer what his story was. ;)

Our cabin only vibrated when pulling in and out of port. I kinda liked it because I knew when to get excited about "being there" and when I should be running upstairs for sailaway. I also sleep like the dead so I wasn't bothered by it. ONLY in the dining room was it annoying to me. As far as rockin' and rollin' - we had a really bad night, but most nights were fine. If your wife is concerned take Bonine with you, or the much cheaper and generic Meclazine. If you forget, you can also get it for free at Guest Relations. I took one on the rough day and the next day - it works! I do get motion sickness so I'm here to tell you it's better to be safe than sorry. You have to take it BEFORE the nausea or it won't work.

Hairdryer? Yes - there's one on the wall in the bathroom. Just adequate which works fine on women with good hair. My hair is AWEFUL, thick, and frizzy in humidity. So, if your wife's hair is hard to handle, have her bring her favorite blow dryer or she won't be happy! :) ;) :)

You may ask your cabin steward to remove everything from your fridge so you can put your personal items in it.

We did not take the Tulim Ruins tour. Still haven't finished Part II with our excursions review...coming soon!

Going on the March 9th Century same as Host Andy (I love his great attitude). Like Andy we live in South Florida so we know rude people so the buffet line doesn't scare us at all. This will be our 3rd on Century out of about 12 total. Noboby but nobody screws up my cruise because I won't let them. I'm usually too busy watching somebody complaining about how small their cabin is,or how har the bed is, or you know. I am sorry about the bad steward you got and hope to see installment II before I sail. Host Andy I'll see you at the party!!!

We can only be responsible for how we individually treat people.

Ugly Americanism and yes fill in the blanks with almost any nationality is out there. The "It's all about me" mentality seems to be the norm.

My recent experience was awesome with respect to any and every crew member I interacted with. We greeted each other daily as if we were friends. Cabin Steward to fitness trainer!!

And yes I saw a great deal of "feeding trough" mentality going on in the buffet lines. Unfortunate.

Thanks for the nice review. We were on Century at Thanksgiving also. And we are on Century next Thanksgiving AFTER refurb.:)

Hi Ed !

Please let me know what date(s) you plan to be on Century. We are looking at Century or Connie's 7 night sailing Thanksgiving week. It would be great if we will be on the same sailing again !!!

Try to email me if you can.

Going on the March 9th Century same as Host Andy (I love his great attitude). Like Andy we live in South Florida so we know rude people so the buffet line doesn't scare us at all. This will be our 3rd on Century out of about 12 total. Noboby but nobody screws up my cruise because I won't let them. I'm usually too busy watching somebody complaining about how small their cabin is,or how har the bed is, or you know. I am sorry about the bad steward you got and hope to see installment II before I sail. Host Andy I'll see you at the party!!!

Hi Dave !

Thanks for very the nice comments. I appreciate it. Nice to see you are on the 3/9 sailing. I look forward to meeting you.

I have to make one quick comment about rudeness. I must say that this is the second thread that is spending a lot of time about rudeness of people in Florida. While I surely know what you are talking about, I can honestly say that my many sailings out of South Florida have been wonderful experiences, and I witnessed very little overall rudeness. While I am sure there are plenty of bad apples everywhere, I am not sure that it is any worse in Florida. Funny thing.... my worst passenger rudeness sailing ? It was out of San Juan LOL.

Do I now assume every sailing out of San Juan has rude people ? Of course not. I simply assume it is the luck of the draw, as rude people exist EVERYWHERE.

Bottom Line ? I always try to be nice to everyone, treat them very well, never make them feel as they are beneath me (as they are not beneath me).... and I always hope for the best. I am not about to let any of that nonsense ruin my Cruise vacation. I work MUCH too hard for it, so I am going to have a great time, no matter what :).

Just my .02 cents on this matter.

I never associated my experience w/ Florida.

But, now that you mention it we did depart from there. I really don't think one had anything to do with the other. The rude people we encountered weren't even from Florida. I have nothing against Florida.

K

Hi Ed !

Please let me know what date(s) you plan to be on Century. We are looking at Century or Connie's 7 night sailing Thanksgiving week. It would be great if we will be on the same sailing again !!!

Try to email me if you can.

Host Andy - I hope you decide to go on the Century cruise, I'm also on that one with my daughter and son in law. It will be their first cruise on Century and I'm looking forward to showing them my favorite ship!

Terri

Enjoyed reading Part I of your review. We will be on Danno's cruise later this month.

We haven't sailed Century since 2003. Been on many ships since and still rate our dining room experience on the Century as one of the best we've had so far. Our waiter was Martin in 2003 and he was a joy.

Have sailed out of FLL, Tampa, Miami, LAX, San Diego, Houston, Charleston and San Juan and have seen a few very rude pax on about every sailing but their rudeness was not related to any state or country of origin. I'm trying to learn to ignore them (to keep from embarrassing DH any more than I have already:D ).

Just have to keep telling myself I run into as many rude people at my local supermarket on a weekly basis.:)

Dianne

Part II is now posted!

Archived