Is it really worth it to have a balcony???

MikeNKim

Next January will be my first time staying in a cabin with a balcony. As someone who travels solo . . . and that dreaded single supplement . . . just made the upgrade a tad too expensive. But . . . my twenty-eight year-old son will be going with me on my next cruise and having somewhere to go while the other gets ready for dinner sort of justified getting a balcony. I can't wait!!!!!! :p

Many people get an inside room across the hall from their room for the kids.....less expensive and you get the balcony. I'm surprised it was over $600 difference.....we only travel with 3 people....but $600 does seem like alot.

Oh well....you can't cry over spilled milk. It's just money...you can always make more....:rolleyes:

I'll never forget the first balcony my wife and I had. It was four years ago on the Pride. Sitting out there as we pulled into St Thomas was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. It was so quiet you could year all the early morning sounds like roosters crowing, the morning traffic, etc. Haven't cruised without a balcony since then and don't plan to change. YES...get a balcony.

I'm assuming the original $800 (now $640) difference was for the four of yous?

That's a no brainer for me that I'd always take a balcony from now on, but agree with the other posters that you really don't know what you're missing when you've never had one.

When I do have one, I find that when I have that "calling to go somewhere" when I'm in my cabin, it's satisfied just by walking through the door to the outside. Opens a whole new world.

Especially when it's 60 feet long!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/349926227/1349940724057720145wIuiIm

Thanks everyone,

Just a bit of history, I cruised on disney last year right after Wilma but we caught the northern edge of TS Gamma....I was so seasick the first night, we had a inside cabin and I was just lying on one of those deck chairs hoping the cruise would be over quickly and I swore if I was ever stupid enough to cruise again I would have a balcony so at least I could be ill in the comfort of my own room......well of course the next day I was perfectly fine and became addicted to cruising....lol.

I am not sure if I am allowed to quote prices here so I won't but it was exactly $640 difference from a inside GTY to a assigned balcony cabin for 4 of us....2 adults 1 17 year old and a 14 year old.

Thank you again for all the input, I am looking forward to my balcony.

Kim

Would never go on a cruise without one.

Went on my only cruise last summer and had a balcony, will never go on a cruise without a balcony. That is just take on it. We are going on Valor this summer and it was my wife and I only about 75 dollars from a room with a window to a room with a balcony.

Once you have a balcony, you can't go back to outside window, or inside.

Plus it makes your cabin that much bigger. Just think, breakfast out there. Or if on a sea day you want to get away from the crowd, you can still sit out side. I book my balcony so it will be in the sun most of the trip.

I have heard that some balconies are more private then others, but I would assume that any balcony is even more private than the funnel deck is. :)

If you are on your balcony and people on other balconies start screaming and running inside, that would probably be a bad sign. :eek:

how private r the balcony's can anyone see from above>?

We have had 5 balcony cabins and all were private except the Princess Grand.

People can look down into your balcony because all the balcony cabins are graduated from top to bottom. We had the aft cabin on Celebrity Constellation and people beside us could look over the small partition into hour balcony. Carnival balconies are very private (except for talking).

Archived