Baby monitors

JackieH

Do baby Monitors work on a ship? We are getting 2 inside staterooms side by side(not connecting). Would the baby monitors work in this situation. We have 3 kids, so we are having one adult in each room. Im just wondering if we should bring our baby monitors?

I'm one who firmly believes in leaving as much "stuff" home as possible. Since there will be one adult in each cabin, you don't need the baby monitors. If your kids are very young, they should never be left alone in the cabin at any time.

First of all, I asked if they will work. I dont need somebody to tell me what I should and shouldnt do.

My kids will be 12, 6 and 2 and that time. I dont plan on leaving them alone in the room. Ok, thats a lie. If my 12 yr old is still getting dressed, I have no problem with the other 4 of us to go in the cabin next door. Call me a bad mother, if this is not acceptable.

I just asked a simple question.

I agree with Kathy. If there are no plans on leaving children alone, why would you need a baby monitor?

Just seems an odd question. I would not leave a 12 year old alone in a cabin for any reason, much less 2 and 6. None of those ages are old enough to be left alone in a ship cabin at sea, or in port.

As safe as ships can be, there are plenty of foreign nationals and others that have keys to cabins. I would not for a moment leave one of my daughters alone in a cabin - thus no need for a monitor.

I know this sounds like flaming, and I am a single mom who enjoys a few minutes alone as much as the next person, but a cruise ship is not the place to do it. Perhaps the children should be left with family . . ..

I can't think of any good reason for leaving any child alone in a cabin. Changing, if privacy is needed, could be done in a bathroom.

AGAIN... for the 2nd TIME.... Im not asking for parenting advice. IM ASKING if they will work.

CALL ME A BAD MOTHER, but IF IM IN THE room NEXT DOOR with the MONITORs on, I will LET my 12 yr old get dressed. I WILL NOT LEAVE MY 6 and 2 yr old alone. I would not leave my 12 yr old alone and go somewhere else on the ship. These are just what ifs.

AGAIN,PLEASE KEEP YOUR PARENTING ADVICE TO YOURSELFS. IF I NEED PARENTING ADVICE I WILL GO TO A PARENTING BOARD.

ITS SO EASY FOR STRANGERS TO JUDGE OTHER PEOPLE. I WOULD NEVER LEAVE MY KIDS WITH FAMILY TO GO ON VACATION, WHERE WE GO THEY GO.

AGAIN I SIMPLY ASKED IF MONITORS WORK. A SIMPLE YES OR NO WOULD BE FINE.

Protesting awfully strongly and awfully defensive if you don't feel you are doing anything wrong. I suggest you give Carnival a call (or whatever ship line) - they could probably tell you quickly whether the monitors will work. I would not presume to tell you what to do with your children - just mentioned I would never under any circumstances do the same with mine.

She never said she was "leaving them alone" in the cabin .... she said she may go next door with the 6 & 2 yr old while the 12 yr old changes with a baby monitor in the room....she will have the other with her. At 12 I think you can be next door to your kid with a monitor and be assured she will be alright....it is not like she is going to dinner and leaving a 2 yr old alone.....she did not ask about whether it was OK to leave them in a room alone for the whole cruise....she asked if the monitors would WORK. And no I don't think she was protesting to much it would annoy me too to be accused as a bad, irresponsible mother by someone who doesn't even know me.

and yes people were using them on our last cruise....2 way radios seem to get fuzzy and hard to use but monitors in the next room should work fine.

AGAIN... for the 2nd TIME.... Im not asking for parenting advice. IM ASKING if they will work.

CALL ME A BAD MOTHER, but IF IM IN THE room NEXT DOOR with the MONITORs on, I will LET my 12 yr old get dressed. I WILL NOT LEAVE MY 6 and 2 yr old alone. I would not leave my 12 yr old alone and go somewhere else on the ship. These are just what ifs.

AGAIN,PLEASE KEEP YOUR PARENTING ADVICE TO YOURSELFS. IF I NEED PARENTING ADVICE I WILL GO TO A PARENTING BOARD.

ITS SO EASY FOR STRANGERS TO JUDGE OTHER PEOPLE. I WOULD NEVER LEAVE MY KIDS WITH FAMILY TO GO ON VACATION, WHERE WE GO THEY GO.

OK, Chill a little - take a deep breath and calm down. No one here would intentionally cause you to be so upset over a simple question. By immediately becoming defensive, you set the tone for this thread.

The Question posted by Happy KS was perfectly legitimate, and a quick response from you, answering the question could have averted all of the unpleasantness here.

No one is calling you a bad mom for heaven's sake. Shouting to get your point across is really not necessary at all.

The answer would probably be Yes - If they work room to room in your home, they probably will work cabin to cabin on board a ship. But, only someone who has tried this will be able to give you a positive answer.

Good Luck, and Hopefully, some kind soul who knows the answer, and is not afraid of being attacked will be able to supply you with a definitive answer. here.

(tomc dons steel helmet, raises head slightly above trench, checks for enemy fire.)

Yes, they will work just fine. Especially if you put them on the same wall in each cabin.

(tomc ducks back down, hunches, closes eyes, covers ears, waits for incoming.)

"it would annoy me too to be accused as a bad, irresponsible mother by someone who doesn't even know me."

I don't know anyone on this board who did anything close to the above. No one called her bad or irresponsible.

Wherever did you come up with that? She actually called herself that - or denied being that, while shouting.

No one came close to calling her that - those words came from her and her only. If you re-read the posts, you will see that no one called her a bad mother, or irresponsible.

I did say it is not a decision I would make (to leave a child alone in the cabin to the point where I needed to bring a baby monitor on board), and cited safety concerns. To say that is calling someone irresponsible or a bad mother is a huge leap - and is only one that the OP made.

She set her own tone, by yelling in CAPS and attacking anyone that disagreed that perhaps there might be some safety issues involved. I still wonder why you would need a baby monitor for something that might take 2-3 minutes, but if she is being ultra cautious, that's great.

A little odd, that's all. No reply posted accused the OP of anything.

I

Just seems an odd question. I would not leave a 12 year old alone in a cabin for any reason, much less 2 and 6. None of those ages are old enough to be left alone in a ship cabin at sea, or in port.

I know this sounds like flaming, and I am a single mom who enjoys a few minutes alone as much as the next person, but a cruise ship is not the place to do it. Perhaps the children should be left with family . . ..

I can't think of any good reason for leaving any child alone in a cabin. Changing, if privacy is needed, could be done in a bathroom.

I believe these quotes were referring to being a better parent because you would never think to do such a thing. Suggesting if she can't be more attentive she should leave her children home with family .... or for something that will only take 2 - 3 minutes why take a monitor...privacy would be in the bathroom.

This is a message board, where everyone exhanges opinions. I stand by the through that it probably isn't a good idea, safety wise, to leave a child alone in a cabin, monitor or no monitor, for any length of time.

Again - that doesn't in any way shape or form mean I am saying she is a bad mother.

There is an awful lot of defensiveness going on for someone that is showing concern about the safety of children.

I would never make a judgment on someone being a good or bad parent. However, I do think a concerned comment about safety shouldn't be attacked as someone flaming someone's parenting skills.

Very good parents, with the best of intentions, sometimes make choices that they may regret because something bad can happen.

I think what both Kathy and I were trying to say was that it just isn't safe - neither one of us meant to insult anyone. She also said kids shouldn't be left in the cabin alone at any time.

I would rather err on the side of safety for children than worry about bruised feelings or someone taking something the wrong way.

I think sometimes people don't realize, even on a really nice ship, that you have thousands of people on board who don't always have good things in mind. It wasn't that long ago that a 3 year old was accosted on one of the other ships (not carnival) and tragedy was just barely averted.

People are people, good and bad. I would rather send a spark - just a nudge, saying . . . please be careful . . . than not say anything and think something bad might happen.

This wasn't a case of worrying about someone being a bad parent - it's a case of - be careful, this might not be an okay thing to do.

If it's kids - I'll err for safety every time, even if it gets taken the wrong way. Hopefully, it won't. But even if it does, perhaps it will make someone think about it carefully and if just one bad thing is averted, it is so worth it.

But you didn't even ask what the monitors would be used for .... maybe they just wanted them for communication when they were in opposite rooms ....her and her husband. You just assumed it was to leave her children alone in a room. I thought you sounded sarcastic and condesending like she wouldn't have the common sense not to leave a 2 & 6 yr old alone in the room.... then said you wouldn't leave your 12 yr old alone for any reason and in your next post you said why would you need a monitor for something that would only take 2 or 3 minutes. It sounded like you were double backing on yourself.

I'd worry more about packing your Midol than a baby monitor. Sounds like you need to pop a couple in your mouth right now.

Geez woman, cool down! WHAT is your problem?

I'd worry more about packing your Midol than a baby monitor. Sounds like you need to pop a couple in your mouth right now.

Geez woman, cool down! WHAT is your problem?

Her problem is feeling attacked as a parent just like I would have felt.

Right On Hootsie -

The OP was every bit as offensive with her CAPS response as any of the other posts are accused of being.

Caps are just plain Rude!!

OP is way too sensitive for these boards, that is for sure.

Any parent should be able to see that the responses were given out of pure concern - no other agenda is apparent.

Now, this has turned into an attack of other posters.

Strange how this happens, as the OP has taken leave of the entire situation.

Archived