Baby monitors

JackieH

I don't mean this as a flame, so please don't take it that way, but the OP wasn't seeking advice. She was asking a technical question. She simply wanted to know if the baby monitors worked between rooms.

Speaking of flaming, exactly how do you see the very first responses from the OP - If not flames, perhaps temper tantrums, accusatory statements, or just plain rudeness??

She should not have posed this question on a public forum if she did not expect more than a one word response. Very few ever just say "Yes" or "No" and that is all the OP wanted.

I see no reason to defend a person who yells, rants, and is rude to one and all. She has an answer to everything, so I am amazed that she had a question to post in the first place. Her statements that this panel immediately judged her, and tried to give her "parental advice" are so far out, it would be laughable, if not such a pitiful remark to have made.

If you don't want advice of any kind, don't post on this board - because surely, we all are here to respond. It should be remembered, that most of us never post with the idea that what we say will be so badly misinterpreted that it would cause such an unwarranted response from an OP.

FYI - OP is posting on another board now (http://www.disboards.com) on the Community board about this thread and how mean everyone was to her. And she does mention Cruise Critic. I posted a defense of Cruise Critic.

Good ! Maybe she picked up some pointers regarding manners, and

only say nice things over there!

Maybe some of them will come over and read the real truth!!

I sneaked over and read her post - she started it off with details!! But, I believe she didn't mention CC, so I will give her that one (Maybe I should go check again). She is getting a lot of sympathy, and even some adivce!! Yikes!!

(I see the next post says she is bashing CC - Too bad)

I am beginning to think she has some serious "issues." I would hope before anyone bashes Cruise Critics or anyone here they would actually read the thread. She has blown this so completely out of proportion it's really kind of strange. Surely, with a cruise coming up, she has more to do than spend all her time reacting to a perceived slight. You would think she would be excited and looking forward to her trip.

The thing is someone over there just jumped on me after I said that I had read this thread. I cant believe that anyone would take someones side without actually reading the thread in question. Oh well.......

The thing is someone over there just jumped on me after I said that I had read this thread. I cant believe that anyone would take someones side without actually reading the thread in question. Oh well.......

Why let facts get in the way of a good cruise critic bash?

Sorry you got jumped on over there.

If I were registered, I would have left my .02 also.

Maybe you should Quote her response in which she yelled at everyone. Maybe that would get their attention. Or then again, maybe it would cause them to sympathize with her more.

We will have connecting rooms with grandbaby and her parents. We are bringing a monitor so that if baby is sleeping and we want to be on the balcony of the connecting room, we won't have to worry about hearing her over the swishing of the boat hitting the waves, the warm Caribbean breeze, ahhhhhhhhh:D

The door connecting the rooms will be open, of course - but she doesn't wake up yelling and crying. She wakes up cooing and playing and I don't think we'd hear her if we were outside.

Lecach, Thanks! :) You defended our honor and were honest about the CC board. I left a message there as well (under mic-cu). Talk about the pot calling the kettle black-I've never seen bashing of other boards on CC. Let's all forget about the OP and talk about our favorite sport.....Cruising!:D

Wow! The OP asked a simple question and in only four posts it became personal. Seems to me all three people involved in the first four posts (after the first post asking the question) could have worded their posts a little better.

OP asked a question. All it required was a simple answer. In reading the first reply I felt it was very close to being offensive (and clearly did not address the question at all). The OP took the reply personally and it escalated. Then the next person defended the first reply, which never addressed the very simple question that was being asked. And then OP got really upset.

This whole mess, and the resulting 50+ posts here and on other boards could have been avoided if the original replies had addressed the question rather than offer advise which was neither requested or wanted. The OP could also have toned it down a bit. While the first two replies could easily be read as offensive (that is how I took them, and they were not directed at me) the OP could also have realize that it was more likely a case of bad wording (something I have been guilty of several times myself) rather than a personal attack.

After OP's third post on this thread (post # 5) this thread became more about who was worse rather than a reply to the question, do baby monitors work (I don't know - I never used one).

First of all, I asked if they will work. I dont need somebody to tell me what I should and shouldnt do.

My kids will be 12, 6 and 2 and that time. I dont plan on leaving them alone in the room. Ok, thats a lie. If my 12 yr old is still getting dressed, I have no problem with the other 4 of us to go in the cabin next door. Call me a bad mother, if this is not acceptable.

I just asked a simple question.

So sorry, I thought I was giving helpful advice and didn't think of it as telling someone what they should do. You cannot always read "tone" in a post, so you really jumped to conclusions about me. This is exactly why threads go south, people assuming others are "attacking" them, I don't do that. It's merely a message board, not personal.

There have been many posts on this board from people even thinking they could leave their baby alone and go out for the evening, using baby monitors. There have also been reports of young women being sexually attacked on cruise ships, so, no, I'd never leave my young daughter alone, not even for changing clothes.

Yes, they will work. I guess that's all you need to know.

This is exactly what I was saying also. I actually got the impression from OP's second post reacting to the first answer that she was laughing at the situation. I always wonder when I hear something like "call me a bad mother if you want . . ." To be honest, makes me wonder a bit. It's hard to understand tones on a board. The first responder and I, I think, both kind of felt the tone was such that there was reason to worry a child, or children, might be left alone in a cabin while a baby monitor was being used. We weren't trying to offend, but trying to say this wasn't safe. Her reactions, when she went kind of off the deep end only made me more concerned. I think some others felt the same way. No one said she was a bad mother. If you read cruise bruise, there was a 12 year old girl who was attacked on a ship - I don't know if it is true - and the situation was a little different, but I think to err on the side of caution is a good thing. There was also a sexual attack (more than one) which took place purportedly when a crew member used a key to enter the room. Again, could be untrue - I have no idea if it really happened. By I stand by the fact that I would never under any circumstances leave a child alone in a cabin for any length of time. The first responder and I have been chided over and over again simply for saying this. We didn't attack the OP - just said we would never do that with our own children and that it wasn't safe. It isn't. I think it's hard on a board because a simple statement can be taken harsh or not harsh depending on the reader. I think people read her posts - and immediately jumped to the conclusion that she was being attacked. No one meant to do that. Her tone honestly seemed a little flippant (and I may have read that wrong too) in her first response - "I don't need anyone telling me what to do . . ." and in the second response - well everyone read that one. Even when we tried to explain the reasons for our concern, i.e., safety of children, we were chided for even remotely being concerned. The truth sometimes people and children do get hurt, a lot of it is covered up, settlements made without publicity, on cruise ships or off, and parents rack their brains wishing they had handled things differently - good parents. Neither the original answering poster or I meant to hurt anyone's feelings - I think we reacted to the way and manner in which she posted - and antennae went up causing concern. Whether that concern was justified or not, both of us felt that way. Her reactions only made me feel that way even more. I have worked as a volunteer at a battered woman's shelter. I have seen what can happen when children are left alone. I guess I reacted a little to the "call me a bad mother, but . . ." I have heard that phrase before and it's not always been in a good situation. All of us are guilty of reacting to phrases, written tone, based on our own experiences in life. I admit - when I read the posts - I worried. Maybe that's unfair and maybe I shouldn't have, but I did. I never meant to offend - just meant to say - be careful, don't do that. I guess my feeling would have been, had I read the post, and realized I was taken wrong and people were worrying - I would have jumped in and explained, oops - no - what I meant is this . . . rather than attacking us for being concerned. The extreme over-reaction and diatribe - screaming in print - is what other people reacted to as well. Going to another board and dissing people for saying they were never use a baby monitor to leave a child alone in a room and misquoting and mis-stating what really went on on this board is not right. I think there was a feeling of needing to be vindicated but it was to such a degree that it actually concerned me even more than I was originally. I do understand that there are good uses for a baby monitor (i.e., connecting room like someone mentioned with a baby sleeping, etc. - those are great uses). I raised three children (all girls) and know what it is to need to let a baby sleep. In those circumstances it's great. I know I'm going to get flamed again, but I still wouldn't use it to leave a child alone in a non-connecting room. I'm so sorry this thread degenerated like it did. The original answerer and I (and I think I can speak for her because I do think she was trying to be kind) only wanted to say it might not be safe. If my tone was wrong, I'm sorry. It's hard when you work with families in a state of flux, where bad things have happened. Almost every time I have heard something like "call me a bad mother," it hasn't been connected with something good and I guess I might have reacted to that a little.

Do baby Monitors work on a ship? We are getting 2 inside staterooms side by side(not connecting). Would the baby monitors work in this situation. We have 3 kids, so we are having one adult in each room. Im just wondering if we should bring our baby monitors?

This is actually kind of funny, since I never re-visited this post until this morning. I suppose I was making assumptions a bit, too. Since the OP stated they were already having an adult in each room, I guess I assumed the baby monitors were being used while they (the adults) were away.

My response was initially in the interest of lighter packing and (my erroneous assumption, I suppose) they intended leave the children to go elswhere on the ship, hence the need for the monitors. My thinking was, if an adult was staying in each of the cabins, why in the world would they need a monitor at all? Unless they left the children unattended? Some people really do not know how large these cruise ships are.

I truly am sorry to have had a part in a downhill thread and I do apologize to the OP, no judgement was ever intended on my part. Some of my posts turn into novels, I was either in a hurry, or just tried to be brief, looking backwards a little too brief. Truce, okay?:)

This post got out of hand, and Im half to blame. I will not take sole responsbility for it(because I do not Always assume the worst whenpeople post things, expecially strangers who I know nothing about). For those who read on the DIS board, I did not bash this board. I said I had never had any problems up until now. If you reread that post, it was "others" who made strong comments about other issues of this board.

I just dont think its right to judge others with out knowing the whole story. I have a feeling if I asked if 2 way radios/or walkie talkies worked, I wouldnt have anybody tell me its unsafe to leave kids alone. I guess when people see the words baby monitors red lights go off

It really doesnt matter either way, you are all strangers to me, and doesnt matter in the big scheme of things.

I will not make any further comments on this post.

This post got out of hand, and Im half to blame. I will not take sole responsibility for it(because I do not Always assume the worst when-people post things, especially strangers who I know nothing about).

I just dont think its right to judge others with out knowing the whole story.

It really doesn't matter either way, you are all strangers to me, and doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.

I will not make any further comments on this post.

Too little - too late.

I have no idea of your age, but as time goes on, and you mature, it is hoped that you realize that every single thing which happens in your life, good or bad does matter and can make a difference in someone else's life.

As with the situation on this thread, people who posted, do matter. They cared enough to enter into a difficult situation, and try to express concern. To state that they are all strangers, and that they don't matter in the big scheme of things, is a very callous statement.

Every single thing uttered, implied, or written, has an impact upon someone in your life, and in the big scheme of things, is very important and does matter very much.

I realize that you did not want, or ask for advice, so this thought is not submitted as such, only as something to ponder and reflect upon.

I realize that you did not want, or ask for advice, so this thought is not submitted as such, only as something to ponder and reflect upon.

I thought this was very well put. We do impact one another. No one was trying to be cruel, they just put concern out there. Nothing wrong with that. If someone misunderstood then explain and move on. People think that comments made under a cloak of anonymity on an internet chat board are somehow less important, have a smaller impact or can be dismissed out of hand. I don't hold that to be a truth. No one should comment on another without thinking or with intention to harm, likewise dismissing something out of hand because it was posted instead of spoken directly is not a good idea either. It's a double edged sword isn't it?

Archived