Baby monitors

JackieH

But you didn't even ask what the monitors would be used for .... maybe they just wanted them for communication when they were in opposite rooms ....her and her husband. You just assumed it was to leave her children alone in a room. I thought you sounded sarcastic and condesending like she wouldn't have the common sense not to leave a 2 & 6 yr old alone in the room.... then said you wouldn't leave your 12 yr old alone for any reason and in your next post you said why would you need a monitor for something that would only take 2 or 3 minutes. It sounded like you were double backing on yourself.

Thats right, nobody asked me what they were to go be used for. You all ASSUMED that its becasue I was going to leave my kids alone. Leaving my 12 yr old to get changed was just one quick example of something it "Could" be used for. Actually(and honestly I dont feel I need to explain myself to all you know it alls..)It was for the purpose of my 2 yr old. See we will have one adult in each room with the kids. I have 3 kids, the youngest will be 2 at the time, and she naps. I can pretty much bet, she will be in the room I am in. That way if she is napping, the rest of them can go in the next room(Not pound on the door to wake her up)and listen on the monitor. The same thing for mornings. If she happens to sleep in, the next room will be able to hear that and not pound on the door or ring the phone.

When I asked my initial question, it was just a simple yes they work fine on ships, or no they dont work well. I did not need to be judged because people assumed I was leaving my kids alone.

People use 2 way radios for dift purposes, so I dont see how baby monitors are dift. I could take our 2 way radios, but they make a "buzzing" noise to contact the next person. This way with the monitors on, the next room will no if the baby is sleeping with out the knock on the door or the phone ringing.

I would NEVER judge somebody else for what they do or dont do.

I only was asking for a yes or no answer and I got a parenting lesson.

We never go on vacation with out my kids. My kids have never been in daycare, and we dont use babysitters at home. So Im ALWAYS aware of where my kids are.

Yes the monitors work but only if you are about 3 doors or less away on either side. It also works across the hall.. I have used it many times. It didnt work on the Carribean Princess it was too far away, about 7 doors and we were seperated by a hall. Good Luck

Thank you for answering my question. Thank you to the other people who answered my question with out giving me a parenting lecture. I appreciate you answer.

She never said she was "leaving them alone" in the cabin .... she said she may go next door with the 6 & 2 yr old while the 12 yr old changes with a baby monitor in the room....she will have the other with her. At 12 I think you can be next door to your kid with a monitor and be assured she will be alright....it is not like she is going to dinner and leaving a 2 yr old alone.....she did not ask about whether it was OK to leave them in a room alone for the whole cruise....she asked if the monitors would WORK. And no I don't think she was protesting to much it would annoy me too to be accused as a bad, irresponsible mother by someone who doesn't even know me.

and yes people were using them on our last cruise....2 way radios seem to get fuzzy and hard to use but monitors in the next room should work fine.

Thank you for answering my question. Im glad Im the only one who thinks a 12 yr old cant be alone for 2 or 3 minutes with the rest of the family right next door.

(tomc dons steel helmet, raises head slightly above trench, checks for enemy fire.)

Yes, they will work just fine. Especially if you put them on the same wall in each cabin.

(tomc ducks back down, hunches, closes eyes, covers ears, waits for incoming.)

Thank you for your honest answer. I will remember to use it against the same walls. It does make sense.

"it would annoy me too to be accused as a bad, irresponsible mother by someone who doesn't even know me."

I don't know anyone on this board who did anything close to the above. No one called her bad or irresponsible.

Wherever did you come up with that? She actually called herself that - or denied being that, while shouting.

No one came close to calling her that - those words came from her and her only. If you re-read the posts, you will see that no one called her a bad mother, or irresponsible.

I did say it is not a decision I would make (to leave a child alone in the cabin to the point where I needed to bring a baby monitor on board), and cited safety concerns. To say that is calling someone irresponsible or a bad mother is a huge leap - and is only one that the OP made.

She set her own tone, by yelling in CAPS and attacking anyone that disagreed that perhaps there might be some safety issues involved. I still wonder why you would need a baby monitor for something that might take 2-3 minutes, but if she is being ultra cautious, that's great.

A little odd, that's all. No reply posted accused the OP of anything.

Again I will say, I asked a simple yes or no question. I dont appreciate being given parenting advice like I did not know anybetter.

We got connecting cabins, cracked the door and listened when they were in there alone. It worked for us. I would not put a baby monitor in a cabin because those things don't work well in my house, let alone out of it. I often hear JJ across the house before I hear him on the monitor.

Oh and being next door while a 12 year old has some privacy and changes clothes is not the end of the world. If he is taking too long, check on him. That said, we insist on adjoining cabins, just is a lot better in the kid department.

I'd worry more about packing your Midol than a baby monitor. Sounds like you need to pop a couple in your mouth right now.

Geez woman, cool down! WHAT is your problem?

If people could of given a yes or no answer, not parenting advice there would be no problem. Again, if I want parenting advice I will go to a parenting board.

If people could of given a yes or no answer, not parenting advice there would be no problem. Again, if I want parenting advice I will go to a parenting board.

You can't dictate what sort of response you will get on these boards. Good grief, if you wanted a specific answer, why didn't you just make out a form for one and all to check either "Yes" or "No".

You can't write the script - This is a board which is open to one and all to voice their opinions in whatever way they feel to make a point.

Absolutely no one is trying to give you "Parenting advice". You are really hung up on this idea - your words - no one else's.

Of course people express themselves differently. This is what makes the world go round.

Next post, just make sure that all understand exactly what sort of answer you want - compose the answers, and indicate where we are to check the boxes!!

Sorry to have offended!

If I were the OP, I would have been offended as well. She asked a straightforward question and got lots of advice from people who hadn't used a monitor aboard ship and didn't even bother to find out why she wanted to use one.

JackieH....your explanation makes perfect sense now that you've given one, not that you needed to. (please don't flame me:( ) Seems like everyone should shake hands and make-up or someone has to wear a "doesn't play well with others" t-shirt. Can't we just all get along?:o

It is very easy to use the phones in the room to call the other room. Rather than running back and forth in the hall.

Its not that I can not use the phones, its that I dont want the phones ringing. My 2 yr old is a HORRIBLE sleeper, and when she is asleep, we try to keep her that way. So with the monitors, there would be no need to ring the phones if they knew she is sleeping.

Good Luck traveling with so many little people!

I remember when our 4 kids were small. We ALWAYS took them with us everywhere, people thought we were crazy. Only this last fall did we ever sneak away for the first time by ourselves. It was fun but we missed them.

As far as a 12 year old being by themselves, I say if they are responsible and you are right next door go for it! I think the baby monitor idea is great. You could keep an ear on whether he/she left the cabin or anyone entered and they would have the fun of watching tv or whatever while you had quiet time with the baby.

Be sure to take advantage of the kids club on whatever ship you are traveling on. My kids also never went to daycare but from what I've witnessed of the preteen program and the kids group (from a friends daughter) they just love it!! And don't feel guilty!! Your kids will not miss you and don't you dare worry about them while you and the hubby are having "couple time" or treating yourself to a massage.:)

On my recent Costa cruise we had Dh and I in one cabin and then a cabin down the hall with 4 teen girls in it and another cabin upstairs with 3 teen boys and my 21 year old son. They were great and very responsible! Everyone stayed in touch in person and voice mail on the phone. I wish they had been closer but it all worked out in the end. Have fun!

One last thing if you catch people sneaking little peeks or watching you it could be because they miss their own kids or they are impressed with how you are handling the kids and can't resist watching!

If I were the OP, I would have been offended as well. She asked a straightforward question and got lots of advice from people who hadn't used a monitor aboard ship and didn't even bother to find out why she wanted to use one.

From the responses which this OP has given, if someone had asked her "Why She wanted to use One" - they would have gotten a reply something like "It is None Of Your Business".

I agree fully with surfklutz.

You all ASSUMED that its becasue I was going to leave my kids alone.

Actually, no one (let alone everyone) assumed any such thing. ONE PERSON suggested that very young kids shouldn’t be left alone in a cabin at any time, and YOU were the one who flew off the handle. Had you given the whole story to begin with, perhaps people would have been less likely to suggest that young children shouldn’t be left alone.

And as some others have pointed out, if you wanted a simple yes or no answer, perhaps you should have posted a poll. These are called discussion boards for a reason-people tend to discuss things.

We never go on vacation with out my kids. My kids have never been in daycare, and we dont use babysitters at home. So Im ALWAYS aware of where my kids are.

That's too bad, ya know. Parents need time away from their kids to recharge, and children need to learn that Mommy and Daddy won't always be around as well as learn some independance and social skills. While it's wonderful that you are always aware of where they are, that doesn't mean you need to be their slaves for the next 18 years.

Your original post left a LOT of unanswered questions. it wasn't until much later on, after you got through yelling and throwing a conniption fit that you articulated exactly why you were asking about them. there was NO mention of an issue with the youngest child napping and needing to be aware when she awoke without barging in on her room every 15 minutes. had you just explained from the get go what your concerns were, I am pretty sure the rest of us would not have made the assumptions we did.

Your intended use sounds extremely reasonable, but you never actually stated that at the beginning. How can we be expected to give you sincere advice without knowing the facts?

Your intended use sounds extremely reasonable, but you never actually stated that at the beginning. How can we be expected to give you sincere advice without knowing the facts?

I don't mean this as a flame, so please don't take it that way, but the OP wasn't seeking advice. She was asking a technical question. She simply wanted to know if the baby monitors worked between rooms.

Archived