Travel Insurance inc Covid-19

machotspur

Currently I have four cruises at various stages of the cancellation process – 2 with Silversea.

In all cases I’ve requested a cash refund, rather than re-book or take a bonus inclusive FCC.

The primary reason is that at the moment I feel happier holding my own cash, rather than it being in the care of a cruise company.

There is however one other key issue of concern for me – travel insurance. In the UK it is no longer possible to purchase a travel insurance policy that includes any cover for Covid-19/Coronavirus related claims. This applies to single trip policies, or renewed annual policies.

The implication of this is that one can find oneself booked on a future cruise, or holding a FCC with an expiry date next year, but is unable to obtain travel insurance for what may still be a significant risk.

Now of course nobody knows how this is all going to play out, and at what point if any the insurers will again include Covid-19 in their policies.

I’ve made the decision not to book anything non domestic, on land or sea, until I know what is going on with the UK insurance market, with regard to this cover.

There is little or no comment on this issue on various boards – am I alone in being concerned ?  I recognise this is UK-centric but maybe the issue applies elsewhere ?

• Like 1

In Australia we have an additional concern. Travel insurance will not cover us for Covid-19 nor will it cover us for travel agents who go bankrupt. Never has, not seemed so much of a problem until now. 

• Like 1

Many people have placed a great deal of time, money and expectation on their future cruise bookings and it is understandable that they would wish to be optimistic for the future. That must be balanced with the realisation that the world of cruising has changed. 

There's a lot of confirmation bias going on on CC right now. Looking for anything that would indicate the resumption of cruising but the comments are often just the expression of hope and unfounded optimism. Things like 'the power of medical science', 'strict hygiene controls' etc. Those that feel optimistic may well carry on booking, not cancelling current arrangements and so forth - and good luck to them. 

I am becoming increasingly of the view that heading into a dark tunnel not knowing where the end is isn't a wise move when it's so easy to avoid. But that's not what people want to hear. I know I'll be attacked for saying so but until there is resolution of the Covid-19 pandemic, we will not find a normal return to cruising. Or travel insurance. One can't cruise on wishful thinking. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Many people have placed a great deal of time, money and expectation on their future cruise bookings and it is understandable that they would wish to be optimistic for the future. That must be balanced with the realisation that the world of cruising has changed. 

There's a lot of confirmation bias going on on CC right now. Looking for anything that would indicate the resumption of cruising but the comments are often just the expression of hope and unfounded optimism. Things like 'the power of medical science', 'strict hygiene controls' etc. Those that feel optimistic may well carry on booking, not cancelling current arrangements and so forth - and good luck to them. 

I am becoming increasingly of the view that heading into a dark tunnel not knowing where the end is isn't a wise move when it's so easy to avoid. But that's not what people want to hear. I know I'll be attacked for saying so but until there is resolution of the Covid-19 pandemic, we will not find a normal return to cruising. Or travel insurance. One can't cruise on wishful thinking. 

You may be completely correct and nobody should attack you for expressing your opinion.  I prefer to think that we will get passed this, that medical science will provide some treatments / vaccine and that our cruise and travel will resume at levels somewhere near what we expect.  That of course is just my humble opinion.  How long it takes is another matter entirely.

Having said all of that, I am not booking any future travel until things are more clear, but will not canceled our future cruise until it is either canceled by SS or just before I must make final payment, depending on how things look in September 

Well, Mr Banjo (or may I call you Crusin?) I think your attitude demonstrates a practical view of the situation which I share. 

We have cancelled 2 cruises for 2020 but are sitting on a booking, fully paid, for March 2021.  It was very cheap (by normal SS standards) and we can cancel up to sometime late November. So I accept the gamble that should I cancel then, the company will still be able to refund me. If it really goes South alarmingly quickly then I shall write off the cash unless my credit card will refund. 

So I retain some hope but little optimism. 

7 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Share your wise views as this is the first occasion since 1998 we have no Silversea cruise booked and will not be changing this position in the near future.I am not convinced the present Silversea policy of delaying refunds for up to 90 days can be funded when there is very little income from future bookings.Hope positive developments can enable us to return to normal but I suspect we have years rather than months to go to reach that point. Hope I am wrong!