If we cancel, can our deposit be applied to a different cruise?

IPB4IGO

We have cruise scheduled in October. We have paid a $798 deposit, but we are still over a month away from the final payment date.

If I cancel that cruise, then rebook it (or another cruise) later, before the deposit is refunded, can that $798 be applied to the deposit on the new cruise?

I suspect we will have lots of time between the time we cancel and the time they actually refund the deposit.☹️

Edited by IPB4IGO
Clarification

Just now, IPB4IGO said:

We have cruise scheduled in October. We have paid a $798 deposit, but we are still over a month away from the final payment date.

If I cancel that cruise, then rebook it (or another cruise) later, before the deposit is refunded, can that $798 be applied to the deposit on the new cruise?

Yes it can.  I’ve done it a few times.

12 minutes ago, john2003 said:

Crazy for Cats have you done this in todays situation?  I don't think you can because of the delay but maybe there is a way I am not aware of. 

In today’s situation I haven’t since I now want cash back.  My PCC keeps asking me to move payment to a cruise that hasn’t been cancelled.  I think they will do whatever it takes to hold onto money.

If you call your travel agent or HAL and change ships/sailings on the same call the monies will auto flow over to the new reservation # when you make the change (provided the original deposit was refundable).  If you outright cancel and then call back at a later date to rebook you most likely will not be able to have the monies applied to the new booking, as a refund request will be auto-triggered by the cancellation and once that happens they cannot reverse that process (even if the refund has yet to be processed/issued to your CC).

Best advice - choose a new sailing and call to make a change of ship/date rather than just flat out cancelling.  Even if the new ship/date is actually just a "placeholder" until more itineraries are released you can always change it again once what you want has been released.  Just make sure that you are always kept on a refundable deposit fare!

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

5 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

If you call your travel agent or HAL and change ships/sailings on the same call the monies will auto flow over to the new reservation # when you make the change (provided the original deposit was refundable).  If you outright cancel and then call back at a later date to rebook you most likely will not be able to have the monies applied to the new booking, as a refund request will be auto-triggered by the cancellation and once that happens they cannot reverse that process (even if the refund has yet to be processed/issued to your CC).

Best advice - choose a new sailing and call to make a change of ship/date rather than just flat out cancelling.  Even if the new ship/date is actually just a "placeholder" until more itineraries are released you can always change it again once what you want has been released.  Just make sure that you are always kept on a refundable deposit fare!

Thank you for the clear and complete answer. You touched on all the issues that I was wondering about.