A cruise (service) secret....

Danno

I agree with all the sentiments above. Would just add that we always pack some gifts from "our home town". Since we are in Georgia that might include a Braves baseball hat, a Ga Bulldog t-shirt, and always, always some pralines and my homemade fudge. We have done it on every cruise on 3 different lines. You would not believe the smiles it brings, the thanks we are repeatedly given and the thrill our son has had when boarding the ship after excursions seeing our cabin steward in our shirt or seeing our waiters using the dock phones and eating our treats!!!! I know many frown on tipping mid point but we do that too - everyone likes to know they are doing a good job and are being appreciated. Although no one has ever allowed us to bring something back from port we have seen staff in shops, mostly grocery stores, and insisted on paying for their purchases - usually detergent, tooth paste, simple things. Its a privilege to cruise and we are so grateful to everyone who helps make it special for us. Most cabin stewards worry when we make our beds but I say we do it at home so why on the ship???

I could bring them Toronto Maple Leafs t-shirts...nobody wants them here anymore :D .

(I left two Leaf tickets on the dash of my car...someone broke in and put two more there!!)

Ouch, that hurts. As someone with roots in TO, I root for the Leafs and the local Rangers. It's an upside down world when the Rangers are good and the Leafs bad.

MamaQuack, I had not thought about taking some Braves or Coca-Cola stuff with me on the cruise. That is a good tip. Also, I am in Louisiana about every other week, so I could buy some of those wonderful pralines that are in the New Orleans French Market (yes, they are making them again). Your ideas are much more personal. I like that. :)

Leafs aren't as bad as the Atlanta Hawks:(

You're not from here, are you.

OT...the Leafs have one of the most loyal fan bases in pro sports, there is virtually no such thing as a ticket available to purchase. Hasn't been for decades...the teams owners make a huge profit...good for them, I have no issues with profit.

A couple of years ago they, the management, blamed the fans for the poor record of the team...because all the seats were always sold, team management stated that there just wasn't enough pressure to produce a winner...as a result the fans, were in fact, the problem.

How is that for handing off blame....

So I won't give our cabin steward Leaf tickets...he/she probably doesn't need the pressure.

Thx Barry - they've all seemed to appreciate getting something "American" and from our home town. Even if they don't wear it or eat it they go back to crews quarters and share. We have had many crew come up to us and say 'thanks for the candy' - people we did not know:D Most of the guys keep up with some kind of sport when they can so they like that stuff. We've also taken Sports Illustrateds, Sporting News too - you'd be amazed how well most speak and read English. Oh, and another thing we try to pack if we have room is a carton of LifeSavers - they are not supposed to have gum but many enjoy having a lifesaver pack tucked away in their pocket while working.

The Leafs have one of the most loyal fan bases in pro sports, there is virtually no such thing as a ticket available to purchase. Hasn't been for decades...the teams owners make a huge profit...good for them, I have no issues with profit.

Maybe we Leafs fans should boycott Molson's beer. (Do they still own the team?)

We appreciate the suggestion about bringing products from home onboard. We're from NJ, but nowhere near Atlantic City--so salt water taffy is out. We love our state, but bringing industrial waste for the stewards and waiters just won't cut it. Any suggestions for Garden State stuff to carry? Maybe some CDs by the Boss (the one with the E St. band, not Steinbrenner), who's from Down the Shore.

2) We tell them - him or her - what our general time of movement is.

WHAT? :eek: oh, I get it, when you get up...phew. I want the crew to get to know me, but...really!

;)

Danno, cute joke about the tix!

We're from NJ, but nowhere near Atlantic City--so salt water taffy is out. We love our state, but bringing industrial waste for the stewards and waiters just won't cut it.
Salt Water Taffy? Is there any difference between that and the toxic waste? :p (apologies in advance, just never a big fan, and it's all over Cape Cod, where I grew up.:D )

Andrew

Never did. You are thinking of those dreaded Habs. :D

We true Leaf fans still haven't gotten over Harold

Harold...now there's a nightmare I didn't have to re-live :eek: . The Leafs are owned by one of the richest entities in Canada, the teachers pension fund...from bad to worse :( .

Danno I know you said on another thread (I think) that you have intervened when you witnessed pax being rude to crew. I often wondered how I would react in that type of situation. Just wondering what you said to the pax to have them back down. While I have been fortunate enough not to have ever experienced this...I don't think I could let it pass without saying something.

;)

Sorry, I did miss it...I've seen many jerks abuse crew and most times, a more senior staff is there and they intervene. The only two times I got involved I just suggested that they leave the crew member alone or I would call security...in both cases the person was impaired and left.

It was probably poor judgement on my side to get involved but it seemed like the right thing at the time...my wife was not impressed.

Thanks for your response. I think your wife should have been impressed. If I was there I would have applauded you (we need a clapping emoticon here).

Just because it worked out doesn't mean it was a good idea...I really don't need to get involved with an angry drunk...I'm supposed to be on vacation!!

Always have brought a little gift (See's candy or chocolate covered espresso beans) and have continually had the most kind and caring steward. My Mom passed away while we were on our last cruise in October ( where I had to disembark in Puerto Vallarta) and one would have wondered if our steward was 'family'....he was so kind and understanding....and as all staff who we had encountered during that difficult time were....such good care was taken of my DH and son on the remainder of the cruise....a little acknowledgement goes a very long way...try to remember each day...the grocery clerk to the hospital housekeeper...we are all just folks who are getting through life and most everyone responds to a kind word, smile or nod.

Archived