A cruise (service) secret....

Danno

From an old cruiser to new cruisers...how to get superior service from your cabin steward...

Danno's rules for better service

a) find your cabin steward at the first opportunity and introduce yourself.

b) tell them your priorities and your daily habits...we get up early so our cabin can be done earlier if that helps. We like a second pitcher of water.

c) ask what you can do to make their day easier.

d) clear out if they want to do your cabin...if we are lounging around, we can do it elsewhere for an hour (or six)

e) if they are doing a good job...TELL THEM!!

f) clean up your daily messes...you are a passenger, NOT A PIG!!!

g) treat these people with respect...they are human beings with feelings, ambitions, and pride. Just like you.

We always make a point of chatting with our cabin attendant the first day - finding out where they are from, how long they have been on the ship (contracts vary), how often they have work for that cruise line - when they are next planning to go home, etc. We don't want to take up too much of their time, but since all the cabins have been made up by the time we board, and better cruise lines like Celebrity do not overload their people, we have felt that these initial conversations are very helpful and interesting.

From an old cruiser to new cruisers...how to get superior service from your cabin steward...

Danno's rules for better service

a) find your cabin steward at the first opportunity and introduce yourself.

b) tell them your priorities and your daily habits...we get up early so our cabin can be done earlier if that helps. We like a second pitcher of water.

c) ask what you can do to make their day easier.

d) clear out if they want to do your cabin...if we are lounging around, we can do it elsewhere for an hour (or six)

e) if they are doing a good job...TELL THEM!!

f) clean up your daily messes...you are a passenger, NOT A PIG!!!

g) treat these people with respect...they are human beings with feelings, ambitions, and pride. Just like you.

DITTO!

Sue

It is sometimes appalling to walk past an open cabin door and see the mess that some passengers leave for the steward to pick up or work around. It is so rude and disrespectful. If the passengers had to work as long and hard as cabin stewards do, they might be a little more thoughtful.

is when I encounter a foul, nasty, ill-mannered person!

The cabin steward, the waiter, the bus boy, the guy you will never speak to who is polishing the brass rail.....all are dedicated, hard working people, all probably supporting a family at home.

A friendly smile, a small acknowledgment of their efforts, a "thank you" will get you nothing but rewards on your cruise....heck, it will make you a better person!!!!!

I have nothing but disgust for the low end of the gene pool that exist to rue it over those that have less.

It's funny - Jeff asked me why our cabin was so clean. It's because I can't stand living in a messy, disorganized space, especially when it's small. It only takes a second to find a place for everything and put everything in it!

I thought I would share an email I just got yesterday. It is a video of a maid in a bathroom scrubbing the heck out of a toilet. You only see the back of her until she finishes going all around the toilet and puts the toothbrush she was using in the holder on the sink. Someone in that hotel room musta really pissed her off! So there you have it! :D

we go a step further. if he/she is doing a great job, usually midway of the cruise, we leave an envelope on the bed with $5-$10 in it. on the outside we scroll a little note of thanks. we do the same with our wait staff.

I'll vere off the Danno path here a little.

1) When we meet the cabin steward we introduce ourselves.

2) We tell them - him or her - what our general time of movement is.

3) I ask them if there is anything I can get them in any port just tell me.

4) We try not to leave the cabin a complete mess. Clean up the room and bathroom stack the used towels. If it is really a mess we leave an extra 5 spot for the cleaning up of that day.

Anything else is just gravey........

f) clean up your daily messes...you are a passenger, NOT A PIG!!!.

Danno, unfortunately some people are pigs even in their own homes, so going on a cruise ship is not going to change them. I do agree with everything you have said.

sassystyxfan, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who cleans my cabin. I hate for our steward to come in and see it messy. Especially on formal nights when 3 people have to get all gussied up.

Danno,

I also had not thought about offering to pick up items in port for the staff---Thanks so much for helping all of us be better people!:D

It takes so little of our time to do that and they have so little time off the ship. It is rare if they will even let you but just the offers means so much to them. I left a bag of Jelly Bellys once and you would have thought it was Chrsitmas. The staff was so excited to get candy.

As was pointed out in the "maid cleaning toilet" post, it pays to be nice to service people, whether they're cleaning a ship cabin, a hotel room, your home, or your office. The cleaning staff may have less money than you, but they're just as valuable to the human race as you are.

Good idea offering to pick up stuff for the staff. In Colon, Panama, we made the offer to our Horizon butler, who was from Panama. Because he was "home", he didn't need our help, since he was allowed to get off the ship. He also suggested that we shop in the supermarket just outside the free port, which was fun, safe, and a good idea. On HAL, our offer was also turned down, but out steward told us a lot about his home in the Philippines.

On our frist cruise (Sapphire Princess) we were so impressed with our wait staff that we bought special gifts for them on the last night. I found out from other staff what each likes to drink. After checking on the rules for staff having liquor in thier rooms, I bought each a bottle of their favorite booze and per ship rules, I taped the receipt to each bottle.

One of our traveling companions has MS. His diet was low fat, no meat, no dairy. It was a challenge for them to accomodate him. They went so far above the call of duty. One night the Asst. Maitre d' was not happy with what the kitchen cooked for our friend. The Asst. Maitre d' was a chef in a previous job. He brought a cart to our table that had a hot plate on it. He got some pasta from the kitchen and cooked up a wonderful garlic sauce at table side. He tossed the pasta with the sauce and served it to our friend. It smelled so good that everyone at our table of eight asked if we could have it too.

I believe in rewarding people who go above and beyound. On that trip we doubled the wait staff's tip and gave them the gift bag with the liquor. Money plus a gift that had a personal touch.

An email was being passed around late last year among members of our church. It was about knowing the names of people you come in contact with. I am terrible with names, but I try (as I see many members of this board do) call people by name that I come in contact with. Cabin stewards, the porter, the assistant waiter... it makes such a difference.

One of the fun things about cruising with Celebrity is the truly international crew. I enjoy interacting with them and learning about all their different cultures. I would never be rude or harsh with any of them and I appreciate all their hard work. I like the tip about offering to pick up something for them while in port...I didn't think of that.

Danno I know you said on another thread (I think) that you have intervened when you witnessed pax being rude to crew. I often wondered how I would react in that type of situation. Just wondering what you said to the pax to have them back down. While I have been fortunate enough not to have ever experienced this...I don't think I could let it pass without saying something.

BTW...I was VERY nice to my waiter on the Homes Lines Doric. We are now married 22 years!;)

Archived