Ultimate White Pass Scenic Railway & Lakes of the Yukon

maranelloboy05

Has anyone done this tour, interested in a schedule if so. Can't seem to find any reviews online for this specific one. Seems like a coach through the lakes and the swap onto the White Pass railway at Caracross. Really hard to compare all the difference versions available.

Googling the exact phrase shows this as an RCI-advertised resell of what is generally known as some variant on "Bennett scenic Journey" - and it's price is a whopping $90 extra on top of, say, Chilkoots version (click 'bus/rail tours' then select Bennett from the list) which visits the same places, uses the same train, a smaller bus, the option to choose whether you do train or bus part first, plus has detailed timings given. I think Dyea Dave, another very-well-reviewed local tour provider, will also sell you this for a similar if not identical price to Chilkoot.

Cruise resells have only one advantage - if you are at the right dock! - which is that the trains for those can sometimes end up parked right next to the ship. Even if you were guaranteed to be next to the train - which is unlikely, since Carnival now owns the WP&YR railroad so you can bet that it's their ships which will get the train parked nextdoor - there's a shuttle bus around town for a couple of bucks, and the walk is worst-case just a few minutes on the flat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maranelloboy05 said:

That is perfect, thanks! Is there much risk of missing the boat? I typically do shorter excursions on my own, but a full day one has me a bit nervous not doing it through royal.

Last time we were here we did Chilkoot all-day tour - and we 'rescued' people who were supposed to be doing the train back to town, because a train burst into flames on the track and stopped all traffic (there's only the one set of rails). If you do bus first, train second then you have literally zero additional risk - because everyone including cruise-booked folks are on the exact same train as you!

The only additional risk would be doing bus second, when if you are on an indy tour and the bus breaks down the ship has no incentive to wait for you. But given how good all the locals are at helping each other, that the Chilkoot guy had both a radio and a satellite phone in the bus and the schedule does have some padding, I'd have no worries booking indy in Skagway.

Specific example from the exploding train day - when there was no sign of the train arriving (we had some folks on the bus who were meant to be transferring to the train, so even though me & the missus were on the 'all bus' version there was still a stop at the train station) he started calling around and within 10 minutes had the skinny on what was happening, immediately told all of the Chilkoot folks that he'd take them back by bus. But instead of just hitting the road, he then went around checking with other bus drivers and tour guides to say he had a couple of free seats - as did the other indy bus drivers. So lucky for the cruise folks, who had just been dropped off by their big bus which drove away immediately, seats were found to get them back to town.

So ironically it was the cruise-booked people who were the ones most at risk! Their buses had left half an hour previously, were already on their way back over the border, so even if they had their radios or sat phones out and on while driving to get a call about having to return their passengers would have been sitting around for at least another half hour - probably more by the time the big buses could find a safe spot on the one road to turn around...

That really brought home to me how much mutual-helping-out there is in these low population environments - fair took me back to my childhood in the back-end of nowhere (you know, the kind of place where a drive to the middle of nowhere is a treat because it's very cosmopolitan in comparison by having a post office instead of a blacksmith?), as regardless of how much we'd ***** (edit - huh, apparently we can't refer to female dogs on CC!) about the damn townies driving too slow taking day trips on our single-track roads, we'd still stop and change their tires for them or drive them to the nearest gas station, an hour or so round trip...

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1

We did a shorter tour on the WPYR on our first Alaskan cruise, something like 4.5 hours or so and booked through Carnival, but I don't remember the specific tour name.  Loved it so much that on our second Alaskan cruise we booked the 8 hour tour through Carnival that goes up to Carcoss and visits Bennett Lake along the way.  What a WONDERFUL day!  You must love beautiful scenery and the relaxing sway of train cars, of course.  You will see a vast array of terrain and get gorgeous pics and memories to take with you.  Warning though... iPad addicted kids with short attention spans may be bored on this long journey.   Another warning... they are wooden seats, so make sure your buns can handle it.  We spent a lot of time standing on the platform between the cars though, as it was a great place to get pics. 

Lake Bennett is amazing!  You can only get there by train, and the beauty and silence there are breathtaking.  We did the train up and the bus back.  We booked both trips through Carnival, and if I recall correctly, they brought busses down by the dock to take us to the train and I think we had the option on the way back of getting dropped off in town or down by the ship (either that, or we asked to be dropped off downtown... it's been a few years).  

https://wpyr.com/excursions/product/bennett-scenic-journey/

Lake_Bennett.jpg

Edited by SunsetPoint

I have done the Lake Bennett train several times.   Just excellent in my opinion 🤩.   Endless beauty and sobering history.   I choose an alternative vendor that has better options for me.   

If it’s offered on your cruise ship shore excursions-  then absolutely it can be done independently.  There is only one train.    

I have done all the routes.  Determine your preference.    All are excellent.     

On 6/10/2020 at 1:52 AM, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

Rent a car and do the drive on your own...much less expensive and you can do it at your own pace.

Have done it three times and enjoyed every trip...Emerald Lake, Caribou Crossing, the wildlife museum!

Have you taken the train?    Sorry but they really aren’t comparable.    And the route the op is asking about has NO road access.  

This is an excellent option to consider.    

2 hours ago, maranelloboy05 said:

In a perfect world I'd drive to Carcross and take the train but I dont see any one way rental options. I think the one through Chilkoots being what we end up doing.

The only option, is IF you can find a ride??    I've been offered this myself.  🙂  🙂     As I mentioned,  there are other vendors as well to  perhaps research,   I find Chilkoot the most "commercial.     Certainly a long standing well run operation.  

4 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Have you taken the train?    Sorry but they really aren’t comparable.    And the route the op is asking about has NO road access.  

This is an excellent option to consider.    

You are correct -- they're not comparable and perhaps the routes are different.  While I enjoy taking the train for trips (STL to CHI or KC, for example), I'm not fond of being on someone else's schedule if I don't have to be...or on taking the same route both ways if I want to take a detour.

1 hour ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

You are correct -- they're not comparable and perhaps the routes are different.  While I enjoy taking the train for trips (STL to CHI or KC, for example), I'm not fond of being on someone else's schedule if I don't have to be...or on taking the same route both ways if I want to take a detour.

Actually the Lake Bennett train,  IS one of the best options-  for the route.   Not sure your point,  the South Klondike Highway IS done both directions.   And few "detours",  that are allowed with the rental agreements.    It's a loop Fraser to Carcross that has no common viewing.    Plus the bonus of the add on stop at the end of the Chilkoot trail.        

For those who are of interest -   it's a top tour choice.   Of course is NOT for everyone.    🙂  

So many wonderful choices to consider.