Choosing a room on the Amsterdam

Sher61

For Neptune Suites we prefer the ones directly under Canaletto (starboard side).  For Vista suites, we prefer the ones directly above Explorations Café (port side) closer to the Aft bank of stairs or midship starboard side over the Merabella shop.

11 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I like 7054 Neptune Suite near the back door with easy steps up to the Lido Deck. Good viewing out the back of Alaska and Panama Canal cruises.

We were in 7052 and also liked it.  It was convenient to the Lido, the MDR, the library, the Microsoft room, and the aft pool.  The only disadvantage was its distance to the Neptune Lounge.  OTOH, it used up some calories as I made my way to the cookies and other goodies in the NL.

19 hours ago, Sher61 said:

Thanks Kelker. I've marked the deck plan. Hubby is talking to the TA tomorrow. That gives him something to start with. Are there reasons you like those best?

We try to get as quiet of a location as possible - no adjoining cabin doors, not across or next to service doors into stairwells, closets, etc., and under carpet (Most Neptune’s are under hard surface floor on this ship).  That they’re close to stairwells, elevators, and the Neptune Lounge is a bonus.

3 hours ago, zelker said:

We try to get as quiet of a location as possible - no adjoining cabin doors, not across or next to service doors into stairwells, closets, etc., and under carpet (Most Neptune’s are under hard surface floor on this ship).  That they’re close to stairwells, elevators, and the Neptune Lounge is a bonus.

Hey Zelker, I now get your reasoning. I showed your suggested cabins to hubby, and he is very interested in a "port" side suite because we are doing the north bound New England cruise and he feels that we will enjoy watching the coast on that side of the ship. Per his conversation with the TA today, they chose to hold SA7022 - port side ahead of stairs and elevators and near the lounge. If you needed to pick a port suite, is there any you would suggestion and/or what do you think of 7022? Depending on your reply, I will explain your reasoning for 7027 and 7029 and see if he is willing to travel on starboard for this cruise.

14 hours ago, Sher61 said:

Hey Zelker, I now get your reasoning. I showed your suggested cabins to hubby, and he is very interested in a "port" side suite because we are doing the north bound New England cruise and he feels that we will enjoy watching the coast on that side of the ship. Per his conversation with the TA today, they chose to hold SA7022 - port side ahead of stairs and elevators and near the lounge. If you needed to pick a port suite, is there any you would suggestion and/or what do you think of 7022? Depending on your reply, I will explain your reasoning for 7027 and 7029 and see if he is willing to travel on starboard for this cruise.

Having just been in a Neptune port side on our December SA/Antarctica cruise, I would go with the port side, the land side for your cruise.   We  had actually booked a starboard side balcony for that cruise and were delighted, nonetheless, to have been given an upgrade to a port side Neptune.  I don't remember the number but it was just up the corridor from the Lounge.  I wanted the starboard side for the cruise because we would have had the land on our side (east to west).  But we certainly did not complain about the upgrade!  

20 hours ago, Sher61 said:

7022 is under hard surface Lido deck - there are tables and chairs above you that you will hear when they are being moved about. Also the gray space across from the door is into the kitchen prep area for the Neptune Lounge and definitely gets used many times during the day, from before the NL opens in the morning while they are setting things up until after it closes in the evening and they are putting things away - and in-between.  That translates to noise.  So while that suite doesn't work for us for those two main reasons, it might not be an issue for you.  Only you can decide that.  Also how long is your cruise?  We tend to take longer cruises but if you're on a 7-10 night cruise, it might be less of an issue.  That said, if there's a choice - and you want to stick with port side - are either 7026 or 7028 available?  

55 minutes ago, zelker said:

7022 is under hard surface Lido deck - there are tables and chairs above you that you will hear when they are being moved about. Also the gray space across from the door is into the kitchen prep area for the Neptune Lounge and definitely gets used many times during the day, from before the NL opens in the morning while they are setting things up until after it closes in the evening and they are putting things away - and in-between.  That translates to noise.  So while that suite doesn't work for us for those two main reasons, it might not be an issue for you.  Only you can decide that.  Also how long is your cruise?  We tend to take longer cruises but if you're on a 7-10 night cruise, it might be less of an issue.  That said, if there's a choice - and you want to stick with port side - are either 7026 or 7028 available?  

We are going to call back. Note sure if changing is already an issue or not, but will check tomorrow. Now 7026 and 28 are across from the elevators and under the market. Is that not an issue? or are the elevators and users quiet? Only other options are to go further forward like 7016? or back like 7030? What would you ask for for you? Hope I hear from you before the morning. Hubby is very efficient and likely to call first thing. 🙂

3 hours ago, Sher61 said:

We are going to call back. Note sure if changing is already an issue or not, but will check tomorrow. Now 7026 and 28 are across from the elevators and under the market. Is that not an issue? or are the elevators and users quiet? Only other options are to go further forward like 7016? or back like 7030? What would you ask for for you? Hope I hear from you before the morning. Hubby is very efficient and likely to call first thing. 🙂

Elevators are not exposed to the cabins - you walk around the corner to where they are in their own little hallway and no, they're not noisy.  We stayed in 7027 (opposite 7026) and couldn't hear them at all and are booked in the same location on Volendam (a sister ship) for 45 days in 2021.  No reason to move back to 7030 unless you can't get 7026 or 7028.  

We met people on our 14 night cruise in Alaska two years ago on Amsterdam who were in 7016 and said never again (because of the noise from above).  

Post back and let me know what you wind up booking!  Good luck!

1 minute ago, zelker said:

Elevators are not exposed to the cabins - you walk around the corner to where they are in their own little hallway and no, they're not noisy.  We stayed in 7027 (opposite 7026) and couldn't hear them at all and are booked in the same location on Volendam (a sister ship) for 45 days in 2021.  No reason to move back to 7030 unless you can't get 7026 or 7028.  

We met people on our 14 night cruise in Alaska two years ago on Amsterdam who were in 7016 and said never again (because of the noise from above).  

Perfect! Thanks for the advice. Now to see what we are able to change! I'll update you when it all shakes out.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, Sher61 said:

Isn't land on Starboard side as you go North on the West coast? We did 7029 for 113 days and had no problems. While you don't hear elevators - as you move forward towards the openings, people do sometimes gather there at cabins doors - but Neptune suites are set further back with desk and bathroom towards the hall so you should be ok. Its the Lido or pool areas that become an issue. The crew is up moving chairs around on deck 8 and cleaning so at night if you are under these hard areas, you may get noise. Under the Canaletto has worked best for us. We did 6th level mid ship but towards back this year and unfortunately got stuck downwind from one of the trash vents. Had to smell rotting trash for months until cruise got cancelled part way through (unforseen blessing). Now we look for these vents on similar ships when booking. 

21 hours ago, zelker said:

Hey Zelker, Hubby made the call this morning. We are now officially booked for SA7026. We were able to make the change! Thanks for the pointers!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Isn't land on Starboard side as you go North on the West coast? We did 7029 for 113 days and had no problems. While you don't hear elevators - as you move forward towards the openings, people do sometimes gather there at cabins doors - but Neptune suites are set further back with desk and bathroom towards the hall so you should be ok. Its the Lido or pool areas that become an issue. The crew is up moving chairs around on deck 8 and cleaning so at night if you are under these hard areas, you may get noise. Under the Canaletto has worked best for us. We did 6th level mid ship but towards back this year and unfortunately got stuck downwind from one of the trash vents. Had to smell rotting trash for months until cruise got cancelled part way through (unforseen blessing). Now we look for these vents on similar ships when booking. 

Hey Reova, New England cruise is on the east coast! 😛 Yes, if it was west coast, you would be correct. I mentioned somewhere above that we are doing the north bound New England cruise (from Boston to Montreal).  You have an excellent point, that in the Neptune Suites, there is more distance from the hallway and door to the sleeping area. All in all, I am excited. Never thought hubby would want to splurge. I appreciate all the warnings this group has given me about the potential from noise above. Would have loved to have done under the canaletto. We would have needed to do a southbound cruise but we want to do an extra day or two in Montreal at the end of the cruise.

Yes Sorry. someone mentioned Alaska and I was thinking Amsterdam and the old Alaska trips. We did a HAL Montreal - Boston years ago and was great (on Masdaam). Drove up through NE into Canada, sailed to Boston and drove home. Our own land tour with a cruise in between. Enjoy. The Neptune concierge will spoil you. 

1 hour ago, REOVA said:

Yes Sorry. someone mentioned Alaska and I was thinking Amsterdam and the old Alaska trips. We did a HAL Montreal - Boston years ago and was great (on Masdaam). Drove up through NE into Canada, sailed to Boston and drove home. Our own land tour with a cruise in between. Enjoy. The Neptune concierge will spoil you. 

No worries. All good. Glad to hear you enjoyed your journey. For us, this is our third attempt at the same cruise (first two would have been vista suites). We booked it for last October, got on the boat early, left port at 4:15, and at 9:50 PM, we got a text message "come home now". HA helped us get off the ship the next morning (Not fun, I can go into details of the unique issues), we rented a car and drove from Bar Harbor to home, and then spent the rest of the week at the hospital until my FIL died. A month later, we booked the cruise for this October 2020, and you all know why that is not happening. So today, we are now officially booked for Oct 2021 in neptune Suite 7026. I hope third time is the charm.

• Like 1