All the way around Hana??? Can You Drive Back via the South Coast?

Kaylas Mom

Yes you can - and yes we have (shhhhhhhhh - don't tell the rental car company.) We started looking for the Lindberg graves.....and just kept going. Ran into a few cars, several cows...lots of lava - but it made for an interesting drive. Of course - if you ruin the car you're SOL. Found a lovely, deserted alter with a little, perfect plot of grass - right by the beach....waves crashing........hummmmm.....not sure what it was originallly for - some kind of old temple.....we thought it was cool.

We drove it.... some beautiful shoreline views and wide open expanses. Just be sure you have a full tank of gas, because it's pretty desolate out there. It's a slow drive due to the condition of the road, but it's not difficult.

Have a great time....you will enjoy it!

Yes you can - and yes we have (shhhhhhhhh - don't tell the rental car company.) We started looking for the Lindberg graves.....and just kept going. Ran into a few cars, several cows...lots of lava - but it made for an interesting drive. Of course - if you ruin the car you're SOL. Found a lovely, deserted alter with a little, perfect plot of grass - right by the beach....waves crashing........hummmmm.....not sure what it was originallly for - some kind of old temple.....we thought it was cool.

sls... if you go the "other way" and leave early am are you caught up in the sunrise crowd going to see haleakala? i will be coming from kahului and would really like to beat the crowds to oheo gulch. even if i have to leave way early. im not worried about the road as revealed says unless its a washout that it should be a go. any ideas??? redheddad@sbcglobal.net if ya want. thanks!!

I'm curious to know what type of vehicle those that have done this rented. Is the unpaved portion of the road best navigated with a 4WD, or would a conventional convertible (like a Ford Mustang) be just fine on it? We're trying to decide, and would appreciate all opinions on the topic:) !

We did it in a Ford Mustang but if there had been a lot of rain it might have made a difference. My husband thought it was fine, I on the other hand thought it was a nightmare.:eek::eek: I am a horrible backseat driver. :D Not only is it unpaved it is also one lane in places.

We were in a mustang too - there were a few places we took it a little slow - but didn't really have any problems and loved the experience:

Readheaded: I don't know about coming the other way - but I don't see why it would be a problem - and might be a way to avoid the crowds driving via Hana. There were alot of cars the day we drove to HAna - but we took our time and enjoyed stopping a lots of waterfalls (even swimming in a few) along the way - after the 7 Sacred Pools...beautiful - but not a sacred spot - just great advertising - we kept going and avoided the crowds going back. It will take the whole day - but pack a picinc and make lots of stops and just enjoy the day.

When we went up to the top of Haleakala for the sunrise we left at 3am (we were staying in Wailea) - so the crowds going up shouldn't be a problem.

enjoy!!!! Just make sure you leave time to explore the stops after Hana on the reverse way back

:-)

Sandy

We did it in a jeep and it was great. We just didn't want to go to Hana and then have to backtrack. It was so interesting as the south shore is so dry and not green at all. We drove the whole day but it didn't feel like you were stuck in the car as we got out a lot. I highly, highly recommend doing it - there is something about cruisng with the top down in beautiful weather (we did encounter a few short showers and put the top up for those!).

I can truly say it's worth it. In the past we had always returned the way we had come, but in 2003 we decided to try the circle. The road is one lane in some areas, unpaved in some areas, 90 degree turns with no visibility of what's coming from the other direction, but worth it. There's one corner you come around and suddenly there's Haleakala's south side looming up in front of you. Awesome! Just make sure you leave in plenty of time to complete the drive before dark, and has been said earlier, know what the weather is going to be and has been recently. We did it in a Dodge Stratus and didn't once bottom out.

A drive around the other side of West Maui is also worth it and the road's a bit better.

Thanks everybody. So, would you say it's the same degree of twistiness? I thought it looked straighter, which is why I was thinking of it. I am worried my daughter will spend two days being car sick. (We're going out one day and back the next) Did you see many other cars?

Also, does it take much longer than the main road? We have all day to get back, so I am not that worried.

THANKS AGAIN!

We were in a mustang too - there were a few places we took it a little slow - but didn't really have any problems and loved the experience:

Readheaded: I don't know about coming the other way - but I don't see why it would be a problem - and might be a way to avoid the crowds driving via Hana. There were alot of cars the day we drove to HAna - but we took our time and enjoyed stopping a lots of waterfalls (even swimming in a few) along the way - after the 7 Sacred Pools...beautiful - but not a sacred spot - just great advertising - we kept going and avoided the crowds going back. It will take the whole day - but pack a picinc and make lots of stops and just enjoy the day.

When we went up to the top of Haleakala for the sunrise we left at 3am (we were staying in Wailea) - so the crowds going up shouldn't be a problem.

enjoy!!!! Just make sure you leave time to explore the stops after Hana on the reverse way back

:-)

Sandy

yea we plan on going that way to get to the pools before anyone else. and then drive up thru hana and reverse the route. hopefully this will work for us. by the way revealed says that they changed the name to 7 sacred pools cause who wants to go see something called "oheo gulch"? classic marketing!;)

Thanks everybody. So, would you say it's the same degree of twistiness? I thought it looked straighter, which is why I was thinking of it. I am worried my daughter will spend two days being car sick. (We're going out one day and back the next) Did you see many other cars?

Also, does it take much longer than the main road? We have all day to get back, so I am not that worried.

THANKS AGAIN!

It's not as twisty as the road to Hana. There's only one section with really narrow, sharp turns...right after you run out of paved road. Drive carefully and you should be fine. We saw very few tourist cars, but a few locals.

Archived