Alaska Pursuit Collection?

disneyochem

Good morning, checking to see if anyone has experience with this company.  We have cruised to Alaska many times but this summer (2020) we had a three week land tour booked (a combination DIY and a Princess connoisseur tour) that was cancelled. I’m in the process of rescheduling our land tour for next summer.  We have a ton of FCC so am using these funds for some of our plans.  Hubby is a huge train fan so only wants to travel via train AND wants to go Goldstar.  What I have so far is a 7-day Cruise north from Vancouver to Whittier (Sapphire Princess), 16 days on land and then a southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver.  I have credit (from 2020 cancellation) with the Alaska Cruise Transportation so will be doing the all day tour from Whittier to Anchorage.  I have booked a Princess Blue Denali Rail Tour (using $ from cancelled tour) that goes from Anchorage to Fairbanks (two nights in Denali). Hubby thought is might be fun to travel on the Princess rail cars which seem to be different than the Alaskan rail cars.  Will rent a car in Fairbanks for a couple of days before joining an Alaska Pursuit tour.

I’m working with Alaska Pursuit to book the rest of our visit.  We will be going to Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage, Girdwood, Seward.  Currently we have a stay at Denali Backcountry Lodge as well as a stay on Fox Island (two days) with kayaking and a Kenai Fjords Cruise.  All travel is via the Alaskan Railroad Goldstar as per hubby’s request.  Also added a bear-viewing flight out of Anchorage, a stay at Alyeska Lodge (with a couple of excursions) and ending trip with a stay at the Windsong before boarding our ship.

Has anyone worked with this company or stayed in any of their lodges? Or have taken any of their tours?  The hotels sound great —Denali Backcountry Lodge, Windsong, Kenai Fjords Wilderness Lodge, Talkeetna Alaska Lodge, Alyeska Lodge—as do the included meals.  I am aware that we could save money with different options (especially Goldstar and some of the lodges) but this is a rescheduled 25th Anniversary trip and hubby wants to do it well. They own some of the lodges (Kenai and Backcountry) so if we want those experiences, we need to use this company.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions.  We know we can’t do all we want to do.  Have already decided to do another land tour in 2022 that will include Homer and other areas we won’t get to next summer!

Being you have been to Alaska many times you’ve seen all these properties?  (Outside of Denali lodge? ).    I find the Kenai Princess an inconvenient location without a car.  

Never heard of this company which is just a booking agent?   

I always do overnights with the Fly in bear tours-  100 times superior.  🤩

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

Being you have been to Alaska many times you’ve seen all these properties?  (Outside of Denali lodge? ).    I find the Kenai Princess an inconvenient location without a car.  

Never heard of this company which is just a booking agent?   

I always do overnights with the Fly in bear tours-  100 times superior.  🤩

We’ve cruised the inside passage in Alaska numerous times but this will be our first stay on land (done B2B to Seward orWhittier/Vancouver) a couple of times) for an extended period.

The only Princess property we’ll be using is their Denali Lodge for two nights on our way to Fairbanks.  The Kenai property is on Fox Island—we access it by boat (get dropped off by Kenai Marine Tours).

I’m not sure what this company is—don’t think it’s just a booking agency since they own a number of lodges, restaurants, touring companies.  I was working with Alaska Railroad on booking one of their packages—they use the company so decided just to work directly with them!

Where and who do you use for bear viewing?  Currently, I’m looking at Rusty’s Air to Redoubt Bay.  It’s only a day trip though.

Sorry seemed a Kenai reference I missed.   🤩.    I’ve been to the Fox Lodge,  If I’m understanding correctly you also have an additional Kenai Fjords boat tour booked?      This lodge is ok but the location isn’t far from Seward.    Your kayaking- frankly is a lot better better on the guided trips but if you’re just looking for some paddling this works well here.   

I’ve flown with Rust several times.  🤩.   My only choice out of Anchorage-   Long time vendor.   I’m extremely picky where I go with bear tours and only want peak-  so carefully verify your dates.   Alaska fish and game is a good resource.   But I typically fly out of Soldotna.     The day trips are lacking-  time is necessary with these trips.  Tides are important and it’s a huge advantage to have time to wait out.  I don’t go for less than 2 nights.     

You reference to - both the Princess Denali Lodge and Denali Backcountry Lodge so 4 nights?    

Also-   Gold Star is the Alaska Railroad’s product  not Princess.     What “train “ have you booked???   

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

Sorry seemed a Kenai reference I missed.   🤩.    I’ve been to the Fox Lodge,  If I’m understanding correctly you also have an additional Kenai Fjords boat tour booked?      This lodge is ok but the location isn’t far from Seward.    Your kayaking- frankly is a lot better better on the guided trips but if you’re just looking for some paddling this works well here.   

As part of the tour, we leave Fox Island (after two nights) on a Northwestern Fjords Tour returning to Seward at 5:30.  A guided kayaking tour is also included.

I’ve flown with Rust several times.  🤩.   My only choice out of Anchorage-   Long time vendor.   I’m extremely picky where I go with bear tours and only want peak-  so carefully verify your dates.   Alaska fish and game is a good resource.   But I typically fly out of Soldotna.     The day trips are lacking-  time is necessary with these trips.  Tides are important and it’s a huge advantage to have time to wait out.  I don’t go for less than 2 nights.     
GGood to know about a longer bear flight tour.  I’ll look into maybe moving things around to get an overnight tour.  We will be there in the first week of August.  Good time for bears?

You reference to - both the Princess Denali Lodge and Denali Backcountry Lodge so 4 nights?    
yes, two nights in Denali on our way to Fairbanks and then two nights at the Denali Backcountry Lodge.

Also-   Gold Star is the Alaska Railroad’s product  not Princess.     What “train “ have you booked???   
We have booked a Princess Rail Tour one way to Fairbanks only because I had travel vouchers (from a cancelled land tour) from Princess that I need to use.  We will be in their glass domed cars on that tour—Anchorage to Denali (followed by Alaska Rail to Fairbanks).  After a few days in Fairbanks, we will be traveling on Alaska Rail (Goldstar)—Fairbanks to Denali, Denali to Talkeetna, Talkeetna to Anchorage, Anchorage to Girdwood, Girdwood to Seward.

4 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Ok  still a little confusing.  😉    The Princess trains, are  to/from Whittier?    I've not known them to have a pick up in Anchorage?    The Princess trains are table seating,  so, important to run to your assignment-   otherwise, you have a chance of getting  backward facing seats your entire ride.   🙂  

Where's the guided kayak tour?  

No August is not peak.   And you need to know the exact tour option you are looking at?    You mention Redoubt-  some day trips are by boat?    

Only a suggestion-   but,  I'd hold off with reservations-  and fine tune more.    You mention a car in Fairbanks?  for what?    No interest in the Arctic or north?      There are numerous -  great options,  but for me,  always include flights and north.  🙂       Experiences you don't get anywhere else.          Same for Denali-    especially with a 2 stop trip?   The programs at the Backcountry Lodge are the reason to go there.    Also-  an excellent option is a one way flight,  extremely scenic flying.    Otherwise,  Denali is about being on the move-  if wildlife is a priority.  

6 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Ok  still a little confusing.  😉    The Princess trains, are  to/from Whittier?    I've not known them to have a pick up in Anchorage?    The Princess trains are table seating,  so, important to run to your assignment-   otherwise, you have a chance of getting  backward facing seats your entire ride.   🙂  

Where's the guided kayak tour?  

No August is not peak.   And you need to know the exact tour option you are looking at?    You mention Redoubt-  some day trips are by boat?    

Only a suggestion-   but,  I'd hold off with reservations-  and fine tune more.    You mention a car in Fairbanks?  for what?    No interest in the Arctic or north?      There are numerous -  great options,  but for me,  always include flights and north.  🙂       Experiences you don't get anywhere else.          Same for Denali-    especially with a 2 stop trip?   The programs at the Backcountry Lodge are the reason to go there.    Also-  an excellent option is a one way flight,  extremely scenic flying.    Otherwise,  Denali is about being on the move-  if wildlife is a priority.  

Yes, I misspoke about the Princess train.  We are riding in the Princess cars pulled by the Alaska rail train!  We board at Anchorage.

Lots of interest in going north while in Fairbanks.  We have an Arctic Circle flight reserved. Getting a car because we’re staying at a AirBnB outside of town.

We’re really looking forward to staying at Backcountry Lodge.  Taking the bus out to the lodge and then flying back after our stay.

thanks for your thoughts on the bear viewing.  I need to look more into this.  We might need to schedule bear viewing for summer 2022.  Our dates are not flexible —we’re on a 14 day Alaskan cruise out of LA on July 3.  A college graduation present for our youngest daughter.

We used Alaska Pursuit Collections for our Talkeetna Alaska Lodge, Alyeska and Windsong booking last year. They did a phenomenal job working with DW and getting us all we wanted. Kept us informed of things that changed in a very timely manner.

All Princess cars are pulled by Alaska RR.      How are you getting from Whittier?  

With your dates,   for fly in bear tours,   I suggest a look at,  Bear Mountain Lodge.    This area does not depend on the salmon runs, as there is a big "supply" of razor clams.     Well run option.   

Did you happen to choose,   Northern Alaska's  fly/road combo to Coldfoot for your Arctic?   Certain a top choice.    But,  I have to say-  my favorite,  with this company-   however is their Deadhorse,  3 day trip.   Just spectacular.   Nonstop highlights,   as a LOT of more interesting stuff is past Coldfoot.      

34 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

We used Alaska Pursuit Collections for our Talkeetna Alaska Lodge, Alyeska and Windsong booking last year. They did a phenomenal job working with DW and getting us all we wanted. Kept us informed of things that changed in a very timely manner.

Thank you for the feedback!  They seem great—glad to hear you had a good experience with them.

47 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

All Princess cars are pulled by Alaska RR.      How are you getting from Whittier?  

With your dates,   for fly in bear tours,   I suggest a look at,  Bear Mountain Lodge.    This area does not depend on the salmon runs, as there is a big "supply" of razor clams.     Well run option.   

Did you happen to choose,   Northern Alaska's  fly/road combo to Coldfoot for your Arctic?   Certain a top choice.    But,  I have to say-  my favorite,  with this company-   however is their Deadhorse,  3 day trip.   Just spectacular.   Nonstop highlights,   as a LOT of more interesting stuff is past Coldfoot.      

I’m using the Alaska Cruise Transportation, the “Big Bus”, to go from Whittier to Anchorage.  I had booked them this year; got a credit for use next year so that transportation is already paid for.  We’re doing a full day tour that goes to the wildlife center, Hotel Alyeska, tram ride, lunch and tour of Anchorage.  Certainly not my first choice now that I’ve done more research but, as I said, it’s paid for!

Oh man, you are giving me such great options! Hubby is going to want me to stay off these boards since I keep changing what to do (and the cost! 😁).  

We’re looking at Northern Alaska’s fly/ride combo.  This tour fits in well with our dates. But, hubby just looked at the Deadhorse trip and loves it!

I think I’ve talked my hubby into a focused bear viewing trip for Summer 2022.  I believe you are right—we need to spend multiple days viewing bears and not just a 6 hour tour!  Love what Bear Lodge has as well as Gondwana Ecotours.  We’re doing a bear viewing tour out of Prince Rupert on our earlier cruise.  It just might have to hold us until 2022!

Thank you, thank you for all your time and suggestions!  Much appreciated!

Edited by disneyochem

13 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

I’m using the Alaska Cruise Transportation, the “Big Bus”, to go from Whittier to Anchorage.  I had booked them this year; got a credit for use next year so that transportation is already paid for.  We’re doing a full day tour that goes to the wildlife center, Hotel Alyeska, team ride, lunch and tour of Anchorage.  Certainly not my first choice now that I’ve done more research but, as I said, it’s paid for!

Oh man, you are giving me such great options! Hubby is going to want me to stay off these boards since I keep changing what to do (and the cost! 😁).  

We’re looking at Northern Alaska’s fly/ride combo.  This tour fits in well with our dates. But, hubby just looked at the Deadhorse trip and loves it!

I think I’ve talked my hubby into a focused bear viewing trip for Summer 2022.  I believe you are right—we need to spend multiple days viewing bears and not just a 6 hour tour!  Love what Bear Lodge has as well as Gondwana Ecotours.  We’re doing a bear viewing tour out of Prince Rupert on our earlier cruise.  It just might have to hold us until 2022!

Thank you, thank you for all your time and suggestions!  Much appreciated!

You mention you already had an "Arctic"  booked???   Where/what is it?    There are several,  ho hum areas, that you may want to bypass and book a superior option?    

I've done multiple trips with Northern Alaska tour company,   their tours are perfectly managed.  🙂     You might want to rework your itinerary frankly.     You could cut a day at Denali,   since it's split trip-   do you have specific plans for 4 days?    Or could  3 work just as well with your ideas?    

A great trip,  comes together-  with a lot of revisions in Alaska planning.    The more you find out-  the more you want to include.   🙂    

"so if we want those experiences, we need to use this company."

Just so you know, there's nothing that you book as part of a tour that you can't book as an independent traveler. If you prefer to book with a booking company or as part of a tour, that's fine, but just know it's not your only option. I personally prefer doing the land portion of you trip as DIY versus some tour or 3rd party booking company.

17 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

You mention you already had an "Arctic"  booked???   Where/what is it?    There are several,  ho hum areas, that you may want to bypass and book a superior option?    

I've done multiple trips with Northern Alaska tour company,   their tours are perfectly managed.  🙂     You might want to rework your itinerary frankly.     You could cut a day at Denali,   since it's split trip-   do you have specific plans for 4 days?    Or could  3 work just as well with your ideas?    

A great trip,  comes together-  with a lot of revisions in Alaska planning.    The more you find out-  the more you want to include.   🙂    

Great idea about cutting a day from Denali.  I scheduled two days on the way up because I’m trying to use up travel vouchers (we have a lot of $$$ we need to use!).  

We wanted to do the Fly/Drive combo tour from Northern Alaska Tours—fly to Coldfoot and drive back to Fairbanks.  Based on your comments, I’m going to take a look at taking one of their multiple day tours (if I cut one day from Denali) out of Fairbanks.  Don’t have anything booked yet—have to wait until a year out but our TA has spoken to them.

Again, thanks!  I love the planning and research, hubby does not so this is really fun for me!

8 minutes ago, AKStafford said:

Just so you know, there's nothing that you book as part of a tour that you can't book as an independent traveler. If you prefer to book with a booking company or as part of a tour, that's fine, but just know it's not your only option. I personally prefer doing the land portion of you trip as DIY versus some tour or 3rd party booking company.

Do you know anything about this company?   They strongly appear to just be a booking agent?    I've never heard of them,  (means little 🙂  but, I get email "questions"  all the time,  so have a basis of some operators)     

If they're just an agent,  then their lists,  are based on commission.   🙂     I think it's always good to have a broader range of options,    but,  booking agents-   sell the  "one place" opportunity that is of benefit for many.     

I'm simply too picky with my plans,  with vendors  🙂   

24 minutes ago, AKStafford said:

I do prefer to book on my own but, unless I’m missing something, to stay at the Denali Backcountry Lodge I have to book through the Alaska Pursuit Company since they own the Lodge and buses to access the property.  Same with staying at the Kenai Wilderness Lodge—this company owns and operates the Lodge and boats used to access the Lodge.

I priced out (using spreadsheets) the costs for everything we want to do for a completely DIY trip versus what Alaska Pursuit offers (as well as Alaska Rail travel packages).   Same price—no mark up on the train tickets, rooms were similar in price, tours were the same costs on the independent websites.  In fact, i actually received discounts ranging from 20-30% on some experiences/tours using their company because I booked early.

18 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Do you know anything about this company? 

So back in the day, CIRI owned the Windsong Lodge & Talkeetna Alaska Lodge. And maybe Kenai Fjords Tours? And maybe some other stuff. They sold it all off to... somebody and it got rebranded as "Alaska Collection". And it looks like that is now own by Pursuit. So they do own some of the properties and operate some of the tours. But of course you can still book any of their stuff independently.

I never could figure out why CIRI sold of their tourist operations... I figured it was a perfect fit for them. But, they employee people much smarter than me to figure this stuff out.

1 minute ago, disneyochem said:

I do prefer to book on my own but, unless I’m missing something, to stay at the Denali Backcountry Lodge I have to book through the Alaska Pursuit Company since they own the Lodge and buses to access the property.  Same with staying at the Kenai Wilderness Lodge—this company owns and operates the Lodge and boats used to access the Lodge.

Yes, for the properties and tours they own, you are booking with them. But you don't have to be a part of their tour package to book.