NZ Roads - Better for Sports bikes or Cruisers?

Hello Motorcycle riders of reddit. New Zealand has some amazing roads, even to drive with a car. I'm planning on buying a bike in the next couple months for summer. What I would love to know is people's personal opinions for what kind of bike suits NZ roads. Looking at either a Suzuki Shadow or Rebel 500 or a Yamaha MT-07.

https://snaptube.cam/https://9apps.cam/

I would recommend adventure style bikes. Personally I find cruisers uncomfortable due to sitting upright for long periods. Sports bikes can also be uncomfortable due to racer like riding position.

Last year myself and five friends rented bikes for a 10 day tour the south island. Unfortunately I crashed on the first day, I don't now why as I have no memory of it. It was low speed, <60kph during a massive storm while riding Arthur's Pass. Myself and one of the other guys were on  Yamaha  Super Teneres - which I was enjoying and consider it well suited for purpose. Another was on a Honda Africa twin and he loved it. Another on a triumph and one on a GS BMW of some sort. No complaints from anyone on their choice of bike. The rental bikes were all fitted out with top boxes and panniers which are essential if touring. Sport bikes and cruisers are not so accommodating for luggage carrying.

I have three bikes I usually ride at home. A Honda GL1500, Yamaha FJ1200 and FJ1100. I also spent a lot of years riding off road bikes in Enduros and Moto-X. I was once a riding instructor, so I have experienced many different bikes over the years.

Yes, NZ does have some amazing roads. Whatever you choose ride safe.

Being a rider of both I would suggest something comfortable with an upwards riding position e.g. not a sports bike.  Sports bikes are great for an afternoon blat but not ideal for the roads in reality.  

I am not sure if you live in NZ but if you do I strongly encourage you to enroll in the ride forever courses - I try to do one a year to keep my skills up and they are low cost and with the current cash back on rego pay for themselves....