Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

26 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

There should be just enough here:

IMG_0026.thumb.jpg.1a4904cdd816107c25c20370d754788a.jpg

Looks like Boston, Black Falcon cruise terminal.  The ON is the end of CRUISE PORT BOST__. 

Edited by sfred

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

There should be just enough here:

IMG_0026.thumb.jpg.1a4904cdd816107c25c20370d754788a.jpg

Oh, yes, there's more than enough there. That's the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal (Cruiseport Boston) in Boston, Massachusetts.

Edit: Never mind. I see now @sfred beat me to it with his last post.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, sfred said:

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat @bluemarble to a port identification!  😃   Luckily, I'm 13 hours ahead of US central time, so have a slight geographic advantage.

Very good. I know I get a geographic advantage when those in the UK post their photos late in the evening UK time. That gives me a good head start to work on them while it's still late afternoon/early evening here in the US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfred said:

Singapore?  1.3521° N

Great series of trivia questions @bluemarble !  Much appreciated for your interesting teasers and research.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Sorry, is it too late to change my guess? Please amend it to Manta Ecuador.  0.9677° S

My first thought was Singapore as well. But you're right, Manta does improve on that and QV has called there as recently as March of this year.

The best answer I had come up with before posting my question was the Galapagos Islands. From what I've been reading, Vistafjord was allowed to stop there in 1994 and tender passengers to the various islands. The equator passes through northern IsIa Isabela in the Galapagos, but I don't know specifically where Vistafjord would have anchored off the Galapagos.

The port of São Tomé  in São Tomé and Príncipe would be also be good candidate at 0.3472° N. I can't find evidence that any Cunard ship has ever called there though. Caronia called at Bom Bom Island in São Tomé and Príncipe, but that's about 1.7° N.

• Like 1

As @bluemarble says, QV called at Manta Ecuador in March earlier this year (and also February 2018).  Unfortunately the wife and I had already disembarked QV in Santiago Chile, so I don't have any Manta port photos I can post.  Our QV dining companions from an adjacent table continued on after Chile, and we've stayed in touch after the trip.  They reported back to us that from Manta they took an excursion to the adjacent town of Montecristi, which is the home of the famous "Panama hat", and therefore the answer to the pub trivia question "Which country produces the Panama hat    ---    Ecuador!"

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm looking for a call where passengers are able go ashore,

Have any passengers ever gone ashore at Macapá, Brazil? (0.000)

We stopped for a while, waiting to pick up the pilot. But it wasn't a port call, at least on our cruise.

7 hours ago, sfred said:

As @bluemarble says, QV called at Manta Ecuador in March earlier this year (and also February 2018).  Unfortunately the wife and I had already disembarked QV in Santiago Chile, so I don't have any Manta port photos I can post.  Our QV dining companions from an adjacent table continued on after Chile, and we've stayed in touch after the trip.  They reported back to us that from Manta they took an excursion to the adjacent town of Montecristi, which is the home of the famous "Panama hat", and therefore the answer to the pub trivia question "Which country produces the Panama hat    ---    Ecuador!"

Let me help out with photos from Manta and Montechristi taken on the last QV cruise.

DSC04171.JPG

DSC04034.JPG

DSC04083.JPG

DSC04102.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, carlmm said:

Let me help out with photos from Manta and Montechristi taken on the last QV cruise.

Thanks for those photos. I've added Manta to the list of ports we've seen on this thread. By my count we've now reached 175 different ports that we've identified so far. Well done everyone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Have any passengers ever gone ashore at Macapá, Brazil? (0.000)

We stopped for a while, waiting to pick up the pilot. But it wasn't a port call, at least on our cruise.

That's an intriguing possibility I hadn't considered. The only calls to Macapá in the Cunard itineraries I have are cruise-by calls on QV during her 2017 and 2020 Amazon cruises, but my itineraries don't go back all that far. Macapá is a full port call for other cruise lines, but so far I haven't found mention of any such call by Cunard. Of course that's doesn't mean there haven't ever been any.

2 hours ago, carlmm said:

To help to get to port number 176 one more picture of this one:

SAM_7359.JPG

Oh, I understand now how this port was especially difficult to identify because it's not on any of QE's scheduled itineraries.

I'm going with Falmouth, Jamaica for this one. QE's schedule was changed to call at Falmouth, Jamaica on January 22, 2013. I even contributed to a thread here back in September 2012 discussing that schedule change.

Edited by bluemarble

On 10/24/2020 at 5:13 AM, carlmm said:

SAM_7277.JPG

For the ship spotting points on this one, I think that other ship besides QE is Oasis of the Seas. It's pretty clearly an Oasis-class Royal Caribbean ship and Oasis of the Seas was also in Falmouth, Jamaica on January 22, 2013.

22 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, I understand now how this port was especially difficult to identify because it's not on any of QE's scheduled itineraries.

I'm going with Falmouth, Jamaica for this one. QE's schedule was changed to a call to Falmouth, Jamaica on January 22, 2013. I even contributed to a thread here back in September 2012 discussing that schedule change.

Correct again in every regard.

It looks like I had my fair share of itinerary changes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

For the ship spotting points on this one, I think that other ship besides QE is Oasis of the Seas. It's pretty clearly an Oasis-class Royal Caribbean ship and Oasis of the Seas was also in Falmouth, Jamaica on January 22, 2013.

Of course this is correct, too.

30 minutes ago, carlmm said:

So, how about this one? (Another new port to my knowledge.)

SAM_6766.JPG

I think we may have already seen this port, but from a much different angle seen below.

On 10/21/2020 at 5:30 PM, sogne said:

not sure if we have had this port

poi.JPG

On 10/22/2020 at 11:02 PM, bluemarble said:

Once again it took much longer to identify this port than it should have, especially given that highly distinctive mountain profile in the background.

This is Heraklion, Greece with what my research tells me is Mount Juktas in the distance.

For some reason I was also having a lot of difficulty deciphering the name on that cargo ship. I now see that ship's name is "Haddad 1".  Guess where marinetraffic says her last now position was -- Heraklion, Greece.

The tugboat MENTORAS (ΜΕΝΤΟΡΑΣ) is currently located in Heraklion, Greece. Of course that doesn't mean it couldn't have been in another Greek port at the time of your photo. Other photos I'm finding online of the Heraklion port do match up very closely, even down to the details in the various cranes shown in your photo. So I'm going to say this is Heraklion.

17 hours ago, bluemarble said:

...The port of São Tomé  in São Tomé and Príncipe would be also be good candidate at 0.3472° N. I can't find evidence that any Cunard ship has ever called there though. Caronia called at Bom Bom Island in São Tomé and Príncipe, but that's about 1.7° N.

I did run across one rather oblique reference (for which I have now lost the hyperlink...hate it when that happens) to the Cunard Royal Viking Sun visiting São Tomé and Príncipe in 1994. I could not verify (a) that it was in the port of São Tomé as opposed to elsewhere in that nation, if indeed it occurred at all, and (b) it occurred after Trafalgar house Co (Cunard owner at the time) acquired the line in 1994 or before - which would have made it a non-Cunard ship when it made the stop...if it made the stop. 

That was really useful, wasn't it?

• Haha 1