Silver Galapagos (ship) future

Host Jazzbeau

Does anybody know what Silversea is going to do with the Silver Galapagos ship now that Silver Origin has reached Ecuador?  Silver Galapagos doesn't really fit Silversea's upscale profile even as an expedition ship.

Bit of history:  Silver Galapagos was built in 1990 as R-III in the first [now mostly forgotten] generation of Renaissance cruise ships.  There were eight nearly identical ships [seems to be have been Renaissance's MO], and seven of them are still sailing [R-I is a private yacht; R-II is being used for spare parts, like an old MG; R-III is Silver Galapagos; R-IV is Grand Circle Corinthian; R-V is AdventureSmith Sea Spirit; and R-VI through R-VII are Noble Caledonia Caledonian Sky, Hebridean Sky and Island Sky].

I'm guessing that the likeliest buyer is Noble Caledonia, since they love these ships and identical ships are easier to market.  But has anybody heard anything?

Silver Galapagos current location is in Guayaquil, just off a channel, could be at dry dock for renovations/maintenance.

One year ago today we embarked Silver Galapagos in Baltra for a great 7 day expedition.

The ship was fantastic re the tours via Zodiac and kayak, amenities and dining were very enjoyable, the fauna and flora are why you go.

The new Origin will be spectacular and I hope the Silver Galapagos gets a new life! 

Some internet sleuthing shows that the ship was purchased from Renaissance in 1997 by Enchanted Islands Corp and sailed as Galapagos Explorer II, then sold to Canodros CL in 2009 and continued sailing as Galapagos Explorer II until 2014 when it was renamed Silver Galapagos.  So that would fit with the info @carefreecruise was told – except that Dun & Bradstreet say that Canodros CL is now a subsidiary of Silversea Cruises Ltd.  So it is 'leased' in the usual sense that a separate corporation, which is a subsidiary of the cruise line holding company, owns each cruise ship and leases it back to the parent – to protect the corporate parent from maritime law seizures of assets going beyond any one ship.

I assume the reason Silversea bought Canodros along with the ship was to get the Ecuadorian license to sail in Galapagos.  They will now transfer that license to Silver Origin, leaving Silver Galapagos without a mission.

As they say in the Crystal forum, "time will tell."

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm guessing that the likeliest buyer is Noble Caledonia, since they love these ships and identical ships are easier to market.  But has anybody heard anything?

I think in normal times that would be a shrewd idea.  Noble Caledonia has a niche market and does extremely well somehow without having a public or internet presence.   Their prices are as high as Silversea - they short change everyone on the luxury but offer a fabulous expedition experience if things go without a hitch.