My Fellow Canucks - Canadian $ vs US $ ?

dmk

[quote name='spamwhiches']I have been following this thread with interest. I have booked with a US online TA and paid a US $900.00 deposit for double occupancy inside cabin. Credit card statement converted 900 US $ into Canadian $ of course.
If I understand this thread correctly, the best thing to do to avoid having to make a scene later is use cash for purchases, and get a US currency credit card for the on board account?
.....[/QUOTE]

When on board, I charge everything to my room and then pay with my Canadian dollars credit card. As long as it is understood that you want Celebrity to charge in US funds, there should not be any currency exchange fees other than from your credit card financial institution.

Thanks everyone for the great info. Question about obtaining a US credit card - do you have to be an American citizen to obtain one? I'm usually a NCL cruiser and they have a credit card, but I believe the form states you must be a U.S. citizen. Would it be different getting one from a Canadian bank like CIBC?

Also, watch out for American Express's additional 3% fee to exchange from U.S. to Canadian. I got burned last time.

I also take American money with me and simply pay off my onboard account at the end of the cruise.

[quote name='travelmoxie']Thanks everyone for the great info. Question about obtaining a US credit card - do you have to be an American citizen to obtain one? I'm usually a NCL cruiser and they have a credit card, but I believe the form states you must be a U.S. citizen. Would it be different getting one from a Canadian bank like CIBC?

Also, watch out for American Express's additional 3% fee to exchange from U.S. to Canadian. I got burned last time.

I also take American money with me and simply pay off my onboard account at the end of the cruise.[/quote]

No, you don't have to be a U.S. citizen to apply for the U$ credit card, I got my Master Card from Bank of Montreal.

[quote name='Winterpegger']No, you don't have to be a U.S. citizen to apply for the U$ credit card, I got my Master Card from Bank of Montreal.[/quote]

Mine's from RBC. There is a cost but they award points.

[quote name='travelmoxie']Thanks everyone for the great info. Question about obtaining a US credit card - do you have to be an American citizen to obtain one? I'm usually a NCL cruiser and they have a credit card, but I believe the form states you must be a U.S. citizen. Would it be different getting one from a Canadian bank like CIBC?....[/quote]
U$D credit cards with bonuses linked the the mass market cruiselines - like NCL or MBNA's Celebrity Credit Card, [B]do[/B] require you to be a resident of the U.S.

Canadian Financial institutions have U$D credit cards (where all transactions occur in U$D) available for Canadian residents. No U.S. address required.

[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Just returned from my cruise to Hawaii. I booked another cruise on board and the same thing that hapened to Babylene happened to me. They refused to take a new booking in USD while on board. I will also call Celebrity and have that changed tomorrow. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]While on the cruise I went to the Bank to make sure that they were NOT converting my account to USD. No problem . There was a note on file saying that I wanted my credit card company to make the conversion. It is a god idea to check that out while on your cruise.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Babylene, is there anything in particular I should say to the Captain' Club to change my booking to USD?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

Hi Doreen! Hope you had a wonderful vacation!

When I phoned Captain's Club and told whomever I spoke with, she immediately said that my shipboard information was wrong. The only downside was that I was waiting on the line quite a long time while she made the change! I paid the Visa bill with the Canadian deposit last month. She said it would take up to 3 months for the refund. On this month's bill, there is the new US deposit....and...lo and behold...the refund...so I am a happy camper!

There is another thread regarding the one week, $100 OBCand the longer $200 OBC. Contrary to what others have been told, the girl on the Summit (she was actually very sweet, if unknowledgable!) told me that I could book a 7 day in order to give the smaller deposit, and would still be entitled to the $200 OBC when I changed to a longer cruise. I am happy that I insisted that she put in in writing because other posters have said they were told that couldn't be done.

I wish Celebrity would get its act together!

Your idea of checking with the bank is a good one...because you never know. Also when you get your statement at the end, you know what funds it is in...but maybe if they err, it's then too late! Who knows!

Did you love Happy, Happy? And Mahvellous Sol?

[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Hi Babylene! Thanks for the response.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]I just got of the phone with the Captain's Club and I now have a cruise booked in USD instead of CAD plus my Onboard Credit in tack.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]But wow. It does take some time to straighten things out. The agent ended up cancelling my cruise in CAD and rebooking in USD . This agent was also blown away by the fact that I couldn't book in USD on board. As you said, it takes quite a while on the phone.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]I hope my refund and new deposit will cross my statement at the same time.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Loved the cruise. We arrived in Hawaii a day after the rains. It was even sunny in Hilo. Unfortunately we were not able to rent a car and tour Kauai becuase many of the roads were closed due to mud slides.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Oh my God, Happy Happy and Sol were wonderful. Actually I found this crew/staff to be very genuine in their warmth.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

• 1 month later...

Archived