The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

19 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I am thinking a reenactment of the Napoleonic Wars - maybe battle of Borodino?  Perhaps a Volga cruise?

Hint: the location is the end/beginning of a river cruise AND the beginning of another going further east. 

10 minutes ago, Bake apple said:

Hint: the location is the end/beginning of a river cruise AND the beginning of another going further east. 

Hmmm ... now I am thinking Danube cruise that begins in Hungary going east through Bulgaria & Romania. Hussars there too, I believe. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun

I'm looking at my pictures of the Buda Castle now and I can't find a section with that kind of architecture. Close but something seems off.

The guards that we saw at the Parliament building were on foot and their uniforms were totally different. Plus that building is definitely in a different architectural style.

Edited by jpalbny

3 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Close but something seems off.

Ya think? Castle Hill is a large area & I have seen those guys roaming quite a distance from the museums that comprise Buda Castle. I have no photos to compare but as I recall, the uniforms were very similar (particularly the coats, red trousers & red hats).

Also, that wall looks similar to the wall surrounding the castle grounds. Kinda difficult to navigate Google street view on my mini - have you checked?

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I'm looking at my pictures of the Buda Castle now and I can't find a section with that kind of architecture. Close but something seems off.

The guards that we saw at the Parliament building were on foot and their uniforms were totally different. Plus that building is definitely in a different architectural style.

Well, you are 99% there so I think you should be the next to go. 😁 When we were there it was just after changing the guard and the Hungarian Mounted Royal Guards were heading back to the stables at the Buda Castle in the Castle District. I never tire of visiting  beautiful Budapest. 

• Thanks 1

OK, here you are. For a change of pace, we visited this place during an actual river cruise!

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river.

After that name the town/city/place.
The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

1285888268_CCPic9.thumb.JPG.f7eed3de13020c174fbed0da21245306.JPG

Well, I cannot find a photo of this particular section of ceiling so perhaps I was incorrect in my first assumption. I was initially thinking of a specific old Baroque church in Vienna's Innere Stadt with a spectacular organ on which Haydn performed. We attended Mass here.

I think that is what you call rich in Christian religious symbols and iconography! This would seem to be a Baroque church - but I would not rule out a seat of a bishop for example.

Here is weird thought - or perhaps not so much. There is one item sticking out which fits into the picture but is sort of odd. The big jug to the left reminds me of German earthenware, like a Bembel used for Frankfurt apple wine (cider), although the shape is not quite right. Perhaps the painter's background or a hint to the location? I go for the latter and say this is on the Main river.

notamermaid

Not sure, it certainly shows what/who saves and banishes demons. The archangel burning heretic books I think is also there. Not sure about the jug symbolism. I like how the draped cloak of the man spills over, I mean out of the painting onto the stucco (if it is 3D). The edges of the painting? Cannot decide if the niche with the hint of a scallop in green is real or painted on. Great artwork in any case!

notamermaid

From what I read when we visited, the angel is burning Lutheran bibles and casting out the devil along with it. The art is from the counter-reformation. 

Same artist who painted Melk Abbey.

Not sure about the jug either.

Edited by jpalbny

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Not sure, it certainly shows what/who saves and banishes demons. The archangel burning heretic books I think is also there. Not sure about the jug symbolism. I like how the draped cloak of the man spills over, I mean out of the painting onto the stucco (if it is 3D). The edges of the painting? Cannot decide if the niche with the hint of a scallop in green is real or painted on. 

Okay - I have found it and it is NOT what I had thought. We attended mass at St. Michael’s - not here. I was WAY off in the weeds. Don’t know how I confused this with St. Michaels.

The green scallops are found above little round windows - the painting depicts scenes from the life of the church’s namesake - not the Last Judgement.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info - not the Main river, sounds like you are pointing towards Vienna on the Danube. Counter-Reformation must be the "grand clue". You know I was wondering if that building to the right is not a temple but represents the building the fresco is in. Have seen this done in other churches. From what you are saying, I could be right.

But further than that, I shall leave it to others to look for this splendid edifice. Although I am not a big fan of Baroque and Rococo churches going overboard on the decor I am happy to call this a grand ceiling. :classic_smile: 

notamermaid

Ok, a few more photo hints.

The dome. When we were there in 2016 there was some restoration work going on. You could climb the scaffolding all the way to the dome for some great up-close views of the artwork. It looked like these people were watching us!

550103421_Danube2016_04-243.thumb.jpg.cd2564666881d6b5e978d4acccb6ea26.jpg

Here's an exterior shot from 2013. The lighting is great in the afternoon. 

1533430901_Germany2013_06-138.thumb.jpg.dc75a58c9dae7d817b95c5936fecf7df.jpg

It's an interesting structure for sure.