Typical OBC for Royal Suite?

I'm booking a group via a travel agent and some family members are planning to book the Royal Suite.   I've never booked a suite. The other rooms in the group (balcony, OV and inside) all have $50 OBC each.  (I shopped around for travel agents and even with only $50 OBC my agent had the best price.  We had another offer that had $250 in OBC for balconies, but the base price was higher.) Is there a typical or standard OBC rate or % with the Royal Suite?  The fare is a little over $10,000 for one week on Jewel of the Seas.  The agent told us $400 but that seems kind of low when I read about different OBCs that people get online here.  Is that OBC something I can negotiate or ask for more or would that be bad to suggest?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

I would ask @Ourusualbeach

I book to book, and would book whatever the best price was. A good TA might figure out a better cabin or price. For instance a lift and shift., I would pick the best ta during covid, not the one you knocked down his commission the most. Price might drop next year. A good TA could point out you might lose loyalty pts vs some money and give you more service. 

Not the time to book with someone who might not be the best service. 

Is anyone higher loyalty you can book into the balcony or suite for discount? This kids sail free sale to me stinks. Prices are sky high, but with double loyalty pts might go higher or sell out. I expect prices to fall next year when promotion is over, but you might lose the double loyalty pts. Lots to consider.

Jewel is pretty but I only did the JS on her. 

Edited by firefly333

13 minutes ago, CruisingSwedes said:

I'm booking a group via a travel agent and some family members are planning to book the Royal Suite.   I've never booked a suite. The other rooms in the group (balcony, OV and inside) all have $50 OBC each.  (I shopped around for travel agents and even with only $50 OBC my agent had the best price.  We had another offer that had $250 in OBC for balconies, but the base price was higher.) Is there a typical or standard OBC rate or % with the Royal Suite?  The fare is a little over $10,000 for one week on Jewel of the Seas.  The agent told us $400 but that seems kind of low when I read about different OBCs that people get online here.  Is that OBC something I can negotiate or ask for more or would that be bad to suggest?

There is no standard.

Unless the OBC is issued by the cruise line then it is coming out if the TA’s commission. OnLine agents may  offer More as they have very low costs compared to a TA in a bricks and mortar store that has overhead or a TA that is part of a large corporate group that only gets a portion of the Commission.  

Balance  the amount of OBC you want with the level of service you expect. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CruisingSwedes said:

You dont give  a date but I'm assuming 2021? If so with double loyalty pts, suites are crazy high right now... so if prices drop, and they want the new lower price be aware the obc goes down as the commission is less. 

Almost for sure prices will go down after double pts promotion over.. do they want the double pts and obc more than a price drop.

Be sure your ta can be reached in a timely manner.

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There is no standard.

Unless the OBC is issued by the cruise line then it is coming out if the TA’s commission. OnLine agents may  offer More as they have very low costs compared to a TA in a bricks and mortar store that has overhead or a TA that is part of a large corporate group that only gets a portion of the Commission.  

Balance  the amount of OBC you want with the level of service you expect. 

Thank you!  I think the agent has great service, but it's the first time I'm working with them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You dont give  a date but I'm assuming 2021? If so with double loyalty pts, suites are crazy high right now... so if prices drop, and they want the new lower price be aware the obc goes down as the commission is less. 

Almost for sure prices will go down after double pts promotion over.. do they want the double pts and obc more than a price drop.

Be sure your ta can be reached in a timely manner.

Yes it's 2021.  I'll keep my eye on the prices.  My TA is always very quick to respond.  Thank you!

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Doubtful. 

Royal’s  pricing games are tied to $ off and OBC and once factoring those into the equation the price usually works out the same.  That is on a macro scale across the board.  Individually prices also change on every cruise individually based on supply and demand and people see the price go up on their cruise and they incorrectly assume that it was because of the sale, sometimes and it depends on the sale.

prices have been rising long before the double points was started.  Much of the increases for many ships from now through April I have already theorized is to restrict bookings on ships that won’t be sailing while trying to encourage people to book the less expensive sailings they plan on sailing.

Booking now and getting a price drop later does not mean you have to pick which promo you want as the double points is not a promotion it is a brand program.  You can get a price drop and still get the double points.  

You can def shop TAs to see who offers the highest amount of OBC- we do this all of the time with cruise compete.  Highest OBC we’ve ever received was $1750 for the larger Loft Suite on Oasis Class.  We did book the Royal Suite on Jewel about 4 years ago, but I do not recall the specific $ amount we got on that sailing.