Royal’s excursions with best beach

DrMrsRichardson

42 minutes ago, DrMrsRichardson said:

Given it’s looking like we will have to take a cruise line sponsored excursion, I’m looking for the one with access to the best beach.  Normally I’d go to Mr. Sanchos... how is the beach on the Chankanaab excursion?  Or, any other recommendations (for beach days).

We thoroughly enjoyed our day at Chankanaab (after waiting probably 15 years before trying it!) BUT I imagine it is a totally different experience to Sanchos, (which we still haven’t tried yet!). I think it would depend on the demographics of your group.

The “beach” specifically is a very small  cove, which I am sure you will easily find on Google images and IF Chankanaab is one of the only excursions on Cozumel it would be very crowded. There are also loungers on a man-made beach area above the shoreline, which is predominantly ironshore (rocky) and better for snorkeling.

I think until there are some definite plans to resume cruising it is far too early to speculate what excursions will be available. Cozumel is tied to a certain extent by its taxi union regulations and many ship excursions actually use taxi vans (including Chankanaab).  I am sure when cruising resumes, IF excursions have to be through cruise lines some individual beach clubs will be only too willing to Negotiate contracts with the cruise lines (even if temporarily).

Whilst it is fun to plan, I think the excursions the cruise lines are currently offering are generic listings pre-Covid and some of those businesses may not even exist when cruising resumes. 

Edited by c-leg5

I agree.  I want to create a tentative plan for each port, based on the excursions currently being offered because I have 3 2021 cruises planned and want to purchase them all on Black Friday.  I figure, if I have excursions booked, it puts me in a better position for getting an excursion I want should it be the case that we will have to have cruise line sponsored excursions to get off the ship (assuming they do in fact sail- I’ve had 4 cancelled already so not holding my breath but I’ve been following Royal very closely and if any line is going to sail from the US, I believe it will be Royal).  My suspicion is that for much of 2021, everyone will have to be on some sort of supervised experience to get off the ship.  I am guessing there will be many more “excursions” added as we get closer in order to have enough to offer choice to every booked passenger.  I would not be surprised to see a “tour” of the immediate port area offered, and other such “excursions”... even “Margarita Ville”.  I definitely don’t want to procrastinate and be stuck w/ less than desirable options.  And, if it turns out to not be the case that we need to have an excursion booked, I still may feel safer booking one next year.  Besides, what would I stand to lose?  If the cruise is cancelled (or the port) I get a refund.  If the excursion is cancelled, I’d think I stand a better chance to have good options if I had booked a pricier excursion than if I waited until last minute when options may be limited.  In the past, I had excursions cancelled (because there was not enough demand, or weather, or things like that) and Royal always compensated me well.  The last time I had a $120 pp excursion that was cancelled and they offered hubby and I our pick of pretty much any excursion (even ones that were full), or full refund and $50 OBC (either way).

My advice to everyone who is booked in 2021 is to not wait until they announce we need excursions booked... book them!  You can always cancel.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NKLCRUISES said:

Deluxe Beach Break and Playa Mia Water Park would be a good compromise to Mr Sancho's if being forced to use a ship's excursion.

I agree, if you are looking primarily for activities, Playa Mia could be a good alternative and looks like it is planning to reopen in December.

As I said above, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the bigger clubs negotiate contracts with the cruise lines.  Sanchos, in particular, seems to gave been very pro-active under current conditions developing new business models, promoting their overnight cabanas, candlelight dinners and breakfasts for Cozumel residents and land visitors so I am sure they would like to retain cruise ship visitors when cruising resumes.

Edited by c-leg5

The advantages Chank has over other beaches is that it offers non-beach activities (dolphins, sea lion show, nature trails) plus a separate snorkel area.  The beach there is small compared to Sanchos or Paradise.  As C-Legs pointed out, it is likely that other beach clubs will contract with the cruise lines to create authorized beach excursions, but that is likely to mean they will need to close down to other customers (if there are any) or find a way to keep groups from different ships separated.  We will see. 🤔

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We aren't cruising until Feb, 2022, however I really enjoy planning, so I'm digging in right now 🙂  I have Chankanaab booked.  We are 2 adults, looking for a scenic, quiet beach with an umbrella, free drinks and free food.  We fell in love with Nachi last time, but I like having a back up plan in case that isn't an option.  Do you think Chankanaab will meet our needs?

18 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

We aren't cruising until Feb, 2022, however I really enjoy planning, so I'm digging in right now 🙂  I have Chankanaab booked.  We are 2 adults, looking for a scenic, quiet beach with an umbrella, free drinks and free food.  We fell in love with Nachi last time, but I like having a back up plan in case that isn't an option.  Do you think Chankanaab will meet our needs?

Unless you are on a ship excursion Chank usually does not offer an AI (food/drinks) option, although things may have changed.  That said, you can run a tab, enjoy the beach, snorkel area, small pool, nature trails, sea lions and dolphins, etc.  Used to be an admission fee of about $20 each (look on line for coupons).  It will be more crowded and busy than Nachi, but not packed like some other beach clubs (Sanchos, etc.).  Taxi ride is shorter - used to be about $12 each way.  Good luck! 😎

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 11:16 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

I assume you booked Chankanaab because it was a ship excursion? I am sure the cruise line will appreciate your monetary donation even if only temporarily!

I stand by my post #2, and in your case, WE thoroughly enjoyed our day at Chankanaab (after waiting probably 15 years before trying it!) BUT it is a totally different experience to Nachi.

We would probably not have chosen it as a couple, (deterred by the entrance fee and activities that we knew we wouldn’t participate in), but we were meeting my daughter and grandson on this occasion and they had booked a ship excursion. We travelled independently and paid entrance fee, and food and drink PAYG. They got an included lunch and possibly a couple of drinks but at least for them it was NOT fully AI and they were limited as to which food venues they could use.

My husband mainly stayed at the man-made beach while I walked around with my daughter and grandson and was pleasantly surprised. We have been to many beach bars/clubs on Cozumel and have enjoyed many for all sorts of different reasons. I admit we are generally looking for budget friendly on ship days and are more inclined to do AI clubs when we are staying in a condo during a land vacation. We have enjoyed Nachi but fail to see the hype it commands on this board.

If you are looking for a quieter, more pampered experience at Chankanaab you might check out the Cabana Beach location.

Again, if and when, cruising resumes I think you will find many more beach clubs on Cozumel entering into agreements with the cruiselines in order to survive. It is too early IMHO to know which clubs will be open by 2022 and what the requirements will be but I understand your need to plan and dream. 

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I assume you booked Chankanaab because it was a ship excursion? I am sure the cruise line will appreciate your monetary donation even if only temporarily!

I stand by my post #2, and in your case, WE thoroughly enjoyed our day at Chankanaab (after waiting probably 15 years before trying it!) BUT it is a totally different experience to Nachi.

Yes- I only picked it because it seemed to be the best available ship excursion- in case we couldn’t do one on our own.  If we could book our own place, we would be Nachi 100% 🙂

47 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Yes- I only picked it because it seemed to be the best available ship excursion- in case we couldn’t do one on our own.  If we could book our own place, we would be Nachi 100% 🙂

It’s fun to plan, but lots of time for changes in the next 12 months.

Good luck with whatever your day may bring and just know there were lots of good options beyond Nachi.

We have given up on planning cruises for now (too many unknowns and restrictions) but I can’t wait to get back to Cozumel for a multi week land visit.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

It’s fun to plan, but lots of time for changes in the next 12 months.

Good luck with whatever your day may bring and just know there were lots of good options beyond Nachi.

We have given up on planning cruises for now (too many unknowns and restrictions) but I can’t wait to get back to Cozumel for a multi week land visit.

Planning the trip is half the fun for me...  I had to promise the DH I’d be ok with cancelling, if he didn’t feel comfortable traveling  closer to the date...  even if we cancel, at least I can have a bit of planny fun now 🙂

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Like 1