When does the "clock start" for pre-existing conditions on a Priority Wait List booking?

I have a Priority Wait List (PWL) booking on Oceania Cruise Line for 2022.  To gain "priority" on the Wait List, I made a deposit.  I was made to understand that the reservation is considered an unconfirmed booking.  And as such, even though a deposit was provided, the actual "deposit date" for the trip insurance "clock start" of a waiver of pre-existing conditions is not until the booking is confirmed.  Is that correct?

2 hours ago, tigerfan75 said:

I have a Priority Wait List (PWL) booking on Oceania Cruise Line for 2022.  To gain "priority" on the Wait List, I made a deposit.  I was made to understand that the reservation is considered an unconfirmed booking.  And as such, even though a deposit was provided, the actual "deposit date" for the trip insurance "clock start" of a waiver of pre-existing conditions is not until the booking is confirmed.  Is that correct?

Hi tigerfan75,

You are mostly correct because some companies don't do it as you described.

Most of the companies I know define the Initial Trip Deposit Date as the first date that the travel dates are confirmed for a brand new booking.

I cover the Initial Trip Deposit Date in great detail on this page:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/initial-trip-deposit-date/

What has changed as a result of the Covid mess is this:

If you are buying a new policy (ie – not changing the dates on a current policy) and making any of your first payment with a travel credit from a previously cancelled trip, some companies will not consider that date your Initial Trip Deposit Date. They define your Initial Trip Deposit Date as the date you first paid money on the trip that created the travel credit.

If you are booking a trip with money and / or a combination of money and a travel credit from a previously cancelled trip, your Initial Trip Deposit Date is when you first pay for your trip with the money and / or a combination of money and a travel credit for all our other plans.

I hope this makes sense,

Steve Dasseos

Steve,

THANKS for the response.  When (if) this PWL booking clears, I will contact you to purchase the correct Trip Insurance that will recognize the Trip Deposit Date as the first date that the travel dates are confirmed.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

6 hours ago, tigerfan75 said:

Steve,

THANKS for the response.  When (if) this PWL booking clears, I will contact you to purchase the correct Trip Insurance that will recognize the Trip Deposit Date as the first date that the travel dates are confirmed.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Hi tigerfan75,

You're welcome.

You may email me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com

Steve

usually time to purchase is up in 14 days after initial deposit- By the way, we were told the offer to just pay $24.99 processing fee (actual first deposit not due for 3 mos) was NOT considered a deposit- this is not the case, anytime you put any amount of money down to hold/make a cruise reservation, it is considered down payment and the clock starts ticking from that date! 

6 hours ago, lindajoyce23 said:

usually time to purchase is up in 14 days after initial deposit- By the way, we were told the offer to just pay $24.99 processing fee (actual first deposit not due for 3 mos) was NOT considered a deposit- this is not the case, anytime you put any amount of money down to hold/make a cruise reservation, it is considered down payment and the clock starts ticking from that date! 

Hi lindajoyce23,

Depending on the State you live in, there are plans that cover pre-existing conditions and allow the Cancel For Any Reason coverage for purchase up to 21 days after your 1st payment.

What entity did you pay pay the $24.99 processing fee to?

Steve Dasseos