Is there special insurance for this scenario?

I go on a cruise with two other couples.  Upon embarkation one cannot board due to testing positive for covid at the port.  Do they receive their cruise fare back from insurance?  Do the other travel companions get the same coverage since they are traveling together and don't want to continue the trip?

9 hours ago, KyleClark said:

I go on a cruise with two other couples.  Upon embarkation one cannot board due to testing positive for covid at the port.  Do they receive their cruise fare back from insurance?  Do the other travel companions get the same coverage since they are traveling together and don't want to continue the trip?

Hi Kyle,

The only way this will be covered is:

1) If one of the travelers has a positive test for Covid, whether or not they have symptoms, do not cancel your trip based on that test. They will have to see a doctor in person. If the doctor tells them they have to cancel their trip and and be quaratined, you are all covered for the Trip Cancellation as long as its substantiated with medical records. I think it’s nearly a 100% likelihood the doctor tells you to cancel based on a positive test.

2) If the policy you have covers Covid.

I wrote a Blog post on Oct 21, 2020 called "Does a Trip Cancellation Plan Cover a Last-Minute Positive Covid Test?" here:
https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/does-a-trip-cancellation-plan-cover-a-last-minute-positive-covid-test/

And I wrote a followup to it today called "More About What is Covered for Covid":

I hope this makes sense.

Steve Dasseos

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/more-about-what-is-covered-for-covid/

• Like 1