Will the ship wait for 50 passengers?

tamil

First time cruiser here who booked with a group of 50 from work. The organizers made the decision to go with cruise air. I found out last night that we leave Toronto at 8:00am, connect in Chicago :confused: and don't arrive in FLL until 2:26pm (fingers crossed):eek: . What are the chances that the ship will wait for us if we're late?

Especially since you purchased cruise air, Princess has an obligation to get you to the ship. I would think they would hold the ship a little rather than pay the expense of getting 50 people to the next port.

I know it's SAYS that in the fine print...just wanted to make sure some cruisers have experienced that...not that I'd want to keep the ship waiting for us...BUT...the last two years, have experienced delays at Chicago O'Hare...what would be the chances of 3 years in a row??? :cool:

Thanks again!

Looks like many, many pax will miss ships today with our blizzard.

Just spoke to a friend who works on the Star Princess & he said they are all wondering how many will miss the ship due to the snow.

The one GOOD thing is booking Princess Air. They stand by getting you to the ship. Unfortunately with Mother Nature not being so cooperative you may have to wait.

Good Luck & Travel Safe.

Especially since you purchased cruise air, Princess has an obligation to get you to the ship. I would think they would hold the ship a little rather than pay the expense of getting 50 people to the next port.

Princess Cruiseline and all the other cruiselines offer air ticketing merely as a convenience for their cruise passengers. Read your passenger contract.

It is up to the airline to get you to the ship.

I think your ship will wait as long as they are notified. On one of our cruises, they announced that the departure would be delayed as they were waiting for about 60 passengers who had been delayed leaving from Philadelphia airport (snowstorm). It did not affect the timing of our arrival at our first port....they probably can make it up during the night.

We once were on a ship that waited for about six passengers. (We saw them arrive at the dock, and were underway about ten minutes later). We DID miss the first port....................... Captain announced that we were waiting for mechanical reasons, but when we saw six female passengers, dressed to the gills, arrive, we were sure we had seen the mechanical reasons. :)

we were sure we had seen the mechanical reasons. :)

:D

Too bad you missed the first port though.

I feel bad for the blizzard people today, that must really be stressful - I have always been lucky and never had a weather concern with flights. Although I was caught in the big blackout a few years ago that delayed a departure.

Shore Operations and the airport are in continual contact during the day, updating the ship constantly as to what flights are coming in and at what times delayed flights are rescheduled to arrive. The airport supervisors and pier supervisors have a report that lists how many people are on a flight - they know this based on those booking Princess Air and those who have purchased transfers and provided their flight details at least 30 days prior.

If you are on a flight and have not purchased air or transfers and have not updated your flight info 30 days prior, you are considered an independent and the cruiseline has no idea how you plan to arrive.

The decision to wait is the Captain's. He basis his decision on what speed he needs to get to the next port in time. Depending on the weather, sea conditions, how many knots he has to do (and if he can even do that speed) etc., he decides how long he can wait. Once that time passes, the ship leaves.

Neither the airline nor the cruiseline are responsible for delays based on weather. Any hotel/new airfare to catch the ship at it's next port of call is the passenger's responsibility. Stranded passengers need to contact Princess to advise their flight arrangements to the ship so the port agent in that port can arrange to get them to the ship in time.

Lesson to all - this is why the insurance is so important, as well as arriving the day before...

work. I found out last night that we leave Toronto at 8:00am, connect in Chicago :confused: and don't arrive in FLL until 2:26pm (fingers crossed):eek: . What are the chances that the ship will wait for us if we're late?

Why did the organizers book you on flights that will involve 6 1/2 hours to get from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale? A direct flight would take just a little over 3 hours. Would the cost have been that much different to stress out 50 people for an extra 3 1/2 hours of flying and then wondering whether you will make it to the ship on time?

Why did the organizers book you on flights that will involve 6 1/2 hours to get from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale? A direct flight would take just a little over 3 hours. Would the cost have been that much different to stress out 50 people for an extra 3 1/2 hours of flying and then wondering whether you will make it to the ship on time?

FYI - Obviously noone would choose to take a 61/2 hour flight when a 3 hour is available. We bought Princess air because it insures that the cruiseline gets us to the ship at either the embarkation point or 1st port of call if weather etc. impedes our arrival on time. (The cruiseline also pays to 'put us up' in a hotel at the ship's first port of call if our flight misses the ships departure.)

That said, by buying Princess air you also are at the mercy of the cruiseline and their flight availability for the price they quote you when you purchase your tix. ie: We were put on a flight from Toronto to Montreal to Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale as our initial tix from Princess. Obviously that was unacceptible. They said that 3 plane change flight was all they had available at the price we were originally quoted for our flights. (Our flight quote was $335 pp) Sooo, I was told my only recourse was paying an additional $175 pp more for a flight that is taking us from Toronto to Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale. (Some bargain, huh?) The real kicker is I am flying in a day early to catch my cruise, but because of our flight we will hardly have any actual relaxation time prior to leaving on our cruise the next day. What a racket! I am not a happy camper and my travel agent is "so sorry about this and surprised at having seen our original flight schedule, but there is nothing she can do about it."

Somehow, I think she cxould have at least gotten us a freebie or perk elsewhere to make up for this HORRIBLE inconvenience and extra expense. Guess not!

FYI - Obviously noone would choose to take a 61/2 hour flight when a 3 hour is available. We bought Princess air because it insures that the cruiseline gets us to the ship at either the embarkation point or 1st port of call if weather etc. impedes our arrival on time. (The cruiseline also pays to 'put us up' in a hotel at the ship's first port of call if our flight misses the ships departure.)

That said, by buying Princess air you also are at the mercy of the cruiseline and their flight availability for the price they quote you when you purchase your tix. ie: We were put on a flight from Toronto to Montreal to Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale as our initial tix from Princess. Obviously that was unacceptible. They said that 3 plane change flight was all they had available at the price we were originally quoted for our flights. (Our flight quote was $335 pp) Sooo, I was told my only recourse was paying an additional $175 pp more for a flight that is taking us from Toronto to Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale. (Some bargain, huh?) The real kicker is I am flying in a day early to catch my cruise, but because of our flight we will hardly have any actual relaxation time prior to leaving on our cruise the next day. What a racket! I am not a happy camper and my travel agent is "so sorry about this and surprised at having seen our original flight schedule, but there is nothing she can do about it."

Somehow, I think she cxould have at least gotten us a freebie or perk elsewhere to make up for this HORRIBLE inconvenience and extra expense. Guess not!

that is not a great way to start your vacation, but how much did your TA quote as a price for Toronto to Lauderdale, direct?

If you are flying in a day early, do you really need the assurrance of the cruiseline getting you to the ship? I think it is a shame that you already have the extra expense of a hotel stay pre-cruise and then have the inconvenience of the long flight too. One or the other is bad enough but to have to pay extra and also the long flights is tooo much.

Cruise line air is the number one complaint agents receive.

If you want to pick your flights, pay the air deviation fees and the upcharges for your desired flights.

Better yet, do your own air.

The cruiseline uses the cheapest routings they can find. It doesn't make a bit of difference to them if it takes 6 hours or 4, they pick the cheapest they can find. The air/sea department is a revenue producing department after all.

Oh, it's not up to the Captain to wait or depart.. it's up to Fleet Operations.

I don't think the organizers had any idea either until we met up last night. I blame the TA...she didn't appear to have a good understanding/knowledge of what was happening. People weren't TOO upset last night about our flight down... simply because we weren't told we would be arriving at 2:30.

People from the group were REALLY upset to find out many of us are on separate flights back...some with more than 1 stop. She couldn't even tell us if families would be together on the same flight...:eek: . She didn't bring that information with her, so we all have to wait until we can pick up our tickets this week...sigh!!:confused:

Thanks for all your input...I will try to "think happy thoughts" and visualize stepping on board in Ft. Lauderdale on March 11th!

The TA never gave me an option to pick a flight until I was offered the crummy Toronto to Chicago to Ft Lauderdale flight. I was told that flight was my 'best' option and there were no direct flights available any more because that weekend is 'spring break' in Canada.

If you are flying in a day early, do you really need the assurrance of the cruiseline getting you to the ship? I think it is a shame that you already have the extra expense of a hotel stay pre-cruise and then have the inconvenience of the long flight too. One or the other is bad enough but to have to pay extra and also the long flights is tooo much.

Bravo to you for understanding my other problem with having to pay extra for a 'better flight'. I paid the high cost for our pre-cruise hotel and location (of the Cruiseline's choice) in order to avoid paying the flight deciation charge, but ended up paying it anyway because I wanted a better flight. I could have had a stay in a Amerisuite for $99.00 a room, but took Princesses Marriott hotel room for $259./night to avoid the 'deviation' cost. Guess I was damned if I do and damned if I don't. So I ended up getting damned both ways. :(

The cruiseline uses the cheapest routings they can find. It doesn't make a bit of difference to them if it takes 6 hours or 4, they pick the cheapest they can find. The air/sea department is a revenue producing department after all.

Which is why it is ludicrous to say the cruise line offers it as a convenience.

Cruise line air is the number one complaint agents receive.

If you want to pick your flights, pay the air deviation fees and the upcharges for your desired flights.

Better yet, do your own air.

Oh, it's not up to the Captain to wait or depart.. it's up to Fleet Operations.

I paid what I told to pay at the time and then ended up paying high pre-cruise hotel rates to avoid 'deviation costs and upcharges' and then was given a ridiculous flights that left me with little choice about paying deviation charges and upcharges. My TA said she'd never seen a 3 plane change flight before. Lucky me!

Archived