Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 03

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, January 11 and Sunday, January 17.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

It snowed here in Oxford, MS yesterday.  I took advantage and grabbed my camera and walked around campus.  I just love the snow!  These pictures are (top to bottom):  Ventress Hall, a row of bushes that looked like cotton to me, and a tree by Bondurant Hall.  I loved how it looks black and white except for the hydrant.

IMG_1133.thumb.JPG.3faf0ea9fe44804387fe762945f70bcc.JPGIMG_1144.thumb.JPG.e1e44edf7cc05775b21539594cc39203.JPGIMG_1146.thumb.JPG.011430fa82b2a2b4c60bc353eb1b687d.JPG

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

It snowed here in Oxford, MS yesterday.  

I would never in my life have deciphered your username if my niece didn't play softball there. 

The pictures are nicely done as well! 😉

Dave

Edited by pierces

17 minutes ago, pierces said:

I would never in my life have deciphered your username if my niece didn't play softball there. 

The pictures are nicely done as well! 😉

Dave

When did she play softball here?  I've only lived here for 2 1/2 years now, although I did spend 4 years here as a student.  I loved going to the softball games in 2019 (or maybe it was 2018)!  That NCAA Regional Game was EPIC!!!

Thank you for the compliment on the pictures.  I'm still learning how to use my EOS Rebel in something other than "point and shoot" mode.

Edited by olemissreb

14 hours ago, olemissreb said:

When did she play softball here?  I've only lived here for 2 1/2 years now, although I did spend 4 years here as a student.  I loved going to the softball games in 2019 (or maybe it was 2018)!  That NCAA Regional Game was EPIC!!!

Thank you for the compliment on the pictures.  I'm still learning how to use my EOS Rebel in something other than "point and shoot" mode.

She plays there now. Her name is Paige Smith and she's quite good, I'm told. Upcoming season should be a challenge with all that's going on.

With billions of dollars in research by the manufacturers to make AUTO smarter than most of us, there's no shame there. Personally, I shoot about 99% in aperture priority to maintain control over depth of field. The aperture adjustment and the +/- exposure compensation dial are about the only controls I use when out and about.

Happy shooting!

Dave

4 hours ago, pierces said:

She plays there now. Her name is Paige Smith and she's quite good, I'm told. Upcoming season should be a challenge with all that's going on.

With billions of dollars in research by the manufacturers to make AUTO smarter than most of us, there's no shame there. Personally, I shoot about 99% in aperture priority to maintain control over depth of field. The aperture adjustment and the +/- exposure compensation dial are about the only controls I use when out and about.

Happy shooting!

Dave

I've got ISO set to Auto, so aperture (f-stop?) and exposure are the only adjustments I use.  I just have to learn the best combinations for various conditions.  Thank goodness for digital these days so I can play with combinations!

If I get to any of the softball games this year, I'll look for your niece!

Edited by olemissreb

27 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

I've got ISO set to Auto, so aperture (f-stop?) and exposure are the only adjustments I use.  I just have to learn the best combinations for various conditions.  Thank goodness for digital these days so I can play with combinations!

If I get to any of the softball games this year, I'll look for your niece!

I didn't mention is but I also use ISO-AUTO. I will occasionally override and pick it manually, but usually I leave it on auto and set the minimum shutter speed at which the ISO increases to match whatever I'm shooting. I usually leave it at 1/15s but if I'm shooting action (or frenetic grandkids), I'll set it to 1/250s or 1/500s as needed. Using the minimum shutter function along with aperture priority and auto-ISO works better for me than shutter priority because it still lets me control depth of field while worrying less about motion blur.

All this control! It's a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

• Like 1

One of our semi-local breweries is notorious for expensive but outstanding specialty beers. Back in the oughts, they started an annual release of seasonal beers named after the gifts in the Twelve Days of Christmas song, My fancy beer appreciation started around  the release of Five Golden Rings and it was spectacular. The seasonal search for the current release in the years that followed became a Christmas tradition. I always regretted missing the first few. 2021 started with my son-in-law delivering a collection of all twelve days from a 2020 re-release of the series. Friend Ron and I split the Partridge in a Pear Tree and Two Turtle Doves over the weekend and unanimously voted Ronnie into the Beer-Gifting Hall of Fame. Cheers, Ronnie!

The First Day

211591214_2021-03TheFirstDay.thumb.jpg.ec0de787dc6d57c89acc843e111e5492.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

The three day weekend was a lovely break, but I didn't get a chance to go through my Saturday wetlands photos until last night...here are a few favorites from a very nice day out - weather was cooler and sunny and the birds were very happy:

Purple gallinule:

original.jpg

Pine warbler, very close up:

original.jpg

A grey-headed swamphen in a rare moment, actually in flight (they're usually lazy, fat birds that wade along in the water and on the reeds eating roots):

original.jpg

A tricolor heron doing his impression of the Roadrunner cartoon...meep meep!:

original.jpg

Black-bellied whistling coming straight at the lens at high speed:

original.jpg

Double-crested cormorant either approaching to land, or hovering in the air with its wings out like a vampire:

original.jpg

• Like 6