Houston-Galveston rental car vs. shuttle?

pugsbest

I am researching transportation options to get from Houston to Galveston and back. We can rent a car one way for a little less than $100 each time (plus gas money), or just take one of the shuttle services. Has anyone rented a car and done this? Is it a hassle? Does the Hertz office in Galveston have a shuttle to the dock? We would'nt save a lot of money, but it might be nice to have a car to stop along the way. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I am in the same boat trying to decide on transportation. I hear that only Enterprise has the drop off at the pier. I haven't called yet though. I just don't want to rent a car just to leave it. So I will probably use the limo service or rent a taxi. Just trying to research prices on that now.

I hope you get some opinions.

Jen

Elation 8/22/04

Destiny 12/03

Victory 11/02

Destiny 11/01

US Lines Patriot(Hawaii)2/01

Sensation 11/99

Sovereign of the Seas 5/95

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Check CoachUSA. They usually have shuttle service for less than what Carnival offers. I am driving from Dallas, so am leaving the rental car at the port. It's $60 for the 7 days. Any alternatives to avoid the parking fee?Which airport are you flying into, IAH or HOU??

The problem you will run into with the rental cars,is if you are coming in on Sunday's.There is only one that has just started offering service on this day.That is Enterprise in Galveston.You will have to call them directly,and ask for the cruise special.I think it is very reasonable.No other agencies at this point are doing this.You actually have to call them when you get off/or into town,and they will have someone meet you.IF you are coming in on Saturday,and going to keep the car all week,you can just use the airport service.

<RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

If you are flying in on Saturday and spending the night in Galveston the one way rental is a great idea. It will give you more flexability on your precruise day. I don't see any benefit to renting on the returning Sunday unless you have a very late flight. I would use a taxi or limo for the return to the airport.

AFAIK Hertz does not provide a shuttle to the pier in Galveston but some of the hotels do. Some hotels may pick you up at Hertz but you would need to confirm that with the hotels.

Elation 11/2003

Conquest 01/2003

Jubilee 11/2002

Victory 02/2001

Destiny 02/2000

Geotide 11/1992

United States 06/1962

I called the Galveston Enterprise office because the web site said they were closed on Sunday. Apparently they open up on Sunday for cruise passengers only at 12:00. I had to call the IAH airport rental office directly to make the reservation and it was $88 for a mid-size car. Still not sure this is what I want to do, but went ahead and made the reservation. I checked into renting a car for the full week, but with parking was way more expensive than the other options. I e-mailed the taxi companies and the fare from IAH-Galveston is about $120 for mini-van. Galveston Limosine shuttle service is $60 and Carnival is $66. So looks like the cheapest is the 1 way rental car. If anyone has done this please let me know how it was.

Right,thats why I said you had to call them directly,because this a service they offer only to cruise passengers on Sunday's.They and all others are closed for regular business in Sunday's.Is the 88 for 2 one way rentals??

I assume you are not spending the night?

If you were,most hotels offer free parking.

and a shuttle to the pier.

Galveston Limo is widely used,and has a very good track record.They are a passenger van,and not a Limo,but seem to have a good rep.

<RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

Hey Pugsbest,

I am also coming from the PNW and chose to do a prenight w/Carnival...it was $115pp Tremont House) and included a car from IAH...We drop it at the pier when we leave and then pay $33pp for return to IAH. This might be more than you want to pay but after being on 16 previous cruises, I like the security of being there a day early. Just another option to think about

Debbie

crzndeb that is a great deal. The Treamont is the best hotel on the island. It is also only a few blocks from the pier. If you are an early riser you can watch the ship pull in, usually about 6:30 am.

The Hertz office in Galveston lists Saturday and Sunday hours as 8:00 to 13:00. You might want to check their rates.

Hertz Galveston

Elation 11/2003

Conquest 01/2003

Jubilee 11/2002

Victory 02/2001

Destiny 02/2000

Geotide 11/1992

United States 06/1962

We are actually flying in the night before and ended up getting a couple hotel rooms through priceline.com at the Wyndham. We are paying less than $40 per night per room. Checked Galvaston hotels and they were all quite a bit more expensive and the 2 priceline hotels were already full. Figured if we stayed in Houston we could either rent a car or take a shuttle from the airport depending on cost.

We did check Hertz, but they were a little more than Enterprise and I don't think they offer a shuttle to the dock. By the way the $88 Enterprise charges is one way, we have to rent again on the return.

pugsbest it looks like you have atleast 4 people. I think you will find the easiest most convenient and least expensive route would be to check with the private limo services. As the hotel offers a free shuttle from the airport you don't really need a car. Here is a link to Extreme Elegance limo service. If you have 4 or more people it looks like it costs $30/person. Thats the same as the shuttles from IAH but they will pick you up at the hotel on your schedule.

Happy cruising!

Elation 11/2003

Conquest 01/2003

Jubilee 11/2002

Victory 02/2001

Destiny 02/2000

Geotide 11/1992

United States 06/1962

yst347,

Thanks for the great link! We can take a limo for less that Carnival charges! Awesome!!! Wait until I tell the girls. I assumed a limo would be much more than that, so really didn't check it out.

Thanks again,

Julie

You're very welcome. I hope you have a nice stay in our home town and a great cruise!

Elation 11/2003

Conquest 01/2003

Jubilee 11/2002

Victory 02/2001

Destiny 02/2000

Geotide 11/1992

United States 06/1962

I didn't realize a limo was that cheap either? So that is 30pp? I also read somewhere that a taxi is per person? Is that right? Any city I have ever taken a taxi in (Las Vegas, Miami, Boston, etc) is a cab price! Does anyone have experiene with a cab from Houston Hobby to Galveston for more than two people. We are traveling with our two kids. Thanks

Jen

Elation 8/22/04

Destiny 12/03

Victory 11/02

Destiny 11/01

Sensation 11/99

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Jen,

I e-mailed the cab compamy's directly for the fare from George Bush airport to Galvaston. It was $120 each way. Houston Hobby was $80 each way. I don't think taxi's are allowed to charge per person.

Julie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pugsbest:

Jen,

I e-mailed the cab compamy's directly for the fare from George Bush airport to Galvaston. It was $120 each way. Houston Hobby was $80 each way. I don't think taxi's are allowed to charge per person.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I 'spect they can charge whatever they want. IAH to Galveston is a pretty long drive, and remember that they will most likely be coming back empty. So, they are basically charging you the same as a round trip. It cost them the same as a round trip to operate.

Carnival Carnivale -1988

Carnival Celebration - 2001

Carnival Celebration -June 2004

Horsewhisperer,

Was that per person or per limo ride? There are four in our family. Good thing the cruise is a great price cuz the cab ride is going to kill us!!! icon_frown.gif

Elation 8/22/04

Destiny 12/03

Victory 11/02

Destiny 11/01

Sensation 11/99

valorvampires.gif

Galveston Limo is a shuttle service. They charge per-person and they fill their shuttle before they leave the airport.

They offer a fine service and it is less expensive than what Carnival provides if you are a group of 3 or less.

If you click on the link I provided above and read it you will see that a private car service can be a better deal if you are 4 or more.

It is an 80 minute drive from IAH to the pier in Galveston. It is a 60 minute drive from HOU to Galveston. It will cost a bit for the traansfer. Renting a car makes little sense if you are not arriving a day early as one way rental options are limited.

Elation 11/2003

Conquest 01/2003

Jubilee 11/2002

Victory 02/2001

Destiny 02/2000

Geotide 11/1992

United States 06/1962

Just returned from the 4/25 Elation. We did the one way car rental from Hertz as we have family in Texas and wanted to visit on the way to Galveston. We rented through Hertz. There is a coupon in the Entertainment Book for a free double upgrade if available on a one way rental. We rented mid-size for about $74.99/day plus taxes, fees, etc. No upgrade going to Galveston but did get an upgrade coming back. Hertz had a shuttle to and from the pier. We did not have to call when we got in, they just came by. Worked out well for us, but make sure you rent a car big enough for your luggage!! For our family of four, this was a fairly inexpensive way of getting down there and we got to see family along the way!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until the Elation!! 4/25/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;10;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

10/24 on the Star Princess

I am going through extreme elegance and with tip it will still be less expensive than a shuttle. We have 12 people, so it works out pretty good. If you have 4 or more people, it's less expensive to take a limo. If you go to galveston.com there is a link for the prices from extreme elegance.

Archived