Oceania vs Celebrity Suites

tmk1941

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Really depends on the itinerary. I’ve seen comparisons where O is cheaper than Celebrity for the same ports/days. 

Can anyone show me any itinerary where O is only 30% or less more than =X= for a similar itinerary ?

Edited by Tedferg

30 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Can anyone show me any itinerary where O is only 30% or less more than =X= for a similar itinerary ?

Are you asking US to do YOUR research for YOU?

There have been numerous threads (with figures) about this here on CC. So, you can do a search. OR, you can do the comparison shopping yourself. I suggest looking at Caribbean itineraries in the shoulder season. Just make sure you include the Celebrity options that are included on O. 
And FWIW, remember that many Oceania Connoisseurs Club TAs will add SBC in the amount of 5-10% of the commissionable fare.

But, even after all these computations, the reality remains: if you choose Celebrity, what you’ll get is Celebrity. And the experience will never compare to Oceania.

56 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Ted, it seems like your mind is made up. But, I'll state what many posters have said many times. The only real way to know if it's worth it to you is to find a cruise on Oceania and take it. Then you'll know if the extra cost is justified. It is for many of us. 

I will say that comparing prices right now is not really what happens in regular times. There are many ways to reduce the price of your cruise. Once things are going if you are connected with the right TA the prices sometimes get better, or you become eligible for low cost upgrades. Also many of us here are Silver or higher which increases the value of going on Oceania. SBC, included grats, for those higher than silver no charge for air deviation, Spa credits, not to mention the free cruise at 20 credits, but that takes an investment in time and money. Have you added in the cost of free specialty restaurants compared to those on other lines? Then again it depends on whether quality food is important to you. It's not for many people. Some folks are completely happy driving a Ford or Chevy, while others will spring for a Mercedes or BMW. Once again it all comes down to what premium you put on quality. Just like everything in life, you get what you pay for. 

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

While this is something that is not available at this time a couple of years ago we went on a Caribbean sailing on Riviera for 10 days in a B1 veranda for $220 a day, for the two of us. This was with Olife but no air. We received $1000 OBC which effectively lowered the price to $120 a day. On top of this we had a $460 Spa credit. In full disclosure that is only $300 now. Also in full disclosure I had a voucher for 25% off due to being on a sailing that had noro on it. But, if you know what you're doing the deals can be had. 

PS, have you checked Celebrity pricing lately since they've gone to Always Included? Not as cheap as it used to be. 

ORV you stated it elegantly and completely. The automobile says it well, I drove Saab and Audi and loved the difference over Ford I currently drive a Honda and think it is great too - would not pay Mercedes price but do appreciate the difference in quality and features.

Flatbush, we have twice had to cancel Canada New England out of New York. I just saw an O itinerary for $9,198 versus =X= for $7500 at that rate I would be more interested, plus I feel O has some perks I was not aware of. Now if I start adding air fare ?????? Who know I might be a convert yet !!!

Thanks for all inputs.

15 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

ORV you stated it elegantly and completely. The automobile says it well, I drove Saab and Audi and loved the difference over Ford I currently drive a Honda and think it is great too - would not pay Mercedes price but do appreciate the difference in quality and features.

Flatbush, we have twice had to cancel Canada New England out of New York. I just saw an O itinerary for $9,198 versus =X= for $7500 at that rate I would be more interested, plus I feel O has some perks I was not aware of. Now if I start adding air fare ?????? Who know I might be a convert yet !!!

Thanks for all inputs.

Though it makes sense to start with a “short” one or two week cruise on O, do know that, where O really shines is on longer cruises. And (with or without included air or air credit when choosing O life), know that the itinerary driven number of tours (if you choose that O Life perk) can be double the value of the SBC perk if you choose the allowable $200 ones.

Like ORV, we’re Platinum O Club, which means included gratuities, $500 SBC and $300 spa credit (all per cabin) on every cruise. Not that anyone, should pick a line on loyalty perks but, the complimentary 14 day cruise anywhere every several years.

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though it makes sense to start with a “short” one or two week cruise on O, do know that, where O really shines is on longer cruises. And (with or without included air or air credit when choosing O life), know that the itinerary driven number of tours (if you choose that O Life perk) can be double the value of the SBC perk if you choose the allowable $200 ones.

Like ORV, we’re Platinum O Club, which means included gratuities, $500 SBC and $300 spa credit (all per cabin) on every cruise. Not that anyone, should pick a line on loyalty perks but, the complimentary 14 day cruise anywhere every several years.

We have a bucket list cruise from Australia, Sydney to include Tahiti, Bora Bora. I believe I looked at O. Will try again.

On 1/18/2021 at 12:01 PM, Hlitner said:

I think one can look at a comparison in several different ways.  Consider that one could cruise on another line such as Celebrity for much less then the cost of "O" and simply pay extra to have all their dinners in one of the decent alternative restaurants.  So, for example, we have cruised in a nice balcony cabin on Solstice Class ships for about $100 per passenger day and then spent an extra $33 dollars per day (we  bought a dining package at a discounted price) which we used to dine in Murano (a very upscale venue) nearly every night.   We know other cruisers who prefer HAL and choose to eat all their dinners in HAL's Pinnacle Grill.

I only post this to encourage folks to compare apples to apples.  While "O" may have superior cuisine in their MDR, other lines may have even more superior cuisine in alternative restaurants.   It may well be that one can get comparable or nicer cabins/suites on other lines, pay for better dining options, and still save significant money over "O" pricing.   My post is not meant to knock "O" but to simply point out that there are plenty of other options for those seeking better then average cruise cuisine.

Hank

If you are only comparing food you are correct. But O and X are two totally different types of cruise lines, which to me cannot be compared as they are totally different. I have posted about this a lot lately and stand by it.

I found their food in all venues to be the best at sea - hands down - granted I have only sailed Celebrity, Azamara and Oceania. But it was second to none. 

Additionally, Oceania is a luxury type cruise line; Celebrity is not. Your onboard experience in your stateroom and within the public spaces is not build for a luxury type experience. The passenger-crew ratio is not build for a luxury type experience. The food  and ingredient quality is not either. And so it is simply stating you could travel in an inside stateroom and then just eat in the specialty dining rooms for a comparable experience is inaccurate in mho.

If you have traveled on Oceania ships, the whole experience is meant to feel elevated from the moment you walk on to the ship. The fixtures, the fabrics etc. are all chosen with that in mind. The passenger experience whether you are oceanview or suite is great. The passenger-crew ratio is amazing, to the point that upon entering a public space, it is almost as if a crew member materializes to assist you with whatever you need from a beverage to directions. 

The staterooms are beautiful, the beds so very comfortable. Our butlers have always been amazing and attentive. 

On Oceania, a seat by the pool can be had in the middle of the after if you wish. Where seats are scarce are on the outside are of the Terrace Cafe, or the sunbeds in the alcoves! lol But there are always lots of place around the ship to sit and relax, there is never a crowded or full feeling.

All this is not to say that Celebrity is not a great product also, but it is to say it is a different product - a different experience. Celebrity HQ is not trying to impress you and provide you with the cruise experience that Oceania HQ is providing. Both lines are great and have their niche, but they are not the same. 

2 minutes ago, Sabbycat said:

If you are only comparing food you are correct. But O and X are two totally different types of cruise lines, which to me cannot be compared as they are totally different. I have posted about this a lot lately and stand by it.

I found their food in all venues to be the best at sea - hands down - granted I have only sailed Celebrity, Azamara and Oceania. But it was second to none. 

Additionally, Oceania is a luxury type cruise line; Celebrity is not. Your onboard experience in your stateroom and within the public spaces is not build for a luxury type experience. The passenger-crew ratio is not build for a luxury type experience. The food  and ingredient quality is not either. And so it is simply stating you could travel in an inside stateroom and then just eat in the specialty dining rooms for a comparable experience is inaccurate in mho.

If you have traveled on Oceania ships, the whole experience is meant to feel elevated from the moment you walk on to the ship. The fixtures, the fabrics etc. are all chosen with that in mind. The passenger experience whether you are oceanview or suite is great. The passenger-crew ratio is amazing, to the point that upon entering a public space, it is almost as if a crew member materializes to assist you with whatever you need from a beverage to directions. 

The staterooms are beautiful, the beds so very comfortable. Our butlers have always been amazing and attentive. 

On Oceania, a seat by the pool can be had in the middle of the after if you wish. Where seats are scarce are on the outside are of the Terrace Cafe, or the sunbeds in the alcoves! lol But there are always lots of place around the ship to sit and relax, there is never a crowded or full feeling.

All this is not to say that Celebrity is not a great product also, but it is to say it is a different product - a different experience. Celebrity HQ is not trying to impress you and provide you with the cruise experience that Oceania HQ is providing. Both lines are great and have their niche, but they are not the same. 

While I agree with much of what you say I do not agree that "O" is a luxury cruise line.  Some here call it a Premium Line which might be a better description.  In my world, having cruised on 15 lines in all categories from budget to luxury (which I sometimes call ultra luxury)  I do not believe that "O" can make any claim to be a luxury line as long as they operate their "R" ships.  The cabin sizes and cabin bathroom sizes on the R vessels do not come close to luxury standards found on true luxury vessels such as you find with Regent, Seabourn, Silverseas, etc.   As to crew ratio the approximate 1.8 passengers per crew on the R ships (varies depending on how many third berths are used) is not even close to luxury lines that have ratios generally in the 1.3 range.  

I do agree that "O" has a niche that is different from X that niche seems to fall somewhere between the larger ship mass market lines and the true luxury lines.  

Hank