Extending Final Payment Date ?

13cheermom

So for those that have called in to try to have their final payment extend, does that also protect your refundable deposit already paid until that date?  I understand the need to push that date out further closer to the sailing to make sure it actually happens especially within the next 5-6 months.  Just wondering does it also protect your deposit until that final date as well. Thanks for any information or experience in dealing with this situation!

17 minutes ago, tree.critter said:

Yes, when they extend it the same rules will apply with whatever the new date is that they give you. 

Thanks so much!  Have a May MG cruise that I don't think is going to happen, however I don't want to make final payment before they make a decision on whether to cancel, lol.  

12 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

This is not my experience. After the original final payment date, your refundable deposit is no longer refundable. Cancelation rules start on the actual final payment date, not the extended one. Make sure to confirm when you call in.

Thanks, this is why I wanted to verify before deciding how to proceed. 

On 1/16/2021 at 10:53 AM, 13cheermom said:

Thanks so much!  Have a May MG cruise that I don't think is going to happen, however I don't want to make final payment before they make a decision on whether to cancel, lol.  

Do not worry.  You have a zero percent chance of sailing. Carnival has officially cancelled through March 31, while some of their competitors have cancelled through April 30.  Even if by some miracle Carnival starts their test cruises on April 1, you still need the 60 day CDC window and short 3/4 day cruises to commence before the MG starts up.  Mardi Gras...end of August, maybe.  I'm on the fence whether our Halloween cruise on her will go.

I have an April 23rd Cruise coming up with the Final Payment due Feb 7th. So far I have only paid a few dollars over the deposit. I'm pretty sure Carnival will cancel at this point so I want to take advantage of the OBC if this happens. I have the exact same cruise booked already in November so I would just transfer to that one. If they both Cruise, Yay! all the better. Anyway I've never tried to extend final payment dates and want to make sure they give me solid verification. Will my Cruise Manager on the  Carnival Website reflect the new Payment Date immediately? I'm sure I can probably ask for email verification as well? Like so many others I've cancelled and rebooked a few other cruises and don't really want to tie up more money anymore than I have to. I don't really understand the posts on losing your deposit above. Is that only if you cancel your own cruise before they do? I have no plans to do that so I should be good, right? Thanks in advance for your help.

39 minutes ago, vinsheer said:

I don't really understand the posts on losing your deposit above. Is that only if you cancel your own cruise before they do? I have no plans to do that so I should be good, right? Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't deal with non-refundable deposits (NRD) but I believe that if it's 150.00 pp, you lose 50.00 pp as a penalty and the remaining 100.00 pp is transferred as a future cruise credit (FCC). This would occur at anytime you cancel from initial deposit right up until final payment is due.

If I am wrong,  I will be corrected. 

Yes but the cancellation penalties only apply if you cancel your own cruise right? Not if Carnival cancels all the cruises for that month. It just then would transfer over right. At least that is what I saw with the other ones Carnival Cancelled and then I rebooked with FCC. I've never tried to extend my final payment date so I'm nervous about trying that. I'll probably again end up just paying balance on due date.

8 hours ago, vinsheer said:

I've never tried to extend my final payment date so I'm nervous about trying that. I'll probably again end up just paying balance on due date.

This was the reason for my OP, never have done this, and am getting conflicting opinions on how it affects the refundable deposit.  I for one am not paying final payment which is due 2/7/21, already have over 10K tied up with a Princess Alaskan cruise from last year, that we thought would happen, lol.  I will probably just call and have the booking moved to next November if Carnival doesn't cancel before 2/7/21.  Good Luck with your dilemma as well!

• Like 1