Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

13 hours ago, Hazard10 said:

There was no extra charge. You just needed to register interest onboard 

Thanks for the continued information - your rare firsthand experience is much appreciated!

Those interested in the submersibles might like to take a look at the manufacturers site

https://www.uboatworx.com/model/cruisesub 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Jim - the limit on passengers going on landings is outside Viking's control and applies to every cruise line that travels to Antarctica. Even NatGeo.  So you can't call that a downer. It's just reality. 

Yes, I know.  That is why some think a smaller ship carrying a hundred or so passengers is a better option.  Not necessarily my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes, I know.  That is why some think a smaller ship carrying a hundred or so passengers is a better option.  Not necessarily my opinion.

Valid point. But we chose Viking because we also like the amenities of a cruise ship. Best of both worlds.

• Like 3

And thanks to those posting pictures and info here I have a lot of interest in seeing these ships.  Having run a ship for a few years in the Northern polar regions the idea of lots of snow, ice, rough seas, etc. are not a real draw for me but the ships seem to have lots of possibilities.  They look very versatile and, like the Great Lakes, are probably destined for other interesting itineraries.  Looking forward to reading some live reviews.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2022 at 5:38 PM, Hazard10 said:

We entered the ribs via the door in the last photo attached. There is a step down to it and 4-5 people helping if needed. Everyone I saw was fine on this including people in their 80s.

Thank you for great pics and info. I am wondering about the Covid procedures for food. Are there buffets, self serve coffee, etc. would love to know if you have time to comment.  We have an upcoming cruise booked on this ship. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Hazard10 said:

Is that on the octantis or polaris?

I should know but not seen any info 

Polaris. It's been  posted on the main VE site since last year. We booked it with FCVs last spring.  It sold out quickly which may be why you missed it. 

https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/cruise-destinations/arctic-svalbard/arctic-adventure/pricing.html#search/sfym=2022-8&sftcm=40-142126

I am predicting that Octantis will do this cruise in 2023 after which the two ships will do the Arctic in alternate years with both doing the Great Lakes and Antarctica every year. Look at the schedule in 2023 - both do the Great Lakes after which Polaris heads back to the Antarctica but Octantis isn't scheduled at all...yet....after the Great Lakes season. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeabodyMa said:

When kayaking, did anyone end up in the water, even briefly?

No one ended up in the water.

The bays we did the kayaking in, it would be impossible to fall out of the ones we used unless you deliberately wanted to fall in. We also wore special suits.

They are custom made and extremely steady. 

You use pedals by your feet to move forward and back and a dial to your left to turn. This keeps your hands free to take photos and enjoy the scenery.

The staff who come out with you use traditional kayaks.

I have lots of kayaking photos of interested.

20220120_103126.jpg

20220120_101237.jpg

20220120_102229.jpg

• Like 7

What an adventure in those specially made kayaks! Sound like a trip of a lifetime for those who are physically fit and have the courage to get into those small boats. 

I  only did kayaking once . It was in a mangrove swamp in Costa Rica.  It was fun but  my partner knew what she was doing ,I was just sitting in front and she steered and told me what to do and when.

Thank you Hazard10 for the great photos. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our departure is 3/8/22.  Today I attempted to do the Comfort Check-in and all went well and I was able to print our "boarding passes".  However, there was also a message to contact Customer Service because Viking "wasn't able to complete check-in for our cruise".  Anyone else get this message?   Fran

At least on the current cruise the 'comfort check-in' was a waste of time.  They seemed to have no knowledge that I had done that, couldn't do anything with the QR code it gave me, and I had to go through the checkin process again (which they did on the bus from the airport to the ship).  Not sure if they'll have their act together for later cruises or if it'll be the same.  But I don't think they intended for you to do that more than a few days before departure (like 5-7 if I recall).

I was able to speak with someone at Viking and learned that the glitch was that as a married couple they wanted each of us to have a different email address.  My check in didn't go through completely although I was able to print the "boarding pass".  Strange; we've never had to supply two separate email addresses previously.....especially when we made the reservation and they took our money.  🤣

• Like 1

I haven't seen these posted in here, but there are some new videos popping up in YouTube.  Not sure I can link the videos, so just in case they don't work, this one is from a guy/channel named Pat's Adventures.  

Also, there's another series that a guy named Jeff Sanders is working on.  It's informational in nature, he is doing one for each day of the cruise.  Here's his first video introduction, he has this one and Day 1 and Day 2 up so far.  Extremely well done:  

ETA:  I think it works better if you click on 'Watch in YouTube' and also helps give them clicks? 

Edited by amyr
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Clearwaterfi. I see on the Nespresso site there are the originals and the newer versions. I think on the older ships someone said there were the older versions of Nespresso but don't know about the new expedition ships. 

Here's some pictures from our January 23rd inaugural cruise in a large pdf file - open in Adobe Acrobe in full screen for a slide show.  In one picture I "played" golf on a glacier with a collapsible putter and NASA golf balls. It was the culmination of my bucket list to play golf on every continent:  1) North and Central America (US, Canada, Mexico, Belize, Panama. Bahamas); 2) South America (Brazil); 3) Europe (St. Andrews and other Scottish courses); 4) Asia (Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, India), 5) Africa (South Africa), 6) Australia and New Zealand, and - finally - 7) Antarctica! In other picture we picked up some sea ice, melted it, brought it home in a coke bottle and refroze it into ice cubes for a cocktail with glacial ice.  Everyone - enjoy your trip!