Carnival Pride - Europeen cruise - 10 days

POKEY1986

This cruise is leaving Rome going first to Mykonos, then Izmir, then Santorini, then Athens, then Katakolon, Messina, Naples and back to Rome. I have not been able to find a map of this. My quest is ...we are looking to book a balcony but nothing available in the back so what side do you suggest we book...left side or right side. Thank you for any insight!! 

43 minutes ago, POKEY1986 said:

This cruise is leaving Rome going first to Mykonos, then Izmir, then Santorini, then Athens, then Katakolon, Messina, Naples and back to Rome. I have not been able to find a map of this. My quest is ...we are looking to book a balcony but nothing available in the back so what side do you suggest we book...left side or right side. Thank you for any insight!! 

@POKEY1986

Howdy and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!!! emo22.gif

Thank you for starting your first thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum for general questions regarding cruising. 👍 

Since your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line, I have moved your thread to the Carnival Cruise Lines forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Carnival Pride & possibly your itinerary frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find  your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

I suggest you Follow this thread so you will be aware of any replies. 

• Click Follow at the top of the topic
  • Choose how you would like to be alerted:    
    • One email per day with all new content from that day
    • One email per week with all new content from that week
    • Do not send me any notifications
    •  Let others see that I follow this
  • Save your choices by clicking the follow button at the bottom of the list.
  • Please note: If you are a new member, your preference is set to automatically follow any topic that you start or reply to.  You will receive an email and notification when any new content is posted to your followed topics.  You can always change your preferences by clicking on your member name and choosing Manage Followed Content from the drop down menu.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

• Like 1

We've been on several European cruises and have been on both port and starboard sides. There has been no difference, when the ship docks you never know which side will be facing land-that is decided by its port authority.

An (untrue) legend of the derivation of the word POSH (luxurious, expensive) is that early ships stayed close to shore in case of trouble----therefore to see the sights the richer passengers booked Port Out Starboard Home!

Don't know if this map is what you're looking for-

cruise.png

Edited by chocolate melting cake
  • Like 1

I don't believe it matters which side you choose.  As the previous poster said, it's impossible to know in advance in which direction the ship will dock.   And when at sea, you are too far out to see land for the most part.   I would make  your balcony choice based on your preference for forward, mid-ship, or aft, and which deck would be suitable, and which areas of the ship you want to be close to or far from rather than deciding between port or starboard.   Whichever side you choose, at some point you may need to go to a public space for the best viewing.  

On a one-way cruise, which I have on the Pride next year in September, you may have a preference on whether you have sun on your balcony in the morning or afternoon.   But on a round trip cruise, you will get both.  

Have  a great time.  I also wanted an aft balcony but missed out.   But I am still beyond excited about this cruise and hoping against hope that cruising will have approached some level of normalcy by fall next year.  

• Like 1

Im doing the that itinerary in Oct 2022  Its the same Greek Island cruise the Legend had for this year but one day shorter and Corfu is missing.  Ive been on the Pride before I always get a forward starboard balcony. on the 7th deck so I have cabins above and below me for quiet. Theres only 8 decks of cabins. .If you choose 8 you'll be right under the Lido deck. .

I hope we all get to cruise in Europe next year.

6 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I don't believe it matters which side you choose.  As the previous poster said, it's impossible to know in advance in which direction the ship will dock.   

Actually of all the times Ive had a starboard balcony theres only a couple of times that side was next to the dock.

• 7 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 8:01 AM, chocolate melting cake said:

We've been on several European cruises and have been on both port and starboard sides. There has been no difference, when the ship docks you never know which side will be facing land-that is decided by its port authority.

An (untrue) legend of the derivation of the word POSH (luxurious, expensive) is that early ships stayed close to shore in case of trouble----therefore to see the sights the richer passengers booked Port Out Starboard Home!

Don't know if this map is what you're looking for-

cruise.png

Thank you!!! This is exactly what I was seeking.

On a cruise to Alaska I booked a balcony on the "land" side but never really saw anything as we were so far away.

Also, be advised that all ports these days are subject to change. The cruise you book might not be where you end up going. Kotor has been cancelled for the near future at least.

16 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I'm on the fence about booking this one or the MSC August 2022 with similar itineraries for ~ $500pp.  They don't hit Athens, but they do hit Bari and Kotor, which might remind some of fjords visited in Alaska except for the ancient architecture:20090719 Crkva Gospa od Zdravlja Kotor Bay Montenegro.jpg

If you have done Athens before, no need, but if you haven't - I'd say go with the cruise that does Athens.  I can't imagine visiting Greece and not going to Athens.  JMO.

I'm going from Rome to the Greek Islands but on Celebrity in May.  Fingers Crossed.