New thread for articles/concerns about cruise operator viability

Chris_Texas

When we did our Rhine cruise, I started checking flight costs about 1.5 years in...just to get an idea as to pricing.  I used a TA, and she told Avalon that we were interested in their air, but would wait to see pricing before booking it.  Around  December (we sailed beginning of May) I saw prices drop quite a bit, called my TA, she checked her pricing and then called Avalon.  They beat all prices we could see so went with them  For our cruise that we were to leave on next month, we got a deal for discounted air.  Unfortunately, we had to transfer our booking to next year, so we may have lost that.  I am going with Avalon again as their price was so good.  Once again, when re-booking we left it that we may go through them or on our own.

22 hours ago, Chris_Texas said:

Thank you.  

My working premise is that there's a LOT of pent-up travel demand from people not being able to travel over the last year - and that once the vaccines take root that people are going to start booking/spending at a brisk pace.  I presume that would push prices up, but you're right that it could instead play out with airlines adding more flights.  

I rarely see flights get cheaper as we get closer, although I've never booked a flight this far in advance - so this is new ground for me.

Momondo has a feature that shows historical pricing for the specific flights you are looking at. In the past it was usually around the 90 day mark, but as several have said COVID may change that. Here's a link that discusses some of their features: https://www.momondo.com/discover/frommers-best-in-test