A challenge to the UK start up?

uktog

Unfortunately the UK government has just announced mandatory 2 week quarantine in government facilities (at a significant cost) for all arrivals from the Philippines whether vaccinated or not commencing 8 April. I doubt this helps start up plans 

We're booked on the 5th June cruise aboard Viking Venus.

The Venus is apparently undergoing sea trials in the Adriatic at the moment. Not sure when they plan to set sail for UK waters.

However if they remain based in Italy for the next several weeks then they have the opportunity to assemble the necessary crew while the ship is there before travelling to UK waters. I'm not sure how many of the Viking crew originate in the Philippines - probably a fair percentage. 

If the red list order is still in place by the end of May you could envisage some form of contingency involving an embargo on any crew going ashore while in UK waters. I also understand that the crew will undergo regular daily testing so I would presume that any infected crew will be quickly identified well in advance of the ship arriving in UK waters.

Given the large number of ships of various operators and sizes selling UK cruises, I suspect problems are inevitable, sadly, be it passenger or crew infections, refusal of local authorities to allow a ship to dock etc etc.

I am not implying it will be Viking, I suspect they are better prepared than most, but an issue for one will become an issue for all.

• Like 2

Probably the right call by the UK authorities.  We have gone into lockdown again in Manila and the new Covid case numbers are very high.  The lockdown here will need to be extended to at least the end of April if it is to have any effect on breaking the cycle and allowing breathing spaces for our overburdened hospitals.   Unlike the UK, the vaccination program is in its early stages.    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2021 at 4:26 PM, Haworth said:

Given the large number of ships of various operators and sizes selling UK cruises, I suspect problems are inevitable, sadly, be it passenger or crew infections, refusal of local authorities to allow a ship to dock etc etc.

I am not implying it will be Viking, I suspect they are better prepared than most, but an issue for one will become an issue for all.

Good morning! We too were on Viking Sky's "exciting" Northern Lights cruise. I read that you will be on Viking Venus in May. We are scheduled for the same itinerary on June 19. Please let us know how you ex[erience this. Thanks, Kitty

20 minutes ago, kittycrews said:

Good morning! We too were on Viking Sky's "exciting" Northern Lights cruise. I read that you will be on Viking Venus in May. We are scheduled for the same itinerary on June 19. Please let us know how you ex[erience this. Thanks, Kitty

Morning to you, we decided against any of the UK cruises, so no report from me, I hope you enjoy yours and will be very interested in your experience and thoughts