Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

27 minutes ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Did your AA flight from Charlotte get changed also? I'm now on the 11:00 departure, getting in later. Do you have Exer Urgent care in your area? Its what I'm going to use in LA for my test. Exer does the PCR, 24 TO 48 hours results, open 7 days a week. 

We are on that 11:00 AA CLT-BDA flight - have been for awhile.   We don't have Exer Urgent.  We'll likely just go to SFO early by a several days and do it there.

CHARLOTTE, NC (CLT)BERMUDA, BERMUDA (BDA)

AMERICAN AIRLINES
AA 2044

Jun 29, 2021
11:00 AM - 2:38 PM (2h 38m)

Economy

Seat: 24D

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Still traveling said:

Good Grief !! ONE HOUR with my engineer husband trying to do VeriFly No Luck/ Could not do it.

Who sent you down the VeriFly rabbit hole?   Bermuda isn't one of the destinations it works with.  Here's the link from AA's site.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/More-Access-More-Ease-American-Airlines-Expands-its-Acceptance-of-VeriFLY-App-at-All-Airports-OPS-DIS-02/default.aspx

6 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Who sent you down the VeriFly rabbit hole?   Bermuda isn't one of the destinations it works with.  Here's the link from AA's site.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/More-Access-More-Ease-American-Airlines-Expands-its-Acceptance-of-VeriFLY-App-at-All-Airports-OPS-DIS-02/default.aspx

Viking sent us down that rabbit hole and told us that is what Viking is having every passenger use.  I just downloaded it so haven't used it yet.   They said that is what you have to use to send your proof of vaccinations to them.   Although I was planning to get a 2nd opinion tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

My TA was told by the Viking agent that Verifly is the app Viking will use for download our vaccination proof & photo.

2 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Viking sent us down that rabbit hole and told us that is what Viking is having every passenger use.  I just downloaded it so haven't used it yet.   They said that is what you have to use to send your proof of vaccinations to them.   Although I was planning to get a 2nd opinion tomorrow.

For those of us cruising in July we're wearing ourselves out prematurely.  There will be two or more sailings ahead of ours and plenty of feedback we can learn from.  Viking will learn from those sailings too which will potentially alter what we're being told today. 

All we can do now is plan our testing.  Viking specific health stuff isn't due until within 5-7 days of our sailing so worrying about it this far out isn't going to benefit us.

June 15th people, you're the advance team.  Share what you learn and God Speed. 😉 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, B_A_H said:

There's nothing to say it can't go to 3 or 4 days in the future.  It was 5 when I booked then went to 3 then to 4 and is now back to 5.  All from official sources at the time. 

Like many here I've had a half dozen trips I booked canceled.  Out of all the non-U.S. port cruises announced booking one of Viking's Bermuda sailing struck me as the best chance to actually go somewhere.  Never once did I think it was going to be easy breezy. I'm as frustrated as the rest of you with the changing policies and unknowns but I can't say they were unexpected.  

Quite a few of you are heavy repeat Viking cruisers (I'm a virgin).  I think you placed too much trust in their ability to control the uncontrollable.  They like us are flying by the seat of their pants reacting to what's presented in the moment.  

For those stressing ask yourselves this - is it worth it?  Being trailblazers (first Americans at sea) comes with risks.  Risk of not getting tested in time, risk of not getting a Bermuda Travel Authorization in time, risk of a Covid situation on the ship, risk of testing positive after you've arrived in Bermuda, et. al.  Those risks have always been there and aren't going away.  If having those risks over your head is going to ruin your vacation perhaps you should sit the first round out and book further in to the future. 

I still think the stress is it worth it and that the vast majority of us are going to be able to jump through the flaming hoops.  Seeing the ship in Hamilton with its flags out just added hope and encouragement for me.

Deep breaths. 😉 

It will be worth it!

• Like 1

Someone said I was smart flying in early....  We fly into Bermuda on Saturday.  This assumes Viking will provide the “day 4” test that Bermuda requires on day two of the cruise (arrival on Bermuda is “day 0”), and report the results to Bermuda.  I could not get a straight answer from Viking if they will do this, or let us go ashore to the appointment Bermuda provides.  

This whole day 4 test thing is a big potential fly in the ointment.  If Viking won’t do it early for us or screws up, we could get jail time in Bermuda or a big fine.  I will call Viking again tomorrow.  But being Saturday I don’t expect much.  I guess I can tell the Bahamian authorities that Viking held us hostage on the ship and wouldn’t let us go to our test appointment..   

Since Viking says all pax must take the Bermuda airport covid test, I assume all these pax will be given appointments at the airport for the approved clinic in Hamilton to get their day 4 test.  What happens when you don’t show up?  Has Viking worked this out fully with Bermuda?  I have not seen anything specifically about the day 4 and day 8 tests in any Viking communications.  But the May 11 note says this: “During Your Cruise: You will be tested periodically, on board the ship, as required by Viking and in coordination with the Government of Bermuda.”  So this seems to indicate Viking will do the day 4 test.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Just got a notice from American Airlines for the entry requirements to Bermuda for our flight in one week.  They are wrong.  If you follow the guidelines you will not make it into Bermuda.  AA is showing the 5 day test requirement, even though our flight is after June 6th.  And they have the timing for the TA wrong also.

I bet that causes a few more people to miss their cruise....

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1

Every start-up cruise is going through a version of the same thing we are.  Things aren't normal and they (and we) should have known that.  

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8vh0uYnYrI

Once we're in Viking's hands I'm really not concerned.  They and Bermuda will have worked out the mid-stay testing and Viking's already said they'll provide us with test results to re-enter the U.S.

The three hoops we need to jump though to get onboard the ship are:

1. The airline

Bermuda isn't a popular destination (EG: Mexico) and airline personnel aren't going to be familiar with the entry requirements.  They'll look it up in their respective systems.  I'm sure "need Bermuda Travel Authorization" will be the headline.  If we have one we should be good to go.  If the policy in the airline's system is outdated point the airline employee to where the newest requirements are located. There may be some haggling and even a supervisor involved but with a Travel Authorization in-hand the airline won't deny you boarding. Assuming I have a Travel Authorization this hoop doesn't concern me.

2. Bermuda

We've beaten up "how many days before" and "PCR vs. others" pretty good.  Assuming we all get test results uploaded for the Bermudian government and get a Travel Authorization this hurdle will be cleared.  I believe the Bermudian government will rely on Viking to meet any of their requirements once we're on the island. 

3. Viking

We = revenue.  Viking needs revenue.  They also need these "Welcome Back" cruises to be successful so they can point to them in the future to convince more people to get back on their ships.  They want us to sail.  I believe that as we get closer to the 5-7 day window to get Viking our health and travel information their requirements will become clearer. The process should also get smoother once they have a few cruises under their belt. Until the first sailing is complete everything we and they are discussing is hypothetical.

I also believe that what we send them in that window will be heavily scrutinized and that they'll work with anyone whose information isn't up to par to make it so. As I said before, once we're in their hands, I'm not  concerned.  They aren't going to flub something and leave 450 people stranded on the ship or unable to leave Bermuda.  If not for our comfort simply to protect current and future revenue.

Yes, this is complicated.  Yes, each "hoop" presents risk.  But I still feel the vast majority of us will be fine.  I do also think there will be unforeseen complications that may affect some people (EG: test not back in time, Travel Authorization delayed, airline issues) but that's the price we and others on all these start-up cruises need to pay to be trailblazers.  For those that didn't expect this you may have been a tad naïve.  Same applies to those that thought Viking had a magic wand to make it go all go away. 

There's no shame in pulling the ripcord and cancelling for those that find the anxiety created by all of this unnerving.  Not everyone's cut out to be a trailblazer. For those sticking it out, think of the stories we'll have to tell when we get back,  ;)

• Like 5

We are worried about meeting Bermuda's requirements (PCR test and Bermuda Travel Authorization) all done within three days of trip - you cannot do the test until! Saturday, July 3 and it is a ho!iday weekend- July 4th in the U.S. Viking sent us to an online testing company but they only do travel on Thurs.- Mon.   Any advice?

Mary

12 hours ago, B_A_H said:

To answer your question "who sent us down that rabbit hole" it was an email we received last night from Viking telling us we must follow their direction and fill out the form .

Oh, what a mess. we still can't do it.

When's your sailing?

When you mentioned VerfiFly I thought you were using it to fly AA.  They've used the app for a while and it's known to be trash.  Here's its rating on the Google Play store.  You aren't alone in having problems with it. 

image.thumb.png.34e11f3ccd09383f7daa63bd1f15988f.png

It's kind of surprising Viking's using it with its history.  At least on AA it's optional.  Hopefully Viking will come up with a "Plan B" because with all the moving parts of getting everyone to Bermuda and on the ship they certainly don't need to add unnecessary complications.  

18 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

When's your sailing?

When you mentioned VerfiFly I thought you were using it to fly AA.  They've used the app for a while and it's known to be trash.  Here's its rating on the Google Play store.  You aren't alone in having problems with it. 

image.thumb.png.34e11f3ccd09383f7daa63bd1f15988f.png

It's kind of surprising Viking's using it with its history.  At least on AA it's optional.  Hopefully Viking will come up with a "Plan B" because with all the moving parts of getting everyone to Bermuda and on the ship they certainly don't need to add unnecessary complications.  

We're on the June 15 sailing and had no trouble, at all, with the Verifly app. We thought Vikings instructions were outstanding. It took a lot longer than we thought to get the confirmation email, only because it was in my SPAM box. Glad I looked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

We're on the June 15 sailing and had no trouble, at all, with the Verifly app. We thought Vikings instructions were outstanding. It took a lot longer than we thought to get the confirmation email, only because it was in my SPAM box. Glad I looked.

Well that is good news.  We will be trying to do it today.

As for people getting emails from Viking on Verifly, we still have never gotten any email from Viking.  I only found out about it when I did a chat with Viking yesterday, asking how and when we are supposed to get our vaccination info to Viking.  Of course she said you should have gotten an email over a week ago.  And travel agent didn't get it either.  So obviously some slip ups.  Wondering how many on our cruise will not make it due to all the detailed stuff we have to wade our way through - and they have no idea.  Thanks to those of us on CruiseCritic, at least we become aware of things.

10 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Would you be willing to post the information from Viking, or a link to it if possible?

11 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Would you be willing to post the information from Viking, or a link to it if possible?

If you didn't get an email from Viking, including instructions, it's probably not time for cruises subsequent to the June 15 departure to fill out the info. I don't mind to post the instructions but, will it make things better or clog up the process? If you're on the June 15 cruise and didn't get the email with instructions, that would be an issue that needs to be dealt with now. BTW, this was not a generic email. It was addressed specially by name, Voyage date, booking number etc.

Edited by MRGACRUZR
Additional information

9 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

...will it make things better or clog up the process?

Point well taken. However, I have downloaded the Verifly app and the UI is opaque. There is no obvious mechanism to create a trip, add flights, countries, cruises, etc. In short, I don't mind you pioneers hammering this all out yourselves, but I (for one) would like to know what is going on.

Full disclosure, I am a retired software worker who is generally critical of software usability and functionality.

6 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Point well taken. However, I have downloaded the Verifly app and the UI is opaque. There is no obvious mechanism to create a trip, add flights, countries, cruises, etc. In short, I don't mind you pioneers hammering this all out yourselves, but I (for one) would like to know what is going on.

Full disclosure, I am a retired software worker who is generally critical of software usability and functionality.

My biggest concern is if this company is as "thin" as everyone makes it out to be, will all of the subsequent cruisers filling out the info and putting their vaccine records through the manual process of verification, cause delays for the next cruise to go? 

04JUN2021

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for booking your upcoming journey with Viking. As we prepare to welcome you on board, we want to advise you of a new component to the Viking Health & Safety Program.

As you know, all guests must be vaccinated prior to boarding our ships. As such, we will need to verify your COVID-19 vaccination status. To expedite the embarkation process, Viking has partnered with Daon Inc., an independent third-party vendor, to digitally pre-verify your vaccination status through their VeriFLY app.

Please note, some airlines are also using the VeriFLY app. The verification process is separate for each travel carrier. If you have completed the VeriFLY process for your airline, you will need to create a VeriFLY pass for Viking as well.

At least seven days prior to your departure, please follow the steps below to complete your vaccination verification through VeriFLY for your Viking voyage.

Step 1

Install the Free VeriFLY App

http://docs.vikingcruises.com/envogram/veriFly-logo.jpg

If you already have the VeriFLY app and an account, skip to Step 5. Direct links for Apple iOS and Android app stores are below.

iOS

Google Play

Step 2

Create Your VeriFLY Account

Once you have downloaded the app, tap "Get Started." Select "I Agree" to accept the VeriFLY Terms & Conditions. Enter your first and last name as they appear on your passport and input your email address.

Step 3

Finalize Your Account Creation

Confirm your email address is correct by clicking "Confirm Email." You will be prompted to take a passport-style profile photo. Once submitted, a message will be sent to your confirmed email address verifying that your account has been created. From your email, select “Validate Your Account.” In the VeriFLY app you will see “Onboarding Complete.”

(Please check your spam folder if you do not see the email in your inbox.)

Step 4

Create a Viking Pass

In the VeriFLY app, go to "My Passes." Select "Browse" in the bottom, right corner and, on the next screen, type "Viking" to search for the pass.

Select "A Trip with Viking" and tap on "Add Pass" in the top right corner of the screen. The pass should now be available in "My Passes."

Step 5

Add Your Trip

In "My Passes", select the Viking pass and choose "Add Trip" to enter your trip details.

Review and agree to the Health Privacy Policy, Health Data Consent and Transfer Consent by tapping each toggle button. Tap “Continue” to proceed. (You will need to agree to all three sections to ensure Viking receives your status and allow VeriFLY to validate your vaccination record.)

Next, enter your trip details and personal information. Note: Your booking number and embarkation date are at the top of this message.

Step 6

Input Vaccination Details

Tap "Manage Checklist" and select "Step 1: COVID-19 Vaccination Review" to submit your vaccination documentation. Complete the checklist by confirming your vaccination and entering your vaccination details (vaccine type, date of final vaccination).

To submit your vaccination card or medical record with proof of vaccine, you can upload your documentation as a PDF, scan, or take a photo of your card in the app.

Step 7

Submit Details

Upon successful submission of your COVID-19 Vaccination Review, you will see a "Success!" screen. To see your verification status, select "Back," and press the three dots next to COVID-19 Vaccination Review. Your status will show "Pending." There is nothing further to complete at this time.

You will receive confirmation, within the app and via email from VeriFLY (within 24 hours), that your vaccination verification is complete.

Step 8

Add a Travel Companion

If applicable, add a travel companion by returning to "My Passes." Select the Viking pass and go to "Manage Trip." Select "Add Companion." In addition to uploading their vaccination card or proof of vaccine, you will be asked to add their photo. You will need to agree that you are authorized to share your companion's personal information.

If preferred, your travel companion can set up their own VeriFLY account.

Step 9

Verification Approval

Once VeriFLY has verified your vaccination status, you will receive a notification with your final VeriFLY pass. (Please allow 24 hours.) If VeriFLY encounters any issues verifying your vaccination record, VeriFLY will contact you directly.

VeriFLY will provide Viking with confirmation of your vaccination approval, which will be transferred to your booking record so you can quickly embark on the day of your cruise.

VeriFLY will provide Viking with confirmation of your vaccination status, which will be transferred to your booking record so you can quickly embark on the day of your cruise. While your VeriFLY pass will expedite your Viking embarkation, you may need to present proof of vaccination at other points during your trip. Please ensure you carry your original vaccination documentation while traveling.

If you have any questions regarding the VeriFLY process, please contact VeriFLY Customer Support at (833) 586-1605 or support@myverifly.com. Many questions may be answered at VeriFLY’s online Help Center, viewable here or accessible from within the app. Additional tips have been included below.

Please note, in addition to verifying your vaccination status through VeriFLY as outlined above, ten days prior to your embarkation you will be asked to complete a pre-boarding health survey. You will be notified by a separate email when the health survey becomes available and directed to myvikingjourney.com for completion.

We thank you for your cooperation and wish you a wonderful journey.

Sincerely,

Viking

VeriFLY Troubleshooting Tips:

• To access the VeriFLY Help Center from within the app, tap on your picture in the top right corner and scroll to the “Contact Us" section at to the bottom of the page.
  • To change your name, tap your profile picture, select "Profile," then "User Name."
  • If you make an error in your travel or vaccine details, you cannot edit once submitted. You will need to delete the pass and start over. To delete the pass, navigate to "My Passes," select the pass you want to delete. Then, tap the three dots in the top right corner of your screen and tap "Remove Pass."
  • To remove a companion, go to "My Passes," select the trip you want to correct. Tap "View Pass" and swipe left until you find the companion you want to remove. Tap "Complete Checklist to Activate." Tap the three dots in the top right corner of your screen and tap "Remove Companion."

13 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

My biggest concern is if this company is as "thin" as everyone makes it out to be, will all of the subsequent cruisers filling out the info and putting their vaccine records through the manual process of verification, cause delays for the next cruise to go? 

Thanks for sharing. The key is figuring out how to get the "Pass" started (Step 4). The rest flows rather naturally. And your concern about overloading Viking staff is appropriate, but I found I couldn't enter the vaccination info until 19 June for our 20 July boarding:

Screenshot 2021-06-05 at 9.13.46 AM.png

1 hour ago, MRGACRUZR said:

We are on the June 15 sailing and just received and completed the VeriFLY info yesterday. How long did it take to receive your confirmation (just so I know when to start panicking)? We’re going to CVS on Friday for our test. They said they have not had any tests take more than 1-2 days (fingers crossed). I couldn’t find anyplace overnight without driving 2 hours.