UK only cruise travel insurance

Stu UK

Cover for cruises in UK waters for UK people. This is a minefield once you get into the policy wording. Many cover medical treatment abroad but specifically exclude treatment and repatriation in UK, you have to read the small print in the actual policy not the headlines.  They assume UK means on land and don’t necessarily cover travellers needs in UK waters. 

Cover for You have updated their information for UK only cruises. First company I have seen who have done this.

This is not a recommendation merely pointing out the detail you need to clarify with your own insurers. 

Link below, need to scan down to the Covid questions. 

https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php#am-i-covered-for-a-cruise

Edited by Stu UK
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Bank's are starting to update their insurance to cover cover cruises for UK guests this year.

I have an RBS Platinum account which is underwritten by UK Insurance Ltd.  I think NatWest have the same cover.

If you want a downloadable letter, log into your account, click on the travel insurance " use benefit".  

This opens an important information page re: Covid.   There is a "confirmation of cover" box which shows details of the Insured people/account holder and cover.

Then click to download "confirmation of cover document" just above that.  This doc sets out the cover personalised to you with the important paragraphs below:

UK Cruise

As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic some UK cruise providers now require travel insurance to provide at least £2,000,000 of cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs. In response to this change we are extending our limit for UK cruises departing in 2021.

This policy will provide cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs up to £10,000,000 when you are travelling on a UK cruise that departs in 2021. The cruise duration must be for a minimum of 2 nights for cover to apply.

You must ensure you meet all the conditions of carriage for your cruise provider.

Hope this helps anyone with insurance within their bank accounts. 

I think Nationwide have something similar, so worth checking.

• Thanks 1

I’m so confused with all this insurance stuff! We are booked on a P&O cruise which is cruising along french coast and around Channel Islands with no port stops. When asked what is your destination what should I put? Do I need Europe cover or just Uk? 

12 hours ago, Sapphire23 said:

I’m so confused with all this insurance stuff! We are booked on a P&O cruise which is cruising along french coast and around Channel Islands with no port stops. When asked what is your destination what should I put? Do I need Europe cover or just Uk? 

Ask your insurer don’t rely on views here.  Sorry it’s a minefield and each insurer has different interpretations. So call them up and explain your exact scenario- that’s what I did and I’m glad I did as a booking I was considering would not have been covered by my policy but an alternative option was. 

Edited by uktog
  • Thanks 1