Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

3 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

No, but they can each have their own separate MVJ accounts and should each be able to log in at the same time.

That's what we tried, but it didn't work. We each had our own account. Also when I was speaking to someone from Viking, they couldn't make changes to my account until I first logged out, so even they can't get in if you're in.

• Thanks 1

Just decided to skim this thread and see what is different from our Bermuda thread.  I just booked my Viking cruise a week ago and I am traveling at the end of this month, so I had a lot to accomplish in a short time. I am also taking my 85 year old mother!  Bermuda has a lot of strict Covid requirements that  require constant testing and online entry. Those of you not traveling until August should have patience--it will all come together. 

I am actually going to Iceland for Thanksgiving on a land tour--this will be my third time in the country.  I am fascinated that it is so wild and natural.  Do not miss the waterfalls and geysers-- and perhaps a swim in the Blue lagoon.  The sheepskin rugs are fabulous.  Have a wonderful cruise!

ég elska ísland
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Just decided to skim this thread and see what is different from our Bermuda thread.  I just booked my Viking cruise a week ago and I am traveling at the end of this month, so I had a lot to accomplish in a short time. I am also taking my 85 year old mother!  Bermuda has a lot of strict Covid requirements that  require constant testing and online entry. Those of you not traveling until August should have patience--it will all come together. 

I am actually going to Iceland for Thanksgiving on a land tour--this will be my third time in the country.  I am fascinated that it is so wild and natural.  Do not miss the waterfalls and geysers-- and perhaps a swim in the Blue lagoon.  The sheepskin rugs are fabulous.  Have a wonderful cruise!

ég elska ísland

Þakka þér fyrir!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

No, but they can each have their own separate MVJ accounts and should each be able to log in at the same time.

6 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

That's what we tried, but it didn't work. We each had our own account. Also when I was speaking to someone from Viking, they couldn't make changes to my account until I first logged out, so even they can't get in if you're in.

I may have accidentally mislead some a few days ago when I reported that Mike and I had been able to both log in to our individual MCJ accounts to book our excursions.  Another CruiseCritic emailed as they had been unable to do so to ask how we did it.

We tried and were unable to both log at the same time. I then realized that He had been logged in as his Mom so that the three of us traveling together could be assured of having the same excursion times. We have the same booking number, I wonder if it’s possible for two people sharing a cabin to have different booking numbers?  If so then perhaps they both could log in at the same time?

I apologize if my post (wherever it was-too many threads! 🤪) led to confusion on this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are a party of 4. My wife and I cannot log in at the same time. However, our friends who are not related, have the same booking number since they're sharing a cabin can both log in at the same time. At least that was possible a few weeks back when we were all together. One of them can book for both of them. So something in the system may be flagged to link my wife and I as a couple since we joined our charge accounts but keeps our friends separate since they have separate charge accounts? I'm only guessing at this point but that is what seems  plausible  in my mind.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

We are a party of 4. My wife and I cannot log in at the same time. However, our friends who are not related, have the same booking number since they're sharing a cabin can both log in at the same time. At least that was possible a few weeks back when we were all together. One of them can book for both of them. So something in the system may be flagged to link my wife and I as a couple since we joined our charge accounts but keeps our friends separate since they have separate charge accounts? I'm only guessing at this point but that is what seems  plausible  in my mind.

My husband and I tried logging on at the same time too and he was locked out. 

15 hours ago, id4elizabeth said:

Embarkation details

I talked to tellus@Viking on a different matter and she told me the following as best as I could jot down the info:

Official embarkation does not start until 11:00am.  They MIGHT let you onto one of the outside decks before that but you will not be able to leave that area (to make spa arrangements etc) until 11:00.

Once you set foot on the ship you are in the Viking bubble and cannot get off.

You cannot go to your room until 3:00

Some kind of "program" will start around 5:00 giving you info about the rest of the cruise so you do not want to be there later than that (unclear whether this was an in-person program or televised).

On disembarking, you have to vacate room between 8:30 and 9:00.  She didn't know whether we could hang out in some public areas on the ship or not after that.

Anyway, that's what I was told for what that's worth

In the document we received from Viking entitled RestartPreCruuseRequirement-Iceland-US under Embarkation Procedure (Iceland) it says:. Upon arrival you will be required to take a Covid 19 test administered by the Icelandic Government.  This test will be in addition to the Embarkation  test required by Viking.  Special Note:. The ship is designated as an Iceland quarantine area for Viking guests.  You will be transfered to your ship as you await confirmation of a negative COVID 19 PCR test result.  You will then proceed to your stateroom where you will be required to provide a saliva sample.  While waiting for your test results, you will be able to use the public spaces on board observing current mask and social distancing requirements.

This document was as of May 24.  Of course it is not going to give us any timing for stateroom access although the 3 pm access given by tellus is the normal time for V cabins.  It appears that we will not do the Viking PCR test until we gain access to our cabin.  And if the Iceland test is discontinued, then what?  Official embarkation has always been 11 am so I am still wondering what they are going to do with us between our 6:20 am arrival, Viking transfer and 11 am.

7 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

ég elska ísland

Hi, fellow Philly girl!  Interestingly, we booked the Bermuda for June with 10 of our friends, and finally cried Uncle when the hoops were just too narrow to jump through to enjoy preparing for our Viking Bermuda Cruise.  So we are all going to Iceland, which I have visited several times in winter.  Such a fabulous and friendly country.  Have a wonderful time with your mom. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

And I was among the mislead. Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up -- and I hope all goes for well those booking this morning.

Good Day,  Please... What cruise date started booking excursions today? I thought we would be (August 24, PV) but not able to.

1 minute ago, C-sea said:

Good Day,  Please... What cruise date started booking excursions today? I thought we would be (August 24, PV) but not able to.

I don't know all the dates that can book today, but I do know that MVJ doesn’t open for booking until 9 am PDT— so not for another hour or so.

2 minutes ago, C-sea said:

I believe it was July 31 only.  The next one in line.  Seems they learned from the last fiasco.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

And if the Iceland test is discontinued, then what? 

For one thing, it means that we can book some sort of tour that will pick us up at the airport and drop us at the ship later in the day.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

It appears that we will not do the Viking PCR test until we gain access to our cabin. 

Yes, that is the bit of info that seems most confusing to me. The document hints that we will board the ship and go immediately to our cabins. But if the cabins won't be ready for hours after we board, how do we time breakfast and lunch? There are people who need to eat regularly and others who need to eat before taking pills.  The housekeeping can't go any faster than they are already going. The planes can't change schedule to accommodate the ship's needs.

I guess we will just have to remember that we are the beta testers for the new protocols. It is all unknown territory. DH and I are on the second cruise; the Iceland first cruise that will be boarding a previously occupied ship. I expect that nothing will go as planned that day  -- and I will just have to keep reminding myself that this is what I signed on for.

1 minute ago, C-sea said:

July 31 is booking today. It will be first come, first served regardless of cabin category.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

And I was among the mislead. Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up -- and I hope all goes for well those booking this morning.

Only one person including Viking may view your My Viking Journey at the same time

More than once when speaking to Viking I have asked them to view my account, their first response is asking if I'm logged out.

• Like 1

“Thedocument hints that we will board the ship and go immediately to our cabins. But if the cabins won't be ready for hours after we board, how do we time breakfast and lunch? There are people who need to eat regularly and others who need to eat before taking pills.  The housekeeping can't go any faster than they are already going. The planes can't change schedule to accommodate the ship's needs.”

Im thinking that maybe as the second cruise in Iceland yours will only be 50% full.  So you could be in Cabins that weren’t used by the first cruise and go there while the used cabins are being cleaned.  But who knows?  One of the few perks of being on the first cruise is that all cabins will be clean and ready for us when we arrive!

Quite a different story than last week.  I have booked excursions for every day ( two on some) and am through at 12:14!!

Question - did anyone else get a notice when you added booking number to My Viking Journey that you were picked for the new website?  Ted's account is still on the old one.  Wondering if the new website is why it worked so well.

• Like 1

My GUESS:
Viking takes us 6AM and later arrivals directly to ship. Departing guests all confined on lower decks 1-3 as usual assembling to leave. Cabins being cleaned per usual.
New arrivals all on Deck 7: Aquavit, World Cafe, Pool, Wintergarden, Explorer waiting for cabin cleaning. Eating at World Cafe, Pool Grill etc.
Maybe by 11AM to noon as disembarkers have all left they open up the normally closed for lunch restaurant for a special lunch, or not.

Edited by philw1776
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, pawleys said:

Quite a different story than last week.  I have booked excursions for every day ( two on some) and am through at 12:14!!

Question - did anyone else get a notice when you added booking number to My Viking Journey that you were picked for the new website?  Ted's account is still on the old one.  Wondering if the new website is why it worked so well.

Second.  The booking process couldn't have been easier.  No glitch, no freeze.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pawleys said:

Question - did anyone else get a notice when you added booking number to My Viking Journey that you were picked for the new website? 

WOW! Considering that they started the upgrade a year ago, I would have thought that all accounts had been upgraded at this point. Maybe if you give Viking a call and give them a nudge, you can get them to upgrade his account as well.

42 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

The booking process couldn't have been easier.  No glitch, no freeze.  

31/7 Departure Shore Excursion Update.

In the UK things went slightly different. I was able to log on to MVJ and see the excursions and times at 5:00pm (UK time).

However, i was told that online booking is currently not available and I was to ring Viking for assistance.

I got through reasonably quickly and after coming out of MVJ myself, a very helpful assistant (Geoff) was able to make all the booking I required and to take payment.

I was then able to see my Shore Excursions in the Calendar and the payment was only taken once.

However, I am very surprised by the discrepancy between the UK and US prices. The £ price was considerably greater than the $ price that was shown on the pdf of ShoreX that was published on the general thread a week or so ago.

Perhaps one of the US passengers on this cruise could tell me how much the following excursions are in $ when booked for this specific cruise ie 31st July departure. In that way when I raise the issue with Viking in London I can highlight the exact discrepancy between $ and £ for exactly the same excursion.

Day 2 - Golden Circle (£264)

Day 3 - Vigur Island (£159)

Day 4 - Northern Icelands Natural Treasures (£199) 

Day 6 - Ice Lagoon by Zodiac (£394)

Day 7 - Coastal Heimaey by RIB (£234)

From the PDF of ShoreX circulated previously the $ pricing was as follows but it would if these could be confirmed as the prices paid for this departure.

Day 2 - Golden Circle ($199)

Day 3 - Vigur Island ($119)

Day 4 - Northern Icelands Natural Treasures ($149) 

Day 6 - Ice Lagoon by Zodiac ($299)

Day 7 - Coastal Heimaey by RIB ($179)

Now my guess is that somebody in the UK has got confused when using their calculator and did the incorrect calculation for converting $ pricing into £ as the ratio for all of them is in the 1.31 to 1.34 range. Whilst the £ is a little stronger than that at the moment circa $1.4 to the £, it would not be unreasonable to use a 1.32 fx rate to convert the dollar ShoreX pricing.

If this is the case no doubt Viking will quickly agree the error and refund me the difference but before I write to them it would be good to have confirmation of the $ pricing for exactly the same excursions on the 31/7 departure.

Obviously if this is not an error and indeed Viking are charging UK customers 75% more for exactly the same excursion then there may be a very different conversation but to start with I will give Viking the benefit of the doubt and look to them to review the pricing and give a refund.