Regent air to Bali

doccide

Regent Air generally does a good job, but I'd do my own research and see what routes you can find that suit you on what airlines.  Then you can decide if it's worth adding a "deviation" so that you can have some control over that route, and then you can fly in a day or two early as well.

When I'm doing that, I'm usually looking at paying for my own flights as well, to see if I can come up with something reasonable for a good price. Regent Air can always be the alternative, if there's nothing available.  

In these uncertain times, a factor to remember is that you don't have money at risk using Regent Air (other than the cruise deposit, of course) until final payment.  So, you can cancel the cruise and associated air for a minimal penalty ($100/pp) until late in the game rather than ending up with a large credit with an airline.

We always use either Regent Air or book with miles (after researching the trade-offs as Wendy suggested) to keep maximum flexibility.

Edited by Portolan
  • Like 1

Not quite the same, but on our back to back cruises, December 2019 to January 2020, Regent flew us in business class on Emirates from Fort Lauderdale to Singapore, with a flight change in Dubai, and from Sydney to Fort Lauderdale, with a flight change in Dubai, on Emirates, on the way home. While these were long flights, our seats were amazing. The business class lounge in Dubai, was amazing, with boarding straight from there to the plane. Food, beverages, and service were amazing. And they don't wake you when you're asleep. The flights were very long, but the comfort made it doable.

We had previously been booked by Regent on American from Miami to Barcelona. This was our first business class flight, and since it was a transatlantic flight, we had access to the Admiral's Club. We had no idea that something like this existed. We had great seats, and after a wonderful meal, slept all the way to Barcelona. On the way back from Venice, Regent booked us on Iberia from Venice to Madrid, and from Madrid to Miami. There was no business class on the first leg, but they gave us all 3 seats on the port side of the plane in the second row (no one was in the first row). In Madrid, it was a long trek to our Miami connection and we boarded within minutes of arriving at the gate. We had comfortable seats together that reclined well, and after a great meal, with wonderful wine, we slept back to MIA. We had already booked an overnight at the MIA hotel rather than driving 3 hours home.

We've been very happy with the Regent business class flights that we've been offered, and taken, but we do pay for the deviation since we don't want to wait until the last minute to have a flight assigned, and we want some input on how we get there (flying through Atlanta is something we never want to do, especially since they book from FLL to ATL rather than our local airport). The cost of the deviation compared to the total cost of the cruise is trivial.

We were supposed to cruise from Bali to Hong Kong in February 2020 when Covid was just starting up. We got a great deal on Qatar Airways so we booked our own flights. Literally the day before we were due to leave we decided not to go because HK had already closed their port so we didn't know where we would end up and how much it might cost us to fly home.

The cruise left on schedule but they kicked everyone off in Bangkok. Had we booked through Regent Air, they would have organized our trip home. So the moral of the story is if you have any doubts about your trip not going off as planned, I would use Regent Air. BTW, Regent did reimburse the portion of our air fare which was not refunded by the airline.