New Camera and Setup - Panasonic G9

I had a Sony a6400. I had it for a year and rarely used it. It was bought when my other camera was lost/stolen. Every review and recommendation was to go the a6xxx route. Because I need a camera quickly, I got a deal on it (and recently sold it for more than I bought it for). I could not get the camera to work for the way I was use to shooting. I learned using a Canon 7D. I learned how to get out of Auto mode and strictly use Manual mode. ISO, Aperture, and Speed were all at my finger tips. I never had that with the Sony and left it in Auto mode. I tried for several weeks to make it work for me through customization, but it was a no go. The more I fiddled with it, the more I started to hate the camera. 

I spent a good long time with a camera shop. Obviously they have a bit of agenda as well, but the one I went with was very helpful. They pushed Sony, Fuji, Canon, and Nikon, but let me handle things and see what I liked. I never liked Nikon and I may not have given it a fair shake, but so be it. It came down to a Sony a7iii (~$1700 used), Fuji X-T4 (~$1,700 new), and a Panasonic G9 (~$800 used). Obviously, there were Nikon and Canon's that fit these sizes, but slowly cut them out of the decision because I liked the feel of these more. In the end, what I use a camera for and budget became the deciding factor. All three had everything where it intuitively should be for me. I went with the G9 because my I can get the 2 lenses and body for what just the body is for Sony and Fuji. I know I am sacrificing low-light performance. That can be compensated for with fast primes (Sigma 56mm f1.4 which I am buying) and the use of DXO DeepPrime for noise reduction. All of this combo should be more than enough for my needs.

What lenses did you get with the body?

The Panasonic/Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4 is the 'natural' pairing for a normal range zoom. 

For Micro Four Thirds both Olympus and Panasonic lenses are 'first party' and function nicely on the other manufacturers body [exceptions are the sync/dual image stabilization, Oly 'pro capture', Panasonic 'depth from defocus' features all require the same brand body & lens]

If you initial choice of lenses did not include a tele or one of the 'travel zoom' lenses [14-140, 14-150 or 12-200] you may want to pick up the Olympus 'plastic fantastic' 40-150R lens [frequently available refurbished for $59]

Check with Panasonic's support site to download the current manual, and firmware upgrades - the body has received several updates since its initial release. You may also want to download the free, Panasonic specific version of SilkyPix - there should be links from Panasonic support's web site.

• Like 1

Thank you for that. So far I only have one lens (coming in today). It is the Olympus 14-150mm MkII version. It was a great price. I wanted the a7iii, but cost became the driving factor. I will most likely be getting the Sigma 56mm f1.4 lens. I need a portrait lens for a friend's event this Summer and probably another just after. 

There are a few lenses I would like to eventually get which includes the PL 12-60mm f2.8. I am also looking at the Laowa 7.5mm f2 and the Olympus 100-400mm. All of these are way down the line purchases if I need them. I am getting what I need initially and will look from there at what else I may want/need. If I can get a good deal on one of the small wide primes, I will probably get one of those as well. 

Once I get my lens today, I want to get a few high ISO pics with it and test DXO's DeepPrime to see how good it really is. If it is as good as the videos, then I won't ever need FF.

The 14-150 travel zoom makes the 'plastic fantastic' redundant.

I am renting the Oly 100-400 for the 'Jones Beach Airshow' over Memorial Day weekend  I will see how that behaves on my OMD EM1.2 [and try balancing the 12-200 on the much smaller EM10.2 body]

• Like 1

I saw the release of the Olympus 100-400. I hope Panasonic does something similar down the road. Having dual IS would be nice on something of that size. 

As for the G9, all I can say is it is night and day difference for me than the Sony a6400 I had. It only took 2-3 pictures to get use to the G9. I have all the control I am use to at my right finger: Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. The adjustments are quick, can be seen easily on the display (I like the black/red bars). I know low light is the biggest issue with m43. I knew that well in advance. I watched several videos of DXO DeepPrime for noise reduction. I am not a photo editor and rarely do it, but I was amazed at how much detail was recovered/corrected with it. I know it is not the best test, but I cranked ISO to 6400, took a 1/250 shot of a movie poster in reflective glass. My picture actually looks better than the movie poster of DXO DeepPrime. I am fairly certain I will be buying that package for DeepPrime alone. It has general editing too which I may not require anything else. 

Panasonic already has a Leica branded 100-400 zoom lens, with dual IS on their bodies 

Many Olympus M1 shooters used that lens. No ‘sync’ IS, but on an Oly body you have a choice of either lens or in body IS. My understanding is with Panasonic that it’s either dual IS or off.

• Like 1