SPECIALTY DINING RESERVATIONS

smilin jack

Good thread.  A couple of observations.  Our last cruise on the Muse we had more than enough caviar.  One night in the main dining room they even served it as an appetizer, you got your own little jar.  Ms. Jones will know who this is, make friends with someone in one of the higher priced suites, and get them to have a little cocktail party.  We did, and had all the caviar we could possibly gobble served by a white gloved waiter in tails.  A bit of credit is also due SS for the quality of the champagne they serve, the primary pour is Monopole which is the second label of Piper Heidseck, which goes for around $35 a bottle in the States.

Regarding restaurants, SALT is new so no comment.  La Terraza is straight Italian, on some ships jackets aren't required, ( they are very strict about Jackets for Men in the MDR).  It is also where the breakfast and lunch buffets are served, so by function and design its more informal than the MDR for example.  A word about La Dame.  I have done La Dame on 6 different ships.  I usually do it on formal nights, a little more ritz for playing dress up.  The food is not really that much different.  You get more of it, and chances are you will see some of it, foie gras for example, on the MDR menu a couple of nights later.  But for a special occasions the service is more attentive, its more posh, and if its a one off its worth it.  La Dame might fill up so it might make sense reserve when reservations open up. La Terrazza i have found I can usually reserve that day.  No big deal.  

51 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

( they are very strict about Jackets for Men in the MDR).  

Just a brief note of clarification:  Jackets are required for men in the MDR only on nights when the dress code is formal or informal. Jackets are not required on casual nights.  They are never required at breakfast or lunch.  I have found that some maître d's are more relaxed about enforcement than others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Daytime around the ship is casual--in my experience. Casual......example as Observer states, I never see guys in jackets during the day.  Most times, depending on the weather/climate.......lets say you are in the Caribbean, it is warm down there year round. Folks are around the pool....attire is bathing suits.

If you want to go inside to have lunch, just cover up......short's/t'shirts, sundresses, capris for women...shorts, t's for guys as well.......if he feels more comfortable with a collar, a golf shirt works.

I have a cover up that looks like a water color painting.....it looks like a dress but it is my bathing suit cover up.  

So yes, breakfast and lunch are casual😃

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 11:25 AM, Observer said:

Jackets are required for men in the MDR only on nights when the dress code is formal or informal. Jackets are not required on casual nights.

You are right.  Thanks for the correction.  There are usually 1 or 2 informal nights on a 7-10 cruise.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:30 AM, chrism23 said:

...make friends with someone in one of the higher priced suites, and get them to have a little cocktail party.  We did, and had all the caviar we could possibly gobble served by a white gloved waiter in tails...

Hello - new to SS.  We have sailed Seabourn and Crystal in the past.  Going to give SS a try as things open up - we have booked a Dec 9 Spirit (for the whole family) and June 2 Alaska (to start with). 

Question - I am confused by the above statement.  I have started reading through this board and I "thought" SS was the same as Seabourn with regard to caviar service - basically anytime any where - just ask your butler.  I am missing the point above about "higher price suites".  Can someone clarify - thanks.

4 hours ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

I "thought" SS was the same as Seabourn with regard to caviar service - basically anytime any where - just ask your butler.  I am missing the point above about "higher price suites".  Can someone clarify - thanks.

You are correct.  You can ask your butler.  You can ask your server.  You can ask your bartender.  Quite frankly, you can ask whomever you please.  Caviar is available to all passengers.