Somewhat complicated FCC question

We were scheduled on one of the first cruises to be cancelled  because of covid last year.  I opted for the 125% FCC because I never thought we would still be in this situation more than a year later.  There are 5 of us in my family that received FCC's.  Because only 4 people can be on a reservation my son had a different reservation number (he was 20 at that time) but we were all booked in a 2 bedroom grand suite together. He already used his FCC to book another spring break cruise for next year.  I applied our 4 FCCs to a cruise for July 10th of this year.  It is most likely going to be cancelled at any time now.  According to my original email choosing FCC or refund I have until December 31st of this year to still get a refund rather than an FCC which is what I would like to do if this gets cancelled as I already have 2 other cruises booked but they are paid in full through club royale so I couldn't apply the FCCs to those.  My question is will this affect my son's FCC at all if I request a refund since he was a completely different reservation number?  He did receive his own email so he could opt for the FCC or refund. I don't want him to lose that as his deposit on the cruise he has booked for next year. Thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, CruisingHusker said:

We were scheduled on one of the first cruises to be cancelled  because of covid last year.  I opted for the 125% FCC because I never thought we would still be in this situation more than a year later.  There are 5 of us in my family that received FCC's.  Because only 4 people can be on a reservation my son had a different reservation number (he was 20 at that time) but we were all booked in a 2 bedroom grand suite together. He already used his FCC to book another spring break cruise for next year.  I applied our 4 FCCs to a cruise for July 10th of this year.  It is most likely going to be cancelled at any time now.  According to my original email choosing FCC or refund I have until December 31st of this year to still get a refund rather than an FCC which is what I would like to do if this gets cancelled as I already have 2 other cruises booked but they are paid in full through club royale so I couldn't apply the FCCs to those.  My question is will this affect my son's FCC at all if I request a refund since he was a completely different reservation number?  He did receive his own email so he could opt for the FCC or refund. I don't want him to lose that as his deposit on the cruise he has booked for next year. Thank you in advance!

In all liklihood if you cancel yours then his will get refunded as well.  Even though there are separate reservation numbers they are linked and treated as one reservation

58 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In all liklihood if you cancel yours then his will get refunded as well.  Even though there are separate reservation numbers they are linked and treated as one reservation

Thank you for your response.  That is what I was afraid of.  I guess I will wait and see.  I just don't want his cruise to be cancelled if the deposit disappears.

5 minutes ago, CruisingHusker said:

Thank you for your response.  That is what I was afraid of.  I guess I will wait and see.  I just don't want his cruise to be cancelled if the deposit disappears.

Make a cash payment equal to the deposit amount

Ken, as I understand it the OP only has four FCC from the 2020 cruise in a suite applied to the July cruise.  Sounds like the son has used his 2020 FCC for an entirely different cruise in 2022.  If OP asks for refund when her July cruise is cancelled shouldn't that just affect her four FCC tied to the July 2021 cruise?  Pretty sure she can't get cash at all if she cancels before Royal does since she has already used her FCC.

8 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Ken, as I understand it the OP only has four FCC from the 2020 cruise in a suite applied to the July cruise.  Sounds like the son has used his 2020 FCC for an entirely different cruise in 2022.  If OP asks for refund when her July cruise is cancelled shouldn't that just affect her four FCC tied to the July 2021 cruise?  Pretty sure she can't get cash at all if she cancels before Royal does since she has already used her FCC.

Unfortunately not.  Even though the FCC's are issued separately they are still tied to the same reservation and if one requests a refund then they all must abide by that decision.  This applies even if some of the FCC's have been redeemed.  they always take everything back to the original booking.

That being said, what I have stated is how it is supposed to work.  What happens in reality is another matter but not something I would risk if the other FCC is covering a deposit

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Worst case is the FCC sticks and you owe less at final but at least there is no risk.

True.  But, my son is paying for this cruise on his own so I will make him pay me back if the refund doesn't happen.  Adulting is hard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Once your July cruise gets cancelled, call in and tell them what you’d like to do.  Then see if they will accommodate.  It never hurts to ask for an exception. If it were me, I’d see if you can get the money you’ve already paid on the other cruises refunded.  If not, ask that your son keep the 25% portion of the FCC, even if he gets the 100% refund, since he booked his cruise in good faith. 

• Like 1