MS Roald Amundsen Antarctic Oct 23 2021

adirondacksailor

Since there is no Hurtigruten roll call section, thought I’d ask here if anyone is booked on the Oct 23 2021 cruise from Valparaiso, Chile? 

As this is a bucket list trip of mine that husband has no interest in, last month’s no single supplement offer got me to reserve a cabin just in case it is a go! 

Paige

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2021 at 12:29 PM, adirondacksailor said:

Since there is no Hurtigruten roll call section, thought I’d ask here if anyone is booked on the Oct 23 2021 cruise from Valparaiso, Chile? 

As this is a bucket list trip of mine that husband has no interest in, last month’s no single supplement offer got me to reserve a cabin just in case it is a go! 

Paige

My father brother and I are going on this cruise.  

• Like 2

I hate to be the bringer of, potentially, bad news because we are supposed to be on Roald Amundsen's sister ship, the Fridtjof Nansen, on October 26th from Lima and it looks highly unlikely that our ship will sail this cruise.

Below I have pasted the information that is on the Hurtigruten web site regarding cancelled cruises which shows that the cruise before ours is cancelled as is the one before yours. The dates are given in the European style….day, month, year.

We are preparing ourselves for the cancellation which will be a huge disappointment as we are supposed to be doing a pre-cruise tour to Ecuador and the Galápagos Islands. Also, this will be the third time this trip has been cancelled…..2019 we should have sailed a similar itinerary on Roald Amundsen but it was cancelled 5 days before we should have boarded because the ship had to go into dry dock for some major engine repairs and, of course, last year's was a COVID cancellation.

We are hoping to be able to transfer to 2022 as it is a trip we really want to do!

Cancelled cruises 

June 2021
July 2021
August 2021
September 2021
October 2021
  • 01.10.2021 | Panama and Peru – Through the Panama Canal and Along the Andean Coast | MS Fram
  • 05.10.2021 | Caribbean Sea – Hidden Highlights and sailing through the Panama Canal (Itinerary 2) | MS Fridtjof Nansen
  • 09.10.2021 | Andean Coast – Expedition from Jungle to Desert (Itinerary 1) | MS Roald Amundsen
  • 19.10.2021 | Andean Coast – Expedition from Jungle to Desert (Itinerary 2) | MS Fridtjof Nansen

Received 8 hours ago from Hurtigruten regarding my question of the Oct 9, 2021 MS Roald Amundsen Andean Coast cancellation.

"We are very hopeful, and hearing good things from Chile.  The repositioning cruises which bring the ships into the area for the Antarctica season were cancelled to minimize exposure on the way down (and prevent them from being tied up in any one port if there were issues) in order to ensure the Antarctica season could proceed.  We will certainly keep you posted, but at this time we do expect a full season and sailings as scheduled."

• Like 1

I didn’t get any email from Hurtigruten. Glad to see it! When I saw all of the cancelled cruises prior to ours, but not ours, I hoped the company was just trying to get her to Chile unscathed. Fingers crossed that it works! Guess it depends on Chile getting covid under control so that we are allowed in. Chile’s covid cases going in right direction for now…

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Using the sea-distance.org,  it looks like at 10 knots, it takes 31 days to go from Norway to Valparaiso thru the canal, ( 39 days thru Strait of Magellan). Do they pay the canal fees or take the longer way down the other coast? Then extra days to provision the ship and all.  Trying to figure out watching marinetracker to see when Roald Amnudson  departs Norway.

Reason, we are on a Silversea Antartica sailing in mid November, and it looks like the Amundson  is the one to watch if/when it leaves... The others with later sailings will follow.

If I see any movement, I'll post here.

7 hours ago, kimanjo said:

Using the sea-distance.org,  it looks like at 10 knots, it takes 31 days to go from Norway to Valparaiso thru the canal, ( 39 days thru Strait of Magellan). Do they pay the canal fees or take the longer way down the other coast? Then extra days to provision the ship and all.  Trying to figure out watching marinetracker to see when Roald Amnudson  departs Norway.

Reason, we are on a Silversea Antartica sailing in mid November, and it looks like the Amundson  is the one to watch if/when it leaves... The others with later sailings will follow.

If I see any movement, I'll post here.

I’m watching for Roald Amundsen departure, too. Looks like she needs to get going by mid September. Fingers crossed!

Through www.vesselfinder.com, I'm watching the MS Roald Amundsen, MS Fram and the MS Fridtjof Nansen.  The MS Fram is the one to watch, as it would be first to sail and must leave Norway by Sept 15 (cruising speed of 13 knots) for it's expedition cruise on Oct 15, a week before our sailing on the RM.  The RM's cruising speed is 15 knots.  The FN's first expedition cruise is Nov 2nd.

21 minutes ago, pickwright said:

Through www.vesselfinder.com, I'm watching the MS Roald Amundsen, MS Fram and the MS Fridtjof Nansen.  The MS Fram is the one to watch, as it would be first to sail and must leave Norway by Sept 15 (cruising speed of 13 knots) for it's expedition cruise on Oct 15, a week before our sailing on the RM.  The RM's cruising speed is 15 knots.  The FN's first expedition cruise is Nov 2nd.

I've never been this interested in marine traffic before!  I have to believe the cruislines are in contact with Chile, and would not spend all those resources getting to South America without believing they'd be allowed in?  No?

We'll know in the next few weeks.

The below was PUBLISHED AUG 24, 2021 5:48 PM BY THE MARITIME EXECUTIVE

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/hurtigruten-resumes-expedition-cruise-operations-after-13-months

Hurtigruten Resumes Expedition Cruise Operations After 13 Months 

"....Under the restart plan, in October and November 2021 Hurtigruten will resume Antarctica expeditions and in January 2022 introduce cruises to the Galapagos Islands....."

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, pickwright said:

Oh, I don’t think our cruise will be a go.😢 This seems to be the best Chile could come up with. Doubt Hurtigruten can hang on to their cruise schedule much longer in hopes of further easing of restrictions. They have no ship scheduled to go directly round trip Puntas Arenas-Antarctica as some smaller outfits do. Think that’s the only itinerary that fits this easing of restrictions as no port stops in Patagonia, Falklands, (looks like anywhere but Antarctic really) are currently allowed as of now due to Chile and Argentina covid rules. 

I imagine Hurtigruten is doing a lot of mulling things over today! 

1 hour ago, adirondacksailor said:

Oh, I don’t think our cruise will be a go.😢 This seems to be the best Chile could come up with. Doubt Hurtigruten can hang on to their cruise schedule much longer in hopes of further easing of restrictions. They have no ship scheduled to go directly round trip Puntas Arenas-Antarctica as some smaller outfits do. Think that’s the only itinerary that fits this easing of restrictions as no port stops in Patagonia, Falklands, (looks like anywhere but Antarctic really) are currently allowed as of now due to Chile and Argentina covid rules. 

The only 2021 Hurtigruten itinerary to qualify would be the round trip PA-Antarctica-Falklands sailing November 8 (or 24th) on the MS Roald Amundsen.  

Edited by pickwright

On 9/4/2021 at 10:14 AM, adirondacksailor said:

Argentina says Yes..

https://en.mercopress.com/2021/08/26/celebration-in-ushuaia-cruise-season-authorized-to-begin-on-20-october

On 9/4/2021 at 9:14 AM, adirondacksailor said:

Just out, Silversea is a GO - 

Silversea gets the green light to sail to Antarctica for 2021-2022 - Travelweek

On 9/5/2021 at 11:36 AM, kimanjo said:

3 hours ago, pickwright said:

It looks like the only places on our itinerary open to cruises are Puntas Arenas, Ushuaia, and Antarctica. Hurtigruten would have to switch us to some kind of 8-10 day new itinerary. Better be a good partial refund or option of cancelling. I know cruise lines all have the change of itinerary in their fine print, but losing half our cruise would be a lot. 

On 9/8/2021 at 1:20 PM, adirondacksailor said:

It looks like the only places on our itinerary open to cruises are Puntas Arenas, Ushuaia, and Antarctica. Hurtigruten would have to switch us to some kind of 8-10 day new itinerary. Better be a good partial refund or option of cancelling. I know cruise lines all have the change of itinerary in their fine print, but losing half our cruise would be a lot. 

Six weeks to our sailing and Hurtigruten emails to me this past week include-

• That they are proceeding with cruise as planned.
  • No upcoming Antarctica voyages have been cancelled. 
  • Passengers are to continue making travel arrangements.
  • Ship Manifest and Health Declaration forms are to be submitted in advance.
Edited by pickwright

2 hours ago, pickwright said:

• Ship Manifest and Health Declaration forms are to be submitted in advance.

Whoa! Maybe we are going! 

5 hours ago, pickwright said:

• Ship Manifest and Health Declaration forms are to be submitted in 
    3 hours ago, adirondacksailor said:

Whoa! Maybe we are going! 

Greg, are these emails in response to questions you‘ve emailed to Hurtigruten? Just curious, as I’ve never received an email from them since I booked the cruise.