Yacht Club Grand Suite 10632 Splendida

mklions

Hi,

My TA has come up with an alternative cruise holiday for us, sailing on Splendida in a Yacht Club Suite.

We normally sail with the likes of Seabourn, Silversea and Oceania.

Never considered this line before but the more I read the more I find that it could be for us.

I would like to ask a few questions if I may,

Does the balcony in the YC Grand Suite have loungers?

How does the YC compare to Seabourn and Silversea?

What toiletries are to be found in a YC suite?

Can you dine from the restaurant menu on our suite balcony?

Is the food in the YC restaurant comparable to that of other premium luxury cruise lines?

Thank in advance.

Mklions.

Hi

Did you mean 16032?? We have done 10 weeks in YC during 2018/2020 split between Preziosa/Splendida and the newer Bellissima and Meraviglia prior to that we cruised Celebrity Cunard HAL and Princess. On Splendida the YC restaurant is at the back of the

Liz ship not within the YC area so I doubt you could dine on the balcony ( you may get a pizza delivered from the buffet and they are good) We have not sailed in the Grand suite but the deluxe suite balcony is just wide enough for 2 chairs and a small table (like a footstool) The toiletries are not special MSC own brand.

We last sailed in Feb 2020 on Bellissima and the food has improved since our first Preziosa cruise, but it does have its ups and downs not as good as Celebrity or HAL, I cannot compare to Princess as not sailed on them for a while.  Hope that helps a little, others may have different opinions

Liz

Edited by emmas gran

Just to add:  The only time you can have dinner in your stateroom on any MSC ship, regardless of class of cabin (other than what’s available on the room service menu), is if you’re ill or confined for any other reason. 

The pizza on the room service menu doesn’t come from the buffet (on Fantasia class ships, anyway) but from the wine bar, where pizza is sold, and is far better quality and choice than the ones at the buffet.

It’s highly doubtful that YC food would come anywhere near what’s offered on the more luxury lines, but, then, you’re not paying anywhere near their prices, either (although YC prices are certainly going in that direction - especially on the new ships).

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Just to add:  The only time you can have dinner in your stateroom on any MSC ship, regardless of class of cabin (other than what’s available on the room service menu), is if you’re ill or confined for any other reason. 

The pizza on the room service menu doesn’t come from the buffet (on Fantasia class ships, anyway) but from the wine bar, where pizza is sold, and is far better quality and choice than the ones at the buffet.

It’s highly doubtful that YC food would come anywhere near what’s offered on the more luxury lines, but, then, you’re not paying anywhere near their prices, either (although YC prices are certainly going in that direction - especially on the new ships).

Hi Bea I just looked at the deck plan and if the OP is referring to 16032 the only difference to regular YC balcony is it's one of the square cabins so a little larger.

Edited by emmas gran
spelling

Hi Liz.    Yeah, I thought that, too.  If so, it’ll have a bigger balcony which can fit loungers.  We managed to get one put onto our balcony on one of our sailings (DH didn’t want one) but were  refused by our butler another time as they were “needed on the pool deck” 🙄

We got Bulgari when we sailed with Celebrity.  I think they may have discontinued the brand shortly after that?

What do you think of the increasing YC prices - especially for balcony cabins on the new ships?   Are they really worth it, do you think?   Personally we can’t justify the huge difference between them and the prices for YINs just for the balcony that we don’t have much use for - we hang out on the pool deck and in TSL much more when we don’t have a balcony cabin.  But, does the service and food offerings justify the cost?

16 hours ago, mklions said:

Hi,

My TA has come up with an alternative cruise holiday for us, sailing on Splendida in a Yacht Club Suite.

Never considered this line before but the more I read the more I find that it could be for us.

Is the food in the YC restaurant comparable to that of other premium luxury cruise lines?

Thank in advance.

Mklions.

Hi,

Thank in advance.

Mklions.

Yacht Club experience used to be excellent value not so good now and in our opinion not worth the additional cost.

Although we’ve only once been disappointed with yacht club you definitely can’t compare it with the fantastic experience we’ve always had on Seabourn Silversea and Oceania and would hope your travel agent can find you an acceptable cruise on the three mentioned.

I’d try and stick with those three.

49 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

What do you think of the increasing YC prices - especially for balcony cabins on the new ships?   Are they really worth it, do you think?   Personally we can’t justify the huge difference between them and the prices for YINs just for the balcony that we don’t have much use for - we hang out on the pool deck and in TSL much more when we don’t have a balcony cabin.  But, does the service and food offerings justify the cost?

We have transatlantic on Seashore end of Oct and got a good price early on last year, however may cancel as not happy with cruising with un-vaccinated people on an 18 days voyage. My concern is if there is an outbreak of Covid are we all confined to rooms as there is nowhere to offload passengers mid Atlantic

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

We have transatlantic on Seashore end of Oct and got a good price early on last year, however may cancel as not happy with cruising with un-vaccinated people on an 18 days voyage. My concern is if there is an outbreak of Covid are we all confined to rooms as there is nowhere to offload passengers mid Atlantic

Fully agree we wouldn’t cruise with un-vaccinated passengers.

Hi thanks for all the replies, yes my mistake the cabin quoted is the Grand Suite 16032. Slightly wider balcony than the normal YC suites.

Disappointed to hear that most view the YC experience not as not as good as Silversea and Seabourn.

The cruise in question is a 14 nighter starting at Barcelona going  to Tenerife, Madeira and then around the med before finishing up back at Barcelona.

I'm also starting to think that in late November  the weather would not be to good either?

Perhaps I will wait..

Kind regards all,

Mklions.

• Like 2

Hi thanks for all the replies, yes my mistake the cabin quoted is the Grand Suite 16032. Slightly wider balcony than the normal YC suites.

Disappointed to hear that most view the YC experience not as not as good as Silversea and Seabourn.

The cruise in question is a 14 nighter starting at Barcelona going  to Tenerife, Madeira and then around the med before finishing up back at Barcelona.

I'm also starting to think that in late November  the weather would not be to good either?

Perhaps I will wait..

Kind regards all,

Mklions.

Good decision.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 3:09 AM, emmas gran said:

On Splendida the YC restaurant is at the back of the

Liz ship not within the YC area so I doubt you could dine on the balcony ( you may get a pizza delivered from the buffet and they are good)

Can you please explain your words in bold above?  Are you saying that the YC on Splendida does not have a restaurant within the YC?

Hi

That's correct some of the ships have the restaurant at the back, you have to walk the length of the ship which is lovely on a nice evening.  If you look at Preziosa deck plan and deck 15 at the back there is a pool before that it is YC restaurant, so sometimes when you are dining you get full view of all sorts of shapes sizes and different levels of swimwear as people have the sunbeds around therei This is on the Splendida Divina Preziosa Fantasia not sure of any others, maybe someone else will comment

• Like 1

You’re quite right, Liz.  It’s only on the 4 Fantasia-class ships which you’ve named that the YC restaurant is at the back of the ship.  The “views” often leave a lot to be desired 😱.  We’ve often had cause to pull down the blinds 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1