new to Oceania - open seating?

harrtchr

We will be sailing on the Insignia this summer. Do they have open seating for dinner??

Since it is a smaller ship than the Celebrity ships that we are used to, do they only have one seating, or is there an Early and Main seating?

We will be sailing on the Insignia this summer. Do they have open seating for dinner??

Since it is a smaller ship than the Celebrity ships that we are used to, do they only have one seating, or is there an Early and Main seating?

You should certainly ask your TA all the things Oceania has that are different from other ships..I think you will be pleasantly surprised..

Jan

Yes, seating is totally open in the main dining room and NO formal nights.

We are traditionailsts and have always preferred regularly assigned tables and dining times. We actively disliked the "Freestyle" dining on Norwegian Sun and the "Personal Choice" dining on Diamond Princess.

That being said - we had little trouble with the open seating on our Insignia voyage down the Amazon this past March. Our fairly lengthly review of this cruise is on this site. For one thing, the maitre'd was always accomodating with respect to requests. Then, since it is a small ship, we sat with people we had become at least casually acquainted with several times. You do have to keep track of the time, though, if you want to make the evening entertainment. We never had a problem with waiting to be seated however.

You must make reservations for the specialty restaurants (although there is no charge for them) so you can specify the time and hope you get it.

We felt that the food in the main dining room was at least as good as on Celebrity and the buffet food better. We liked the specialty restaurants, but did not think they were quite up to the United States on Infinity and Olympic on Millenium - but then again you pay extra for these.

And don't miss the afternoon tea.

Though I am a big fan of "traditional" cruise dining room seating (I won't get into all of the reasons here), actually, in a way, the Oceania "open seating" works very well for certain itineraries...For example, on our upcoming Nautica cruise, we have "overnights" in two ports...For Mykonos and Kotor, we arrive in port at 2:00 pm and 3:00 pm, respectively, and don't sail away until 11:00 pm, we have two "at sea" days, in Istanbul, we sail away at 11:00 pm and in Taormina, we set sail at 4:00 pm...For the other ports, we set sail at 6:00 pm...

Being able to adjust one's dining hour on a days to day basis allows one to customize the manner in how and for how long one tours in port...No rigidity of having to be on the ship at the same time each evening (Of course, we usually handle this on ships with traditional seating by availing ourselves of the alternative restaurants--often with a cost)...

With that in mind, the big question is "what exactly are the 'hours' the restaurants are serving breakfast, lunch and dinner?"

Breakfast:

6:30 AM - 11:00 AM Coffee Corner Horizons Lounge

6:30 AM - 10:30 AM In-suite Breakfast Room SXervice

7:30 AM - 10:00 AM Breakfast Buffet Terrace Cafe

8:00 AM - 9:30 AM Grand Dining Room

Lunch:

11:30 AM - 4:00 PM Waves Grill

12:00 PM - 2:00 PM Terrace Cafe Buffet

12:30 PM - 2:00 PM Grand Dining Room

Dinner:

6:30 PM - 9:30 PM Grand Dining Room

6:30 PM - 9:00 PM Tapas on the Terrace Buffet

6:30 PM - 9:00 PM Toscana Restaurant

6:30 PM - 9:00 PM Polo Grill Restaurant

Those are the latest times to be seated, not the closing hours. Some days the hours in the Grand Dining Room were adjusted because of the port that day.

Going on an O cruise in a couple weeks. Question: Is Horizons just coffee or is there some type of continental fare available there, as well? My husband is an early riser....even 6:30 would be a late breakfast for him.

We realize he's an exception, not the rule.

I love it member..problem is I tried to avoid it because my favorite thing to eat is scones and clotted cream..(so fattening) the little sandwiches are also wonderful..I used to run up annd pick some up and then go off to trivia..

Jan

Archived